GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man. well for some reason the noise has disappeared. I will wait until it comes back to take it to the dealer and tell them about the seal

FYI... mine came back today. What's the longest anybody has driven with the whistle and not had a failure?

GTIProject

Ready to race!
Had another car come in with 1400 miles on it and opened a Tech Support ticket. Apparently there is a revision in the works. Word has it that the seal inside the pump makes noise after being run dry - due to dry initial startup of the engine. It takes a while for the seal to make noise but it will. TACs has said that priming the w/pump with coolant before installing it and pressure filling the system for 30 min should help prevent the noise after replacement. But a fix is in the works.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Had another car come in with 1400 miles on it and opened a Tech Support ticket. Apparently there is a revision in the works. Word has it that the seal inside the pump makes noise after being run dry - due to dry initial startup of the engine. It takes a while for the seal to make noise but it will. TACs has said that priming the w/pump with coolant before installing it and pressure filling the system for 30 min should help prevent the noise after replacement. But a fix is in the works.

Great news, and thanks for sharing! Any chance you can report back here once you know the fix is ready?

dirty_dub

Ready to race!
You mean the longest you've run after the whistle started was 600 miles before the water pump completely failed?

No the longest I have been on a new water pump before the noise started was 600 miles. I'm going to the dealership tommorow for my 3rd replacement.

GTIProject

Ready to race!
I'll try and post back here as soon as we see an updated pump and an new PN. Mind you our W/P's will probably come out for the longitudinal engines.

tman1

Ready to race!
After I had the initial problem and got the car back unfixed from service, I did the usual pressure release after a drive for a few times and now the sound has completely disappeared. I check everytime I get home for the whine and it's gone. Hopefully it won't come back.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I believe mine just started acting up at 4k miles :(

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion

My water pump is making the high pitch noise now consistently at 3.4k miles. It did for about two days at 700miles and then went away.
Was gonna ring the dealer tomorrow to get it sorted. Would I better leaving it a while for this fix to be released? Or will it be ages away and i should just get it replaced now and then see?
I suppose I need to tell them to change the seal too. Although that's going to be hard to get them to take notice.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
I just got rid of the sound by opening the coolant cap to release pressure, as others seem to have done. Let the engine run for a good while and it didn't come back.
So is it an issue and requires a dealer visit when this doesn't get rid of the sound?
I dont know if it will return soon.
Guess I'll hold off on that call.

EDIT: Back next day. Booking it in

Last edited: