GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Serious Coilover Comparison Questions

lalalaprise

Ready to race!
You will be very very happy. Where im at i dont rub at all.

I would just like to add that I have had my ST's on for about 3 days now and I am definitely happy with the purchase. Very stock like ride with the drop I wanted (maybe too much.... some scrapage) and even with aggressive spacers on the rear no rubbing. I am at about 1 finger gap all around with the wheels almost dead flush with the fender, I would definitely purchase these again.

How low are you guys on the front and rears?

Schn3ll1

Passed Driver's Ed

Attachments

• gti1.jpg
    gti1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 282

etjoe

Passed Driver's Ed
I would just like to add that I have had my ST's on for about 3 days now and I am definitely happy with the purchase. Very stock like ride with the drop I wanted (maybe too much.... some scrapage) and even with aggressive spacers on the rear no rubbing. I am at about 1 finger gap all around with the wheels almost dead flush with the fender, I would definitely purchase these again.

What size spacers are you running. I'm thinking about getting kw v1's and wondering what spacers i should pair with it. Any input would be great;)

Schn3ll1

Passed Driver's Ed
What size spacers are you running. I'm thinking about getting kw v1's and wondering what spacers i should pair with it. Any input would be great;)

10mm front, 15mm back. Flush with no rubbing. :w00t:

jasunto

Ready to race!
my ST's are set as low as they go and 24" ftg all around -/+ 1/8 inch, i dont rub or scrape, i do have the fronts rolled and fender screw mod. I dont have any room to put my fingers to test the wheel gap.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
Ok I just finished reading this monster, RSMark this is an awesome thread I learned a lot. I still have some questions. I have been mulling over the idea of going to coil overs lately. I like my drop (H&R Sports with Koni FSDs), it's been pretty good for all conditions road conditions weather etc. But I have wanted to go a little lower at times (H&R Super Sport Low).

I have been looking at the following:
H&R Street Performance
KW V1
B&G RS2
Bilstein PSS10
SPAX RSX

I have really seen nothing on the SPAX coils. Are they any good? They look like they are stainless, have linear springs, and are adjustable while on the car but are available for $1,199 from Black Forest vs the Bilstein for $1500 ish.

I will mostly be daily driving them but I do drive a lot of fast paced back country road stuff. I don't see too much track time in my future so while the adjustments are nice they aren't a must. Stainless is a must as I may move to florida in the next few years after I retire and the salt air could play badly with non stainless.

I know this is a little all over the place but I figured this was the right place.

JP

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I know this is a little all over the place but I figured this was the right place.

JP

JP

I'm not sure anyone would ever hear about SPAX if I hadn't owned a set. There are srsly <10 people I've ever run into that have heard/used SPAX over the years. I know of 1 MK6 with them, (my old set) and they are AWESOME coils. They are PSS10's on a budget. If you're looking to make a back road burner with some occasional track use, but mostly DD these are the coils for you. I put over 10,000 enjoyable miles on mine. 15 second adjustments to dampening is awesome.

From your list there are 3 that should be in the same category, and 3 that aren't. PSS10s, B&G'S and SPAX are pretty hardcore, track/performance minded coilovers with linear springs monotubes dampening adjustment etc. Its really down to what name do you trust most, and what does your budget call for.

H&R's and KW V1/2's are basic entry level coils. Progressive springs, basic dampening, just a solid warranty and name stamped on it. Probably pretty comfortable on the street, but the performance i'm sure is lacking.

All in what your looking to do JP :thumbup:

untangle

Ready to race!
Also, talk to Black Forrest directly. IMO they know their stuff and no BS.

Bob

Last edited:

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
All in what your looking to do JP :thumbup:

Honestly I really don't know. Quality, performance, daily drivability. Mostly I drive back roads to and from work. I drive them aggressively I may in the future do some track events maybe not. I don't NEED adjustability but it would be nice.

Also, talk to Black Forrest directly. IMO they know they stuff and no BS.

Bob

Yeah that's why I asked about the SPAX they sell them and the B&Gs I will probibly have what ever I get installed by them since they are closeish and I trust them.

The height adjustment is a concern for me. How easy is it to properly dial in coilovers?

JP

JhnR

Banned
coilovers are easy to adjust. if you can take a wheel off the car you can adjust your coilovers with no problems.

untangle

Ready to race!
How easy is it to properly dial in coilovers?

Depends on your goals, the complexity of the shock you buy, and how exacting you are with the end result. Only you know the first and third.

WRT complexity of shock: I am on record as suggesting coils with fixed damping rates. Good coils will get you a package with appropriate spring rates (vital) and damping to handle them. All that's left is ride height ("attitude adjustment").

WRT ride height, 25.0-25.2" fender cutout-to-ground will get you a nice "performance street" setup. In this adjustment, 0.25" (at either end) has large handling impact, and 0.5" is massive.

You may get it right the first try (it happens), but you will likely need 1-2 adjustments over the first couple of weeks. For one thing, you'll get a little settling, esp in front.

But BFI or forum members can easily talk you through that....

Good luck - I think you'll love the result.

Bob

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
has anyone had the B&G RS2 Would like to know how they are. I plan on tracking and back road burning a good amount.