GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ideas for a JL Audio 12w7 (or similar size/spec) build

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for the suggestion.

If you are making your own spacers, cut it about the same outer diameter as the speaker. Don't make it too big or you'll have issues when putting the door panel back on. The curve of the panel around the speaker is limited. You will encounter this problem with the front doors but the rear doors have more room.

pjd2011

Passed Driver's Ed
Never saw your reply to me previously. Yeah so I checked an it's the MB Quart 10" in the stealth box. Pretty muffled from what I used to have. Definitely considering switching it with a JL shallow mount or getting back into something bigger and taking up half my hatch space in the process.

If you check my thread I just recently built a custom box for the spare tire well. If you're willing to remove the tire you have quite a bit of space to make a nice box. My two 12" MB's have about .55'^3 to work with and I'd say SPL wise are right there with my old Type X.

SQ wise they're nowhere close but I'm in the process of exchanging some equipment out like my way overpowered M12 amplifier and faulty LCQ-1.

Since I had to replug in the stock Dynaudio amplifier until I get the processor back...wow...you will never want to go back.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
If you check my thread I just recently built a custom box for the spare tire well. If you're willing to remove the tire you have quite a bit of space to make a nice box. My two 12" MB's have about .55'^3 to work with and I'd say SPL wise are right there with my old Type X.

SQ wise they're nowhere close but I'm in the process of exchanging some equipment out like my way overpowered M12 amplifier and faulty LCQ-1.

Since I had to replug in the stock Dynaudio amplifier until I get the processor back...wow...you will never want to go back.

You got a link for me brother?

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Dude, this was most helpful! Did the butyl rope/3m rope caulk help significantly with road noise and rattling? How much did the marine plywood run you?

The butyl rope/strip caulk is to basically decouple the wood and the plastic at the door from one another. While it won't help with road noise, it will stop the two panels from vibrating against one another and provide a fairly airtight seal.

The marine plywood came in a small piece from either Lowes or Home Depot, can't remember which one. It was less than $20 for that piece. I also used truck bed liner from Harbor Freight to coat the baffles. IMHO that stuff is a bargain at $7 and change per can!

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Well after realizing my sub was completely blown, I decided to throw down the cash for the best of the best. The JL TW3 does not fit in the uber stealth box because of the mounting diameter so I got out the saw and went to town maybe small adjustments until finally it slid down as snug as you could imagine. There's a week break in period so I will report back to y'all after the new year and give some feedback on this subs performance. I may be building a new ported box to JL specifications depending on how this sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk