GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP. URGENT

TcGill92mkvi

A couple days ago, my car died on me.. Well didn't die, just won't start now. I've searched forums for hours on end, and can't find anything.
But here we go. I've got a 2011 Gti 2.0l TSI CBFA with 76kmi.
I drove to work as if it were a normal day, no issues with the car. An hour or so into my day, I decided to go grab breakfast for a couple of the guys. Went and came back, again no issues. Fast forward to 6-7 hours later, I go to warm my car up before getting ready to leave for the night. I push the clutch in and go to turn the key, I don't hear the car wanting to start. All I hear is what sounds like the starter motor spinning. I've got the feeling of no compression, or no spark. The car doesn't even ATTEMPT to start, no spitting or sputtering, NOTHING.
The next day, I was able to push it into the shop(I work for a Nissan dealer) and start "diagnosing". One of my coworkers was able to see through the oil filler hole, that a roller rocker was just laying in open space, as opposed to sitting on its lifter(or VW's variant). Started a little disassemble, to find out that just about all my intake rockers are the same way, either turned in place, or just laying out of the way. I haven't been able to disassemble deeper, because I don't know where to go from here. I've taken what I believe is the oil separator off, but cannot find the rest of the bolts to remove the cam/valve cover. I was told from our VW store, that its highly possible that one of the timing guides/tensioners could have exploded and there is a TSB for this issue. Also, I was informed there is a dealer only tool to keep the cam gears in time while removing cams?
From what we've got off of the car, I don't see much damage, just some tweaked clips on the rockers.
Please don't go criticizing me on what I've got going on. I've owned the car about two years and this is the FIRST serious issue I've really had, and would like to keep my out of pocket costs as low as possible. Any advice, or tips, or how to's would be greatly appreciated. If it's easier to just straight up email me, my email is thomas.gilluley@gmail.com
Again, I appreciate any feedback. And the sooner the better, as this is my daily driver.

FullSizeR (1).jpg

FullSizeR (2).jpg

red_stapler

Ready to race!
The cam followers popping off like that suggests that the timing chain tensioner failed. Time to pull off the cover and see what's inside.

TcGill92mkvi

The cam followers popping off like that suggests that the timing chain tensioner failed. Time to pull off the cover and see what's inside.

I have heard that there is a TSB from VW about tensioners blowing to pieces, which would be a bit more catastrophic, I feel. But while it was cranking, the cams could be seen spinning.

Uberryan

Banned
Remove the timing chain shroud and investigate. Right now it doesn't look good. If the timing chain has jumped, put that back together the way you found it and tow it to the dealer. See if they'll fix it for you. I'm not aware of any timing chain TSB/Recalls/Extended warranties currently open for this right now.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
A tensioner TSB would be so good. Especially if VW picks up the cost. I'm dreaming here.

Edited due to brain fart....

Last edited:

Chockomon

There is a TSB - 1512-01 for the timing chain tensioner

15 12 01

July 23, 2012

2028302 *Supersedes T.B. V151104 dated December 22, 2011 to remove European exhaust warning light reference in text and add additional model year applicability. *

Zoom Sized for Print
Vehicle Information

Condition

Engine Rattling Noises after Start, Engine Doesn't Start, Timing Chain Slipped

Customer may state:

^ Rattling noises after engine start from front of the vehicle or engine compartment.
^ Engine does not start.
*^ MIL ON*

Zoom Sized for Print
The following entries are logged in the engine control module (ECM):

Technical Background

Timing chain tension may be incorrect due to tensioner.
As a result, the timing chain can skip and causing contact between the pistons and valves.
Production Solution

Service

If timing chain is suspect, perform the following:

^ Complete the DTC entries according to guided fault finding (GFF).
^ Remove the lower timing chain cover, see Repair Manual Group 15 in ElsaWeb.
^ Check the timing chain tensioner as follows:

Zoom Sized for Print
^ Compress the tensioning rail of the timing chain (illustration 1, No. 2) by hand against the timing chain tensioner (Figure 1, No. 1).

Zoom Sized for Print
If the piston of the timing chain tensioner cannot be compressed by hand after several attempts (Figure 3, green arrow), further engine diagnosis is required.

Tip:
Inspect intake camshaft and camshaft bearing for damage.
If the piston of the timing chain tensioner can be compressed in by hand (Figure 2, red arrow) the timing chain tensioner has failed, and further engine diagnosis may be required.
Tip:
If engine noises or no start condition remain, inspect pistons and valves for contact damage. If engine damage is noted, cylinder head or engine may need to be replaced.
Warranty

Information only.

Required Parts and Tools

No Special Parts required.

No Special Tools required.

Additional Information

All part and service references provided in this Technical Bulletin are subject to change and/or removal.
Always check with your Parts Dept. and Repair Manuals for the latest information.

TcGill92mkvi

i know it's been quite some time since i've been on. but i've got an update on the car, well i've been driving it for about a month now. so the tensioner did fail, took out half of my valves. my mechanic was able to send the head out to a machine shop and get that all taken care of. he replaced the oil pan for me(unrelated) cuz it was dented to shit. he went through the bottom end to chase down "needle bearings," luckily no serious issues arose from that. i was originally quoted about $4500 from the local VW dealer, and my mechanic agreed that the price didn't sound far off. all said and done, the whole job cost me $3200 and three months in a free loaner (i work for a dealer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk