GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I feel a lot of small bumps/resistance/things stuck to the paint after I wash. I feel like if I ClayBar, it will just drag these particles and swirl the clear. What should I do to start removing these 'chunks' of whatever it is from the paint?

*They are stuck from after a wash with light pressure on a mitt

a clay bar can be a good solution or if they are just tiny spots here and there you can spot fix them with Stoner's Tarminator

McQueen77

Banned
Post-Body Shop Swirls: Scratch X + Polish + Wax didnt really work

Ok, I've got one. 3 months ago or so I had my hood repainted due to pretty heavy rock chip damage caused by Semi truck rock spray. It was covered by State Farm comp deductible, rates didnt go up, went to a highly recommended shop locally that is a state farm approved place and I was happy with the work they did.

Fast forward a few months and I'm at the gas station under bright florescent lights and I notice a bunch of swirls. Shit. No way it was car wash related because the rest of the car w/OEM paint is fine. Must have been caused by their rotary buffer and sloppy work. So instead of taking it back to them (it has a liftime warranty, the work) I took matters into my own hands.

Meguires Scratch X 2.0, Deep Crystal Polish, applicators, mf towels and gold class wax. I followed a tutorial on their website and applied a few coats of the Scratch X, applying with 'passion' as they say, wiped down, followed with polish and then a wax. Thing is, while it helped get rid of the small scratches in the CC, there are still noticeable spots where they had a field day. When I say 'noticeable', I mean, to me, at angle under certain light. Most people wouldn't see unless they knew what to look for but I can see it. They did a number on it.

So I don't know what to do. The hood looks good, like i said most people wouldn't notice, but I can tell they did a shit job looking at those scratches and swirls. Seems like I should have used something more aggressive like ultimate compound but I don't want to screw anything up.

So what do I do? Live with it? I cant really bring it back and say, "see that, at this angle, see those swirls? redo it". Their customer service is excellent and they prob would redo it, but theyd probably just screw it up again. I don't want to drop a grand on pro detail so I'm kind of stuck.

Sorry so long. Thanks!

HandGrenade06

Ready to race!
I have minor swirling and spider lines in my paint on (Candy White) the cars close to 2 yrs old and id like to purchase an orbital and products to remove them but im scared to death of damaging my paint being that I've never buffed before. What do you think?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Ok, I've got one. 3 months ago or so I had my hood repainted due to pretty heavy rock chip damage caused by Semi truck rock spray. It was covered by State Farm comp deductible, rates didnt go up, went to a highly recommended shop locally that is a state farm approved place and I was happy with the work they did.

Fast forward a few months and I'm at the gas station under bright florescent lights and I notice a bunch of swirls. Shit. No way it was car wash related because the rest of the car w/OEM paint is fine. Must have been caused by their rotary buffer and sloppy work. So instead of taking it back to them (it has a liftime warranty, the work) I took matters into my own hands.

Meguires Scratch X 2.0, Deep Crystal Polish, applicators, mf towels and gold class wax. I followed a tutorial on their website and applied a few coats of the Scratch X, applying with 'passion' as they say, wiped down, followed with polish and then a wax. Thing is, while it helped get rid of the small scratches in the CC, there are still noticeable spots where they had a field day. When I say 'noticeable', I mean, to me, at angle under certain light. Most people wouldn't see unless they knew what to look for but I can see it. They did a number on it.

So I don't know what to do. The hood looks good, like i said most people wouldn't notice, but I can tell they did a shit job looking at those scratches and swirls. Seems like I should have used something more aggressive like ultimate compound but I don't want to screw anything up.

So what do I do? Live with it? I cant really bring it back and say, "see that, at this angle, see those swirls? redo it". Their customer service is excellent and they prob would redo it, but theyd probably just screw it up again. I don't want to drop a grand on pro detail so I'm kind of stuck.

Sorry so long. Thanks!

do you have a photo of the imperfections, did you use an orbital polisher to clean up the paint?

most likely the body shop compounded and glazed the hood. Glaze fills paint once all of it is washed off you will see the imperfections left in the panels.

post up photos, I'm pretty sure you can fix it with an orbital polisher.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I have minor swirling and spider lines in my paint on (Candy White) the cars close to 2 yrs old and id like to purchase an orbital and products to remove them but im scared to death of damaging my paint being that I've never buffed before. What do you think?

sure take a look at these videos, I believe with an orbital polisher you should be ok, they are safe for the newbie as well as the advanced users.

Adam's Machine Polishing Videos

A few good orbital kits

Griot's and Menzerna
Griot's and Adam's

McQueen77

Banned
do you have a photo of the imperfections, did you use an orbital polisher to clean up the paint?

most likely the body shop compounded and glazed the hood. Glaze fills paint once all of it is washed off you will see the imperfections left in the panels.

post up photos, I'm pretty sure you can fix it with an orbital polisher.

i took some photos but the lighting wasn't adequate to show the imperfections. ill try again under neon lighting at the gas station again as that seemed to work best for me to see them initially. i just used the foam applicators for the scratch x and polish.. like i said, it took some of the scratches out but you can see some that are in there pretty good..

oSniper

Ready to race!
hi, i was trying to repair some paint chips on my hood and i had previously practiced repairing paint chips using the OEM paint pen + clear coat pen on a fender. after filling in the chips on the fender i used a unigrit sanding block to wetsand down the applied clear coat. it turned out quite well. but during the repairs on the hood i felt the block was sanding too big of an area and decided to use a small piece 2000 grit sand paper instead, with my finger..... i did about 7 spots at the same time and it wasn't until i polished out the spots that i realized i had caused noticeable dents at certain angles due to uneven sanding of the clearcoat... is there anything i can do to repair it? or should i leave it, stop wearing down the clear coat, and try not to think about it?

thanks

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
i took some photos but the lighting wasn't adequate to show the imperfections. ill try again under neon lighting at the gas station again as that seemed to work best for me to see them initially. i just used the foam applicators for the scratch x and polish.. like i said, it took some of the scratches out but you can see some that are in there pretty good..

it maybe a good idea to consider an orbital polisher and some good compounds and polishes.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
hi, i was trying to repair some paint chips on my hood and i had previously practiced repairing paint chips using the OEM paint pen + clear coat pen on a fender. after filling in the chips on the fender i used a unigrit sanding block to wetsand down the applied clear coat. it turned out quite well. but during the repairs on the hood i felt the block was sanding too big of an area and decided to use a small piece 2000 grit sand paper instead, with my finger..... i did about 7 spots at the same time and it wasn't until i polished out the spots that i realized i had caused noticeable dents at certain angles due to uneven sanding of the clearcoat... is there anything i can do to repair it? or should i leave it, stop wearing down the clear coat, and try not to think about it?

thanks

if there are dents in the panel you may want to find a paintless dent removal expert to fix them for you.

oSniper

Ready to race!
sorry, they're not actually dents.. they are valleys in the clear coat because I sanded too much in one specific area

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
sorry, they're not actually dents.. they are valleys in the clear coat because I sanded too much in one specific area

any photos you can share, if you sanded too much you may need to respray the area.