GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subaru BRZ Coupe Review by C&D (brother to the Scion FR-S)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Why a cayman, and not a 911? Just curious.

mid engine, lighter.

$$$$ <--- and then it no longer becomes the light, cheap, fun, RWD sports care for the common man.

They could do it for not that much more money, but they won't. The base STI is $8,500 more than a base WRX.

agree on the first point. However, the base STI is no longer the bargain it used to be, especially compared to the 09+ WRX 265hp now. If they made a WRX or STI version of the BRZ and it sold for $30K-$34,999, with the things I've mentioned, it would sell like hotcakes and destroy other cars in its segment no problem. The weight still remains low, so by upping power and increasing braking, the overall performance will continue to improve.

Considering the premium BRZ is already going to be something like $27-$29K, and EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER is still asking for a turbo, there will be a market for it at the price above and they will sell it there no problem. A premium/loaded WRX already goes for the same range of $27-$29K, btw.

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
They could do it for not that much more money, but they won't. The base STI is $8,500 more than a base WRX.

I don't think this comparo applies. The STI and WRX are directed at two very distinct audiences, one performance oriented, the other a niceish grocery getter. The BRZ is almost exclusively directed at a performance crowd. They could easily upsell many people looking at this car by offering the turboed version for only a couple grand more. Any price differential like the STI/WRX just wouldn't work for this car.

dtraill27

Go Kart Champion
I don't think this comparo applies. The STI and WRX are directed at two very distinct audiences, one performance oriented, the other a niceish grocery getter. The BRZ is almost exclusively directed at a performance crowd. They could easily upsell many people looking at this car by offering the turboed version for only a couple grand more. Any price differential like the STI/WRX just wouldn't work for this car.

WRX is a grocery getter? I'll take a grocery getter that hits 60 in under 5 secs stock with 265 hp 244 tq. Did you mean WRX/STI vs the regular impreza?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
WRX is a grocery getter? I'll take a grocery getter that hits 60 in under 5 secs stock with 265 hp 244 tq. Did you mean WRX/STI vs the regular impreza?

true.. it some tests it was faster 0-60 than the STI, due to the 5spd vs 6spd gearing.

dtraill27

Go Kart Champion
true.. it some tests it was faster 0-60 than the STI, due to the 5spd vs 6spd gearing.

For me all I need is the WRX. I don't track so I don't need the bigger brakes, suspension or stronger transmission for mods of the STI. That being said I think if they made a 6th gear on the WRX it'd get better mpgs. The new motor is supposed to get better mpgs and as long as they keep the power and looks good I'll be picking one up at my next car. When I'm ready to buy I should be in a new job and if I can afford it I'll get the STI though if money is no issue.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
For me all I need is the WRX. I don't track so I don't need the bigger brakes, suspension or stronger transmission for mods of the STI. That being said I think if they made a 6th gear on the WRX it'd get better mpgs. The new motor is supposed to get better mpgs and as long as they keep the power and looks good I'll be picking one up at my next car. When I'm ready to buy I should be in a new job and if I can afford it I'll get the STI though if money is no issue.

^ well said, sir.

07Noside

Banned

6th gear or not it won't help, horizontally opposed 4 cylinder is not good on gas!

If a turbo variation of the Brz FRS motor is realeased it will dominate everything in its path.
Still without it, I see here everyone complaining about the low hp. No one reads the engine specifications that this is a Direct injected, 4 cylinder with aux port injection with factory ecu. This will take every limitation and hardship that the GTI has with fueling and get rid of it all with factory ECU control. It just can't be beat and it will be fairly easy to turbo charge this motor tuners are going to have a field day once they break down and understand the new code.

I'm considering a lightly used one as a daily next year perhaps with the STI being drowned in expenses.

I mean just look at it!

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
As a tangent, the same fueling method will be employed by VAG also in their next gen on TSI motor....the added benefit too is the reduced particulate emission at partial load condition....an issue with pure DI setup, and an issue gasoline DI shares with their diesel counterpart...

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion

The Impreza (WRX and STI versions too) started ugly. Over the years they have only gotten uglier. Yeah it looks aggressive, but more in the body-kit-on-a-civic way.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
The Impreza (WRX and STI versions too) started ugly. Over the years they have only gotten uglier. Yeah it looks aggressive, but more in the body-kit-on-a-civic way.

I agree on the WRX looks. I've only ever been interested in them due to technical reasons, which is why I've never bought one.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Recent word on the street is..

Subaru being sold at 5K MARKUP non negotiable. :laugh: Whoever buys it at that price is a complete nutjob.

MKVI-DRVR

Ready to race!
Recent word on the street is..

Subaru being sold at 5K MARKUP non negotiable. :laugh: Whoever buys it at that price is a complete nutjob.

Eff that business. I knew it would have some markup but at that price, close to $32-34k with the Premier or Limited editions, puts this car in a whole other range of cars price wise. You could get into so many other cars at that price point so what would be the point in buying the BRZ or FR-S? I know that it will still probably sell but I agree in anyone who pays that price is outrageous.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
That's california.... near me, we have several dealers selling it at MSRP, just like the Golf R has been by VW. California has a lot of nutjobs and lot of crazy shit - hell, you guys voted The Terminator into office, for god sakes.

bshappy

Ready to race!
That's california.... near me, we have several dealers selling it at MSRP, just like the Golf R has been by VW. California has a lot of nutjobs and lot of crazy shit - hell, you guys voted The Terminator into office, for god sakes.
Crazy for putting Arnold in office?

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion

The VW dealer by me was selling their Golf R for $32,xxx. I thought that was a good price???