What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Also, dsg shifter is in lol, nice grip.

Sent from my ANE-LX3 using Tapatalk

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
They are 18*8, et40, with 215/40/18 Hankook, ventus, v12

They are listed at 18.9 per rim, with tire on, I weighted them at 37lb approximately. Good or not bad? Let me know.

That's pretty light, especially at 18"x8"!! Good find!

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just had my two front fenders replaced under the rust warranty. The issue is very widespread at the top of the wheel arch, it’s largly due to the foam insulation behind trapping salt and debris, and more TDi prone apparently. I noticed the paint peeling back when my car was on a friends lift a few months ago. I then saw the rust creeping under the paint at a certain angle, I pulled a bit of the paint off, it would have been off once the snow started anyways. I filled out the form on the VW site and got my appointment. The lady took one look and said it’s automatically covered in this area due to a service bulletin and high volume of claims in this area. She did pics and documented it, but, said it’s a formality and called their body shop of choice and booked me a time that day and had the fenders ordered. It was a four week wait only due to the Christmas and New Years holidays. I only lost my car for 2 days. I don’t have a pic of the rust, but, maybe 2 inches wide and 1/2 an inch tall at the top of each arch. Only surface rust as well, no perforation whatsoever.
Nice to hear from you, thought you dropped of the face of the earth.

The Don Valley VW Body Shop took pictures.... I'm waiting on them to call me to come in, fingers crossed I'm still covered.

Thanks, can't wait to out these on, tho, I need some hub rings and conical bolts....
Make sure you get the metal rings, the plastic ones will crack in the cold weather.

They are 18*8, et40, with 215/40/18 Hankook, ventus, v12
They are listed at 18.9 per rim, with tire on, I weighted them at 37lb approximately. Good or not bad? Let me know.
You got a Great deal and the light setup is a big bonus.

Last edited:

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the heads-up. Still got a lot time to look for them unfortunately.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Don't have to worry about plastic ones cracking in winter if winter doesn't exist in your state ;)

In other news, I bought a used Unibrace XB off a GTI guy in California, and USPS has since lost it. Was supposed to be delivered back on the 31st, and they haven't updated me or my tracking number. Submitted a lost mail search request as well as emailed them. Tried calling but I was still talking to a robot after the 30 minute mark and gave up. Gonna try calling again this weekend.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Hey Mark....crazy busy with work these days. Good luck with your fender claim.

Found out my two rear calipers are close to shot. Anyone had luck with remanufactured/re-conditioned brakes??

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Mark....crazy busy with work these days. Good luck with your fender claim.

Found out my two rear calipers are close to shot. Anyone had luck with remanufactured/re-conditioned brakes??
How do you know they are shot? You don't do alot milage.

Coincidently, one of my neighbour thought the same, coz his mechanic friend told him his both his rear brake calipers were going after changing the pads coz they were wearing down faster than others and was over-heating his rear brake. I told him VW bias the initial brake bias to the rear causes the rear pads to wear faster. As well, if you replace VW rear brakes with aftermarket pads and if the parking brake wasn't adjusted properly after replacement they will drag.

Long story shorter, we jacked up the rear and sure enough there was some unnessage drag from the parking brakes, see this video for parking brake info.

I used a remanufactured rear caliper on my wifes '15 Accord, yup left parking brake lever wouldn't release. It works fine but seem to rust faster than the originals.

You can also buy the brake kits with the seals, retainer and boot for like $10 and rebuild the calipers yourself. I've done it a few times, you just need motivation some scotch bright pads to clean any rust from the bores, lots of brake fluid to lubricate getting the piston past the seals. Easy to bleed the brakes after, if you have a helper or a Motive Power Bleeder.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just finished servicing the brakes and installing the old winter tires. Boy, I can't believe how rusty the wheels are now. Kinda embarassing, I may have to paint them or something.:mad:

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
How do you know they are shot? You don't do alot milage.

Coincidently, one of my neighbour thought the same, coz his mechanic friend told him his both his rear brake calipers were going after changing the pads coz they were wearing down faster than others and was over-heating his rear brake. I told him VW bias the initial brake bias to the rear causes the rear pads to wear faster. As well, if you replace VW rear brakes with aftermarket pads and if the parking brake wasn't adjusted properly after replacement they will drag.

Long story shorter, we jacked up the rear and sure enough there was some unnessage drag from the parking brakes, see this video for parking brake info.

I used a remanufactured rear caliper on my wifes '15 Accord, yup left parking brake lever wouldn't release. It works fine but seem to rust faster than the originals.

You can also buy the brake kits with the seals, retainer and boot for like $10 and rebuild the calipers yourself. I've done it a few times, you just need motivation some scotch bright pads to clean any rust from the bores, lots of brake fluid to lubricate getting the piston past the seals. Easy to bleed the brakes after, if you have a helper or a Motive Power Bleeder.

My E-brake has been getting worse over the last year. We went over the E-brake - it functions properly as it should. We replaced the spring and that worked for a bit. The calipers don't rebound properly, leaving the E-brake slack more than not. I'm not that mechanically inclined lol. I'm sitting at 147,000km. I'm on my third set of brakes. 100% notice my rear's wearing at a faster rate than the fronts. I'm not opposed to replacing the rear calipers, as this car is still a blast to drive and feels like it has another 150k in it. I'm lucky my driveway is flat and where I park at work is flat. I've been flat parking for the last few months to avoid any undue stress on the trans brake.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Turned over 90K miles today. I have put over 25k drive it like you stole it miles on this car since I bought it in Oct 2017 with no real problems to speak of. Very proud of the little 2.5L.

And it still puts a smile on my face to drop into 3rd at 65 mph and take off.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Met a Rabbit 2.5 guy at the VW Parts counter the other day, his job takes him all over Ontario and Quebec, he has over 400K km on his Rabbit. He says apart from regular Oil, spark plugs/ coil packs, manual transmission fluid and brake service the only things the Dealer has replaced are Radiator and thermostat, Valve Cover, Vacuum pump, crank sensor, wheel bears, both CV axles and a front bumper. He says the other guy he works with saves money on diesel with his TDI but gives it back everytime something goes wrong with the diesel components; he does spend a bit more on gas but his rabbit has had less maintenance days off.

Very telling, kudos to the lil 2.5.:thumbsup:

PS. Wow I, just realized his clutch is still good, must be alot of high way driving. Prolly doesn't drive like WW:p

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
PS. Wow I .just realized his clutch is still good, must be alot of high way driving

Not really. It's mainly local driving except for the 30 mile commute to work which here in Orange County is an hour in stop and go traffic. I live on Pacific Coast Highway which is not actually a highway where I live so a lot of beach cruising. Got to 130k on the original clutch on the TDI.

I updated my profile today too.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Not really. It's mainly local driving except for the 30 mile commute to work which here in Orange County is an hour in stop and go traffic. I live on Pacific Coast Highway which is not actually a highway where I live so a lot of beach cruising. Got to 130k on the original clutch on the TDI.

I updated my profile today too.
We'd take that drive any day, it takes my wife one hour and 15 minutes to go 45 km (28 miles) in Toronto rush hour to get home from downtown, combination of regular roads and highway.

EDIT: Why did you Disabled DRL's is safer to drive with it, no?

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just one more bulb to replace and I never saw the point at my latitude.
In my area DRL is the law and insurance stats show when headlights on during the day that accidents down.

EDIT: We have some draconian laws where I live but they are getting rid of the eTesting so in a few months, buy a TDI and rip all the diesel particulae filters and sh!t off and reprogram EDC to work without them.

Last edited: