GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FS: 2010 Gti w/ mods

gichoke

Passed Driver's Ed
Loving the stats on the car, seems well sorted! Have you replaced key items like water pump, or timing chain tensioner?

GLWS

hungti75

Passed Driver's Ed
The only thing that's been replaced is the intake manifold by the previous owner.
Still on factory water pump and tensioner and still well within limits of chain stretch as per last VCDS results.
This car is adult owned and driven, never abused or raced, and the fact that the oil is changed every 3000 miles since I've owned it has prolonged the parts that may normally fail.
Like everyone else I was quite worried about the timing chain tensioner until I was lucky enough to talk to Ron@VwSpecialties about the tensioner/chains, and he told me that I was part of about 10% of owners who, because of our regular and religious maintenance and driving habits, don't have to worry about tensioner failure because fresh new oil is constantly being introduced, therefore lubricating all important parts and keeping things in great condition.
5000 and 10000 mile oil changes as well as "drive it like you stole it"-style driving habits greatly add to premature wear and will definitely cause tensioners to fail more often and chains to be stretched more frequently.
My car idles and runs as quietly as factory, the exhaust and ticking injectors being the only things that are audible.
In no way, shape or form is this an excuse I'm using, but there's gotta be something to it, and my car is a great example of what babying can do.
I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk, I'm not trying to do that, I merely wanted to explain my particular point of view and experience.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
so much want... but the such cant to haz...

zrickety

The Fixer
You 2 door manual guys are really making me miss my old car. Real beauty here, GLWS.