GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5L Engine Specifications

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Dollar was pretty close to par in 2010 as well (hovering around $0.95-.98 US for each Canadian $). 2009 was a major difference (varying from .75-.90 US for each CAD$). We have been bouncing around par since 2010 give or take.

Either way, in Canada, the duties on vehicles are very high on non NAFTA vehicles (6.5% last time I checked) and I have to pay HST (federal and provincial tax combined) of 13% on the purchase price. Our destination charge (freight and PDI up here) is nearly double yours (1400 vs 800).

BUT, I get leather interior as an option (which I dont think you folks have on a regular golf) and a bunch of other stuff that are extras.

Its a different market and completely different trim level then whats available "down south".

It all adds up.. ;)

leather, MFSW, 17" alloys, fogs for ~ a 10k price difference(after taxes)

you can get all that done under 5k here

it's even more bizarre that the gti doesnt come with the option of a mfsw

Jchilvz

Ready to race!
One thing I just learned is that a GTI is only 205hp...

WOW.. I would have thought it was more than that.

Oh, and funny thing, up in Canada, by the time everything was said and done, my 2.5 was over 30k.. HAHA... Lucky Americans...

Anyway, good luck to everyone's quest to push power out of the 2.5. I respect what you are trying to do (or are doing) but its really not for me. The goal of this car is a reliable daily driver.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Did you call me American???? Ive got a bone to pick with you...im British mate, but u are right, theyre cheaper in the US than anywhere
Else... Mexican parts?

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
Did you call me American???? Ive got a bone to pick with you...im British mate, but u are right, theyre cheaper in the US than anywhere
Else... Mexican parts?

Made in Germany, Assembled in Mexico :thumbsup:

Jchilvz

Ready to race!
yet the currency is the same, and we get the MFSW in USA.
damn canadians being all weird and spensive.

if i were you id come down to amurika and buy a gti here and drive back up.

COMMONWEALTH... the queens head is worth something... HAHAHAHA why i got the fuck outta england...

Seriously though is the exchange rate that bad right now? Its 1.57$ to 1£... That euro is a piece of shit too... Canada, australia, south africa, and everywhere else the brits went just got fucked over...

Going back to cars...

Why dont you just buy it in America then? Save 10k?

Jchilvz

Ready to race!
One thing I just learned is that a GTI is only 205hp...

WOW.. I would have thought it was more than that.

Oh, and funny thing, up in Canada, by the time everything was said and done, my 2.5 was over 30k.. HAHA... Lucky Americans...

Anyway, good luck to everyone's quest to push power out of the 2.5. I respect what you are trying to do (or are doing) but its really not for me. The goal of this car is a reliable daily driver.

Thanks everyone for the input.

So have you heard of an SRI and tune? Yes vance, im talking about it again... I know its annoying but i hate it when people buy a gti coz they think its SO much faster... Its 35 more... Thats it... And mines fine as a daily... Coz its just a manifold

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
i believe it was around 4-5$ for all the parts. and its the shops car so.. free labor :w00t:

There was FAR more than $4-5K in parts put into the Rabbit. Most of it is entirely one-off/custom, too. Keep an eye out for it this year! :thumbsup:

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
There was FAR more than $4-5K in parts put into the Rabbit. Most of it is entirely one-off/custom, too.

How much would you say was put into the turbo alone, just the engine work, no labor, no roll cage, no racing set up.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
I'll see if I can compile a list for you guys, but it's definitely going to be a bit tricky considering how much went into the engine build/turbo setup. While compiling the list, I'll try and put price tags to give a sense of what it would cost to replicate.

There are a lot of obstacles that you don't foresee being in the way until you make 500+HP and things happen. Not to mention, you're not going to be able to realistically put that kind of power to the ground without a drivetrain that is spec'd to handle it. Lots of trial, error, and work was put into making that car what you see in the video's.

Blueteam

Ready to race!
The price difference is all about tarrifs and shtuff, Canada is looking into getting rid of them.

An acura produced in canada shipped to the US is 43,000.

If it was sold in the same town it was built in, (Canada) the price is over 52,000.

VWOA wont sell us the cheaper cars so we suck there too.