GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just installed Downpipe, Need help

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Hey guys, I installed a catless downpipe on my CBFA GTI, I was wondering if I need to get an o2 sensor spacer so that the sensors won't go bad/get shot for when I put the stock downpipe back on to get my California smog test done? Is it okay to just leave the o2 sensors plugged or will they get shot from sensing all the sh*tty fumes?

Last edited:

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I think your sensors will be fine.

If anything, you can run an RAI J spacer (medium jet, post cat, facing front) and that usually gets rid of the CEL. But if you're stage 2, you should be able to clear that code anyway.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
I think your sensors will be fine.

If anything, you can run an RAI J spacer (medium jet, post cat, facing front) and that usually gets rid of the CEL. But if you're stage 2, you should be able to clear that code anyway.

Does the Cobb stage 2 clear the CEL? I just don't want to plug the sensors back in and have them be shot haha

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Does the Cobb stage 2 clear the CEL? I just don't want to plug the sensors back in and have them be shot haha
Cobb stage 2 does clear the CEL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
you dont want to space the front 1/2(if cbfa) as those are important to fueling the car. The only reason the 3rd one(cbfa) (2nd CCTA) is because that measure the efficiency of the cat and pops the code on some people so its spaced to only ever get a tiny sniff of fumes instead of a lot to prevent the code from showing up and causing a CEL.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!

Don't know because I've been using the spacer since I put on the downpipe. And I put on the downpipe prior to me going stage 2.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
it depends where you live and what your emission tests are.. stage 2 tunes (from what i understand) clear the CEL ONLY because it codes out enough of the failing perameters to keep the CEL off, but there are still perameters that arent normal to the car or that are failing... for example: In the next county over from me, they put a sniffer on and a OBDII reader, so guys with tuned cars still need to run a 90 degree spacer on their rear O2. Normally though, if you have at least a stage 2 tune, you probably will be fine. If you are stock-stage1 you will need to TRY and mess w/ spacers to clear the CEL. So if you are stage 2 you normally are good w/ them as they are.. but some places because of the way they test, you will still need to space the rear one (probably not tho)

Sauce118

Ready to race!
He's in California so hell have to remove the whole downpipe to pass emissions anyway spacer or not

Very well... So it doesnt affect performance to have the CEL on at all.. just preference whether or not you want to see it on your dash.. But spacers SHOULD get rid of it for you if u see it. But from what the guys prior said, COBB like most other tunes, will delete it for O2 purposes... Best of Luck...

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Yeah I'm not worried about the CEL I can clear it in 5 seconds with the accessport, but I primarily just want to make sure the o2's will still read well on the stock downpipe after reading 2 years of all the sh*t coming out on the catless. Thanks for the replies everyone.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Yeah I'm not worried about the CEL I can clear it in 5 seconds with the accessport, but I primarily just want to make sure the o2's will still read well on the stock downpipe after reading 2 years of all the sh*t coming out on the catless. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Your best bet is the spacer then. It may not help with inspections, but I never had the CEL for a month I had a downpipe and stock tune.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Should read fine but if you are worried spacer the last o2 sensor. (like i said before you do not want to space the first one)

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
So I'm dealing with this right now.

If I put back on the stock cat and set my APR Stage2+ tune back to stock mode, do you think I will pass? Considering stock mode it shouldn't read anything wrong if the original cat is back on right? Would there be anything wrong w/K04 while in stock mode using the stock cat pipe? I'm wondering how long I can go like this considering winter is coming and I don't push the car hard anyway. If I can last K04 with stock dp until Spring, I can probably sell/trade my catless dp for a catted one and try using a spacer in the future.