GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ask Detailer's Domain. Have a question ask us?

cantdrive55

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a quick one. The rubber trim around my windows is starting to fade as well as the plastic trim under the doors and the exhaust valence. I've got 303 protectant which seems to do okay I guess but it doesn't seem to last too long and doesn't really darken the plastics. I've been reading about Adam's VRT would that do better?

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I've got a quick one. The rubber trim around my windows is starting to fade as well as the plastic trim under the doors and the exhaust valence. I've got 303 protectant which seems to do okay I guess but it doesn't seem to last too long and doesn't really darken the plastics. I've been reading about Adam's VRT would that do better?

can you take a photo of it, as well have you cleaned the rubber trim prior to applying the 303?

as well have you cleaned the rear plastic valence prior to dressing?

cantdrive55

Passed Driver's Ed
can you take a photo of it, as well have you cleaned the rubber trim prior to applying the 303?

as well have you cleaned the rear plastic valence prior to dressing?

I'll take a picture tomorrow when its light out. And before I apply it I've always just washed it with my normal Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Should I clean it with something more than that?

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I have a brand new candy white GTI that needs its first round of paint care. What do you recommend right off the bat?

The car is garaged now but spent about a year in a dealer lot that is located in a warm/hot area of California. So I believe it did get plenty of sun and possibly some bad dealer car washes. Paint looks pretty clean to me and I don't see any swirls yet. Paint isn't slick ( lack of wax? ) and very slight bumpiness from what I can tell. So I'm guessing a good wash, clay, and the some kind of product to finish it?

I prefer to do it all by hand. Actually have some Zaino product left over from a previous car that I might use too but I'm also fine with buying new products if something better has come along since then.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I'll take a picture tomorrow when its light out. And before I apply it I've always just washed it with my normal Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. Should I clean it with something more than that?

ok

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
I have a brand new candy white GTI that needs its first round of paint care. What do you recommend right off the bat?

The car is garaged now but spent about a year in a dealer lot that is located in a warm/hot area of California. So I believe it did get plenty of sun and possibly some bad dealer car washes. Paint looks pretty clean to me and I don't see any swirls yet. Paint isn't slick ( lack of wax? ) and very slight bumpiness from what I can tell. So I'm guessing a good wash, clay, and the some kind of product to finish it?

I prefer to do it all by hand. Actually have some Zaino product left over from a previous car that I might use too but I'm also fine with buying new products if something better has come along since then.

this would be a great kit to start out with .

Adam's Essentials Kit.

There are videos please take a look.

The slick feel will be back after you clay the car.

Phil

bkpr

Ready to race!
Hey Phil. Quick question with some preamble:

I have completed my first exterior detail of my pretty new car. I have applied two coats of Tough Coat, with 12hrs in between to dry. The combination of clay bar + Auto Finesse Tough Coat make the surface feel like glass! Thanks for your product advice and quick shipping.

My question: now that I've detailed the car, what would you recommend as general washes in between detailings? Specifically, after I wash/dry the car would you leave it at that, or would you give it a quick hit with something like detail spray (or another product) to keep the shine on? With detail spray after a wash make any difference to the appearance of the paint?

Thanks!

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Phil what is your take on oil spraying for corrosion protection? A friend of mine who is a car collector swears by it, but I am not sure if it makes sense or may cause other issues. I want to keep the gti long term.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Hey Phil. Quick question with some preamble:

I have completed my first exterior detail of my pretty new car. I have applied two coats of Tough Coat, with 12hrs in between to dry. The combination of clay bar + Auto Finesse Tough Coat make the surface feel like glass! Thanks for your product advice and quick shipping.

My question: now that I've detailed the car, what would you recommend as general washes in between detailings? Specifically, after I wash/dry the car would you leave it at that, or would you give it a quick hit with something like detail spray (or another product) to keep the shine on? With detail spray after a wash make any difference to the appearance of the paint?

Thanks!

awesome post some photos I just did our 2 cars with Tough Coat and it looks amazing!

You can wash the car and dry it and maybe spritz a detail spray on it to keep it nice and shiny.

Phil

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Phil what is your take on oil spraying for corrosion protection? A friend of mine who is a car collector swears by it, but I am not sure if it makes sense or may cause other issues. I want to keep the gti long term.

I'm not familiar with it.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Phil any tips or recommendations for snow removal from the car in the winter. I just put my snow removal brush in the hatch, and although it is not the cheapest brush, the bristles are very stiff which make me think I am scratching the car while clearing snow. I am thinking of getting a car cover for at home but I will have to clean snow off it at some point.

mikent256

Ready to race!
Any tips for removing Rain-X from the front windshield? I don't have a Porter Cable to buff off with Glass Polish.

DetailersDomain.com

Go Kart Champion
Phil any tips or recommendations for snow removal from the car in the winter. I just put my snow removal brush in the hatch, and although it is not the cheapest brush, the bristles are very stiff which make me think I am scratching the car while clearing snow. I am thinking of getting a car cover for at home but I will have to clean snow off it at some point.

I usually warm up the car and use something very gentle, if you use your brush just don't go to the paint.