GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Head Unit Upgrade

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Just got a text from DHL and I'll have the new head unit on Monday. 5 days shipping/handling from China is pretty good. I have to say I so far like this seller. They emailed and confirmed all the specs, firmware version and Bluetooth version was what I wanted. Very unusual for a Ebay vendor especially one in China.

I decided to go with the Huawei update.:lol:

Link to who you bought it from? Thank you

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
WW another produce, your chance to do one of your super cool write ups on the Head Unit.

Personally for me having Waze to tell me where the police and the red light cameras are more of a priority, the blue tooth on the Eonon is only barely acceptable.

That's why I wanted android auto. Tired of looking at the tiny screen. I'll post up a write-up and where I got it from when I get it and install it on Monday, just in case my initial impressions turn out to be false.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
I'm very interested in how this turns out. I wouldn't mind upgrading to something that has more function.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well got it today and it took me all of five minutes to install.

Truly plug and play. Disregard the extension as that is an adapter for the factory Bluetooth module.

No code to enter. Works like a charm. Haven't had a chance to play with it too much but will post some pics but app like Waze and Amazon Music and what not work well. The shipping was a little sketchy as it was not packed with a lot of protection. One drop probably would have done it in.

This is the one bought.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283374390871

I went with the "G" model which is more expensive but is guaranteed to be plug and play, updateable and comes with Android Auto on the unit already.

I think the most important thing is to get the No Name model NOT DESAY if you want android auto and the ability to update the firmware.. The no name brand is the factory OEM stereo. The Desay is CarPlay only. If the price is cheap (pretty much anything under $200 is suspect) for the 187B model it is Desay.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Very nice!

Can you add SIM for Internet access? Or does it auto connect to your WiFi Hotspot on your phone?

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Very nice!

Can you add SIM for Internet access? Or does it auto connect to your WiFi Hotspot on your phone?

No. Android auto only connects through USB. There is BT Audio if you want to connect wirelessly but this would not allow you to access Apps on the head unit. The RCD330 does not run an Android OS like some of the other head units which in essence makes them like a tablet that can connect to wifi and run apps directly and what not. The head unit simply connects to the phone via USB and runs all the apps you would normally be accessing on your phone via CarPlay or Android Auto.

For clarification in case I gave the impression the radio is something that it is not. The RCD330 is not an Android Head Unit running Android OS. Android Auto is totally different. The RCD330 is eccesntially the RNS510 but intead of a CD player you have Carplay or Android Auto. It is a factory VW radio which is why it is plug and play. The 330 was never available in North America which is why you need to source them from overseas. When you here the term "No Name" that does not mean it is a cheap Chinese copy but that it is just not branded. They are being sourced from VW vehicles overseas. I know nothing about the Desay brand other than don't get one.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm glad you like it! Great write-up.
Apparently, the Pixel 3 is the only Android phone that can run AA wireless. Though I have yet to try it with mine because my GTI is down for the moment. Waiting on an alternator to come in so I can get to work.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm glad you like it! Great write-up.
Apparently, the Pixel 3 is the only Android phone that can run AA wireless. Though I have yet to try it with mine because my GTI is down for the moment. Waiting on an alternator to come in so I can get to work.

Ya thanks for the suggestion. This is exactly what I was looking for.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
No. Android auto only connects through USB. There is BT Audio if you want to connect wirelessly but this would not allow you to access Apps on the head unit. The RCD330 does not run an Android OS like some of the other head units which in essence makes them like a tablet that can connect to wifi and run apps directly and what not. The head unit simply connects to the phone via USB and runs all the apps you would normally be accessing on your phone via CarPlay or Android Auto.

For clarification in case I gave the impression the radio is something that it is not. The RCD330 is not an Android Head Unit running Android OS. Android Auto is totally different. The RCD330 is eccesntially the RNS510 but intead of a CD player you have Carplay or Android Auto. It is a factory VW radio which is why it is plug and play. The 330 was never available in North America which is why you need to source them from overseas. When you here the term "No Name" that does not mean it is a cheap Chinese copy but that it is just not branded. They are being sourced from VW vehicles overseas. I know nothing about the Desay brand other than don't get one.
I may get one for the Tiguan.

Cenk985

Hey guys. I just purchased and installed the rcd 330+ in my golf r mk6 it booted up as normal and connected seamlessly however the most important thing was missing.... I had 0 sound. Harness and pins aligned correctly and full contact was checked and re checked on each pin.
many help would be greatly appreciated.
here is the purchase I made after the seller reassured me it was the right model to purchase

Attachments

• DB06DDBC-D543-4C7D-BECD-8903AF7B3C92.png
    DB06DDBC-D543-4C7D-BECD-8903AF7B3C92.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 233