GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 TSI DIY Install

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I just learned earlier tonight that it works beautifully with the APR V3.1 tune - so I went for it

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=98683&share_fid=11483&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most likely not worthwhile if you're just going K04 now - but since I'm already running the software and only needed to replace the physical turbo, it was a good opportunity to get a little more flexibility to experiment with new tunes later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I'm assuming this has been addressed before...but how do you guys who have done the job feel about this technique of dropping the turbo out the bottom instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This guy couldn't get that 6mm heat shield bolt out so he pulled it from the bottom with the shield still on. An interesting option for sure, but I would first start by tackling those bolts with lots of pb blaster (prior to installation day) and pb the day of.

Actual cool video..

when you guys PB blasted the heat shield bolts. How did you go about doing such? From the top, or under the car?

Under the car, It seems the axle shield would be in the way.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Actual cool video..

when you guys PB blasted the heat shield bolts. How did you go about doing such? From the top, or under the car?

I plan on just hooking up pb blaster to a pressure washer and hosing the whole front 1/2 of the car down when I do this job [emoji23]

mto386

Go Kart Newbie
Actual cool video..

Top works fine. You remove the axle shield with the two bolts.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Actual cool video..

The axle heat shield is SUPER easy to remove and is not torqued down tightly. If you're doing it from the top, you likely have to remove your intake or rotate it out of the way in one piece (I've done this before, it's pretty handy actually).

The top is probably the best way to access the pain in the ass bolt on the manifold. Let's also not forget about the other 6mm allen on the turbo support shield. This one is easy to get to from the bottom.

I would say, spray every god damned bolt.... drive the car afterward to heat things up, spray it again if you can without burning yourself or just do it again the day after.

FYI, expect smoke from the PB burning off. It's normal and should go away.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
The axle heat shield is SUPER easy to remove and is not torqued down tightly. If you're doing it from the top, you likely have to remove your intake or rotate it out of the way in one piece (I've done this before, it's pretty handy actually).

The top is probably the best way to access the pain in the ass bolt on the manifold. Let's also not forget about the other 6mm allen on the turbo support shield. This one is easy to get to from the bottom.

I would say, spray every god damned bolt.... drive the car afterward to heat things up, spray it again if you can without burning yourself or just do it again the day after.

FYI, expect smoke from the PB burning off. It's normal and should go away.

Pb blaster in a pressure washer [emoji23]

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I plan on just hooking up pb blaster to a pressure washer and hosing the whole front 1/2 of the car down when I do this job [emoji23]

The only bolts that fought me even after PB blaster were the original four nuts on the studs for the down pipe. Everything else came off pretty easily with little or no PB blaster even with 125k on the car. The one I see everyone worrying about tis the (I think 8mm) allen for the turbo support, didn't even PB it on mine, came out first crank. Just get on everything as square as possible and if it fights you try to tighten it a cunt hair then back it out, good luck!

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
i dont think i saw drain your coolant. not needed? those lines dont leak forever?

I actually just got done pulling my turbo. No need to drain the coolant or the oil.

The coolant spills out when you loosen the return line, but only maybe a quarter cup and then that line is empty.

It's just whatever is still pooled up in the turbo

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know what size stud I need to replace for the five 13mm nuts that secure the exhaust manifold to the block?

Four out of five pulled out on me today, and I'm just going to remove the fifth and replace them all.

But I threw them out cleaning up by accident :)

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I actually just got done pulling my turbo. No need to drain the coolant or the oil.

The coolant spills out when you loosen the return line, but only maybe a quarter cup and then that line is empty.

It's just whatever is still pooled up in the turbo

This can't be understated. Refilling the coolant in this car is a huge PITA once you drain the main circuit. Unless you have some reason to replace the coolant just let the coolant in the turbo circuit drain when you pull the lines. Anyways, draining the full system doesn't even prevent coolant from going everywhere when you pull the lines [emoji38]

Sincerely, XGC75

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
just get new oem studs at a vw or audi dealer. I bought new studs for my gti at the audi dealer, and it was like $3 for the set

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Anyone know what size stud I need to replace for the five 13mm nuts that secure the exhaust manifold to the block?

Four out of five pulled out on me today, and I'm just going to remove the fifth and replace them all.

But I threw them out cleaning up by accident :)

I have a few brand new from my install if youre interested.