GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Draining into Front Passenger Footwell

thetechy2

Is it pouring out from directly under the dash or does it roll down the side near the passenger door onto the floor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
i cant get the hose back in where it is supposed to connect but it was out of the actual dash i watched it pour

thetechy2

EDIT: i went to harbor freight and got forceps, plugged the hose in and now its leaking out the headliner!

Last edited:

FF_animal

Ready to race!
EDIT: i went to harbor freight and got forceps, plugged the hose in and now its leaking out the headliner!
Yup sounds like the sunroof seam leak I had. I used this waterproof sealant on the left (clear tube) and a small paint brush to put it on the seam. Let dry and water test again. Mine has been on for over two years and has held up good.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Fyi there is no documented fix I could find for this leak. I learned I had this issue from another member on here. Seems extremely rare but it's out there. Good luck. Hopefully that's your issue cause the sealant trick works.

thetechy2

Fyi there is no documented fix I could find for this leak. I learned I had this issue from another member on here. Seems extremely rare but it's out there. Good luck. Hopefully that's your issue cause the sealant trick works.

what seam exactly? i havent pulled the headliner yet so i dont know what im really asking for. i would think it would be the tube not having a connection where it attaches to the sunroof drainhole. thanks for all the help btw

FF_animal

Ready to race!
what seam exactly? i havent pulled the headliner yet so i dont know what im really asking for. i would think it would be the tube not having a connection where it attaches to the sunroof drainhole. thanks for all the help btw
Peek thru the headliner with the a pillar off with a flash light and check the connection.

thetechy2

Peek thru the headliner with the a pillar off with a flash light and check the connection.

i pulled back the headliner and the hose is solidly attached, its leaking from somewhere up there i think its at the corner next to the sunroof drain or something, i cant see exactly where its coming from, just a drip

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I’ve recently had a similar problem with the pano roof in my fathers Skoda yeti, it turned out water was tracing along the bottom of the outer rubber roof seal (where it overlaps the roof mech) and entering the interior between the roof and the sunroof cassette just above the A pillar drain, it was then running across the headliner and down the A pillar and into the footwell at the front of the door sill under the carpet, it took many hours to work it out but in the end I had to fit a whole new outer seal (stuck to the roof around the sunroof) it is now bone dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I’ve recently had a similar problem with the pano roof in my fathers Skoda yeti, it turned out water was tracing along the bottom of the outer rubber roof seal (where it overlaps the roof mech) and entering the interior between the roof and the sunroof cassette just above the A pillar drain, it was then running across the headliner and down the A pillar and into the footwell at the front of the door sill under the carpet, it took many hours to work it out but in the end I had to fit a whole new outer seal (stuck to the roof around the sunroof) it is now bone dry.

In addition to the existing seal for the glass itself or a direct replacement of the glass seal, that now seals to the roof as it should?

I seemingly have this issue as well at the rear of my roof, resolved the issue of the water running out the bottom of the drain tube and onto the headliner going to the driverside rear with a little RTV and parking the car in a downhill position. But, I'm sure another big rain storm will leave enough pooling water on the roof at any given time throughout it to have the water follow the interior just as you've described here rather than dropping into the tray and exiting via the drains at all four corners as it should

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
In addition to the existing seal for the glass itself or a direct replacement of the glass seal, that now seals to the roof as it should?

I seemingly have this issue as well at the rear of my roof, resolved the issue of the water running out the bottom of the drain tube and onto the headliner going to the driverside rear with a little RTV and parking the car in a downhill position. But, I'm sure another big rain storm will leave enough pooling water on the roof at any given time throughout it to have the water follow the interior just as you've described here rather than dropping into the tray and exiting via the drains at all four corners as it should

A direct replacement for the seal that is stuck to the roof around the glass panel (the seal that is visible from outside when the roof is closed).

Brunhilde967

2013 GTI Wolfsburg Passenger sunroof drain leak

What's going on fellas? I've had my 2013 GTI Wolfsburg for just about a year now. Picked her up used in great shape with only 45000kms on it! My only issue up until now...the dreaded mysterious wet floors in the passenger side. After having searched endlessly, I was finally told about gtimk6 forum. After listening to all your words of advice, I have found Ze Problem...

Disconnected drain line!!!!!

sauceman101

Ready to race!
What's going on fellas? I've had my 2013 GTI Wolfsburg for just about a year now. Picked her up used in great shape with only 45000kms on it! My only issue up until now...the dreaded mysterious wet floors in the passenger side. After having searched endlessly, I was finally told about gtimk6 forum. After listening to all your words of advice, I have found Ze Problem...

Disconnected drain line!!!!!

Glad to hear you found it. I hope your headliner didn't get too wet.

Mine got a bit wet on the driver side rear, prior to me repairing and realizing what was going on, where the water came from. Well half a summer of driving around windows and sunroom down and slightly humid. 40% of my headliner is now sagged and I'm ready for replacement in 9 y.o. car with 140k on it.

Also learned my cam chain stretch indicates I'm ready for timing chain 3.5k into k04:mad0259:

debaser2

Found this forum because I'm having the same problem on my 2013 GTI on the driver's side. I poured a bit of water down the drain hole in my sunroof and it spilled out through my dash by my pedals. I took off a little piece of trim and the side of my dashboard where the fusebox is and by peaking through a little crack, I could see the end of the drain tube hanging there not connected to anything. Problem is, I haven't the slightest idea of how to get at it. Anyone with a 2013 GTI know of an easy access to this?

I was thinking of getting a little piece of foam or rubber (maybe an earplug?) and just plugging that hole. Has anyone tried this quick fix? Obviously worried about the water then leaking in somewhere else, but I feel it would get funneled to the drain on the passenger side that does work correctly.

Judging from the amount of links online and YouTube videos, this seems like a really widespread issue. Curious if VW will ever do anything to remedy this. It's a little frustrating have to deal with this on a car that is just over 6 years old with only 75K miles...

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Found this forum because I'm having the same problem on my 2013 GTI on the driver's side. I poured a bit of water down the drain hole in my sunroof and it spilled out through my dash by my pedals. I took off a little piece of trim and the side of my dashboard where the fusebox is and by peaking through a little crack, I could see the end of the drain tube hanging there not connected to anything. Problem is, I haven't the slightest idea of how to get at it. Anyone with a 2013 GTI know of an easy access to this?

I was thinking of getting a little piece of foam or rubber (maybe an earplug?) and just plugging that hole. Has anyone tried this quick fix? Obviously worried about the water then leaking in somewhere else, but I feel it would get funneled to the drain on the passenger side that does work correctly.

Judging from the amount of links online and YouTube videos, this seems like a really widespread issue. Curious if VW will ever do anything to remedy this. It's a little frustrating have to deal with this on a car that is just over 6 years old with only 75K miles...
If you plug the drain tube the water will overflow at the top into the roof mech and will still get inside plus also damage the mech, get the tube re fitted and your problem will be solved.