GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Some questions on short-shifter install before I start

somerset91

Ready to race!
Picked up a used Neuspeed short shifter and cable end bushings I'm planning on installing soon. I have a couple questions before I get started--

1. What purpose does the locking pin on the shifter (the mechanism in the center boot) serve? I see some kits include a 5mm pin to fit in there but most install vids don't show any steps regarding that lock. Do I need to do anything with it, or just keep the thing in neutral during the entirety of the install?
  2. Planning on using white lithium grease for where the side to side bracket is. Should be fine right?
  3. Some vids mention that the stock shifter may be difficult to get off. Mine is a 2007 with 70k miles. One video suggested loosening the 13mm bolt, place the socket and extension on it, and tap with a hammer. Hopefully I won't have to resort to that, but if I can't get it off easily, any safe ideas I can try to get the stock part off? I was thinking of placing a much larger socket over the shifter and tap with a hammer, so that I can loosen the part without putting undue stress on the spindle, just on the shifter. Hopefully I don't need to use a hammer but I do want to get this done.

Any particular difficulties when you were doing yours that I should watch out for?

Thanks!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
1. The locking pin holds the shifter in neutral position making it easy to adjust the cables under the hood. Without locking it in place you'll end up adjusting it a lot more than necessary as the shifter moves whenever the cables are moved under the hood.

2. yes thats fine.

3. Do not use a hammer, those videos are wrong and you can damage your trans. take off the 13mm nut holding the shifter in place. Put it in neutral position, push down on the shifter then firmly pull up hard. Do this a few times and it will come off. I repeat, do not use a hammer.

somerset91

Ready to race!
1. The locking pin holds the shifter in neutral position making it easy to adjust the cables under the hood. Without locking it in place you'll end up adjusting it a lot more than necessary as the shifter moves whenever the cables are moved under the hood.

Gotcha. I'll find a suitable allen key and lock down the shifter before removing the cable linkages.

3. Do not use a hammer, those videos are wrong and you can damage your trans. take off the 13mm nut holding the shifter in place. Put it in neutral position, push down on the shifter then firmly pull up hard. Do this a few times and it will come off. I repeat, do not use a hammer.

I'm hoping it'll come off without the use of hammer. Seeing as only one video has suggested the use of the hammer I'll refrain from its use.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Gotcha. I'll find a suitable allen key and lock down the shifter before removing the cable linkages.

I'm hoping it'll come off without the use of hammer. Seeing as only one video has suggested the use of the hammer I'll refrain from its use.

It will come off. I've installed many of these and never had an issue with it being stuck.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Worst case, just use a puller tool to get it off