GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA SHS or Bilstein B14 PSS

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So I’ve done extensive researching into both and I’m still on the fence on which one to get. I was convinced that I was going to get the HPAs but not I’m torn. The HPA are a little more and are suppose to be more “daily” friendly since they are twin-tube vs Bilstein’s monoshock design. I’ve read HPA having failures of their shocks or springs earlier on and have a shorter warranty compared to Bilstein. Just haven’t read anything bad about the Bilstein’s besides a little stiffer ride quality, but all that can be subjective.

Any advice would be appreciated. I like these two options for the price point as I’m unable to get the higher end options due to budget restrictions. Just looking into more of an introductory Coil-Over kit that has a mild drop to be daily friendly. Just not sure if the HPA would underperform compared to the Bilstein PSS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
For spirited back road driving the HPAs were plenty. The max drop is 33.5 CM measured from wheel center to fender. KW V1s go a full CM lower, even though they're similar setups. So make sure they go low enough for what you're looking for. If they do, I'd recommend them 100%.

Haven't had any experience with the Bilsteins.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
For spirited back road driving the HPAs were plenty. The max drop is 33.5 CM measured from wheel center to fender. KW V1s go a full CM lower, even though they're similar setups. So make sure they go low enough for what you're looking for. If they do, I'd recommend them 100%.

Haven't had any experience with the Bilsteins.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I’m currently at 25” FTG on the front and about 25 1/8”-25 1/4” at the rears. Wouldn’t mind a 1/4” higher in the fronts. Are the V1s slightly stiffer than the HPA?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I've never ridden V1s. Got that info as part of my search to have a more comfortable ride at 24 24.5" ftg. Neither of these setups goes that low.

I think the HPAs were right around 24.5" ftg, but the wheel center to fender measurement was dead-on. I was at exactly 335mm at max lowering.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I've never ridden V1s. Got that info as part of my search to have a more comfortable ride at 24 24.5" ftg. Neither of these setups goes that low.

I think the HPAs were right around 24.5" ftg, but the wheel center to fender measurement was dead-on. I was at exactly 335mm at max lowering.

That’s good to hear. I’m not looking for anything under 25”. Did you ever get any bounciness?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Never. I had zero issues with performance or ride quality.

I originally went with DG springs, which were one of the most recommended for people not looking for low. Rode like a dream, even on stock shocks/struts. But the ftg was 25" or so, I think 25 1/4" in the back.

Comfort level was close to stock, slight performance increase- less leaning in cornering, pitching in accel/braking, etc. Not a noticeable decrease in ride comfort over bumps or uneven pavement.

Next step was HPAs. There was a slight reduction in comfort. Less than from stock to DG springs. Like 8/10 vs stock. Much more noticeable increase in performance. Tight cornering, less pitch, etc.

Current stop is H&R ultra lows. Noticeable decrease in comfort compared to HPAs. 6/10. No performance difference, still decent cornering characteristics. They are currently set a 1/2" lower than HPAs.

After a year on ultra lows, I'm strongly considering going back to something more comfortable, which is why I considered the KW V1s. 325 mm wheel center to fender is still a touch too high for me, so I haven't pulled the trigger.

Performance wise, the most enjoyable experience was HPAs with a WALK, front subframe bushing kit, 26mm front/22mm rear sway. Like a go cart. But that gave a lot up in ride comfort.

I installed them together, so can't give specifics, but the WALK and front sway were a bigger drop in comfort over uneven pavement/bumps than the HPAs ever were.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Are the V1s slightly stiffer than the HPA?

YES

I'd recommend the HPA's, without a doubt

Just grab them on sale though. The cheapest I ever bought them was when they were $999 SHIPPED, IIRC...~ 4 years ago. But I haven't seen them that low again lately unfortunately.

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
YES

I'd recommend the HPA's, without a doubt

Just grab them on sale though. The cheapest I ever bought them was when they were $999 SHIPPED, IIRC...~ 4 years ago. But I haven't seen them that low again lately unfortunately.

Awesome. Thanks for the additional feedback. I was feeling hesitant but now I’m more reassured that they are the proper c.o. to get. As low as they get is their 10% off right now. Luckily Urotuning offers free shipping on them and I don’t think any taxes lol. ECS Tuning you end up paying the discount you get in shipping plus another 80 in state sales tax lol.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If you’re concerned with long term serviceability Bilstein is the best. Bilstein will rebuild their products for a pretty reasonable price.

I’ve read amazing things about HPA SHS performance and ride quality, but I’ve read really bad things about KW service. Bilstein offers complete parts catalogues meaning that virtually anybody can rebuild their own shocks if they wanted to. As far as I can tell KW more or less treats their assembled products as disposable.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
If you’re concerned with long term serviceability Bilstein is the best. Bilstein will rebuild their products for a pretty reasonable price.

I’ve read amazing things about HPA SHS performance and ride quality, but I’ve read really bad things about KW service. Bilstein offers complete parts catalogues meaning that virtually anybody can rebuild their own shocks if they wanted to. As far as I can tell KW more or less treats their assembled products as disposable.

Thanks for that feedback. That is what made it a tough decision for me. I ended up going with the HPA because of their rave reviews. Just hope I find them to be as great as everyone suggests about them. I won’t be slamming these so in theory it should help with the longevity of the parts. First coil-over setup here we come lol!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Thanks for that feedback. That is what made it a tough decision for me. I ended up going with the HPA because of their rave reviews. Just hope I find them to be as great as everyone suggests about them. I won’t be slamming these so in theory it should help with the longevity of the parts. First coil-over setup here we come lol!

Awesome, I hope they’re every bit as good as I’ve read they are. :thumbup:

MickDick

Any feedback on your choice, a few months on? Did you get the SHS installed?

I’m pondering the SHS vs XTA.

Thanks.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Any feedback on your choice, a few months on? Did you get the SHS installed?

I’m pondering the SHS vs XTA.

Thanks.

So I ended up buying them, but they’ve been sitting in my basement since then unfortunately. I have a wedding this year and have been busy with putting funds for that. I wish I could help ya out. I’m excited to have them in though.