GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

[Help] Replaced spark plugs and coils. White smoke came from exhaust

Sgonzalez90

I had the coil 1 misfire fault code, and I replaced the spark plugs and coils accordingly. Drove the car around for a couple miles. Went to pickup oil to top it off. Drove half a block and oil started blowing out the exhaust. White smoke. Had to have the car towed. Got the wrench symbol, but only an unknown fault code! I'm being told that it maybe due to the PCV valve. The car is a 2013 GTI, at about 152k miles. I know the PCV valves are a common failure component and it has never been replaced. Could this be the issue? Should I DIY?

Just want my car back on the road!
Help :/

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
White smoke is water burning not oil. Else it would've been blue smoke. Hard to imagine all that happening from just changing oil, plugs and coils.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sgonzalez90

White smoke is water burning not oil. Else it would've been blue smoke. Hard to imagine all that happening from just changing oil, plugs and coils.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Also I checked my coolant levels and they were fine. Did not smell sweet. More so a burnt, harsh smell.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
This happened to me a few months ago. I had a single misfire code with tons of white smoke out of the exhaust with strong fuel odor and very rough running engine. Tried swapping plug and coil first. Didnt work, looked inside and saw cylinder and spark plug were wet with fuel. Injector had failed and stuck open. Had to remove intake manifold and put in a new injector. Check to see what your plug tip looks like and if you can see any fuel on it or inside the cylinder.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I think the white/blue/black smoke thing is kind of subjective and maybe depends on what the lighting is like when you see the smoke. My issue was def a thick white smoke which turned out to be fuel dumping into the cylinder.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Are you dsg? When I had the wrench symbol pop up it was because of my dsg transmission. You aren’t leaking any oil from the rear main seal or anything right? Hopefully it’s not that but that’s just from my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgonzalez90

Are you dsg? When I had the wrench symbol pop up it was because of my dsg transmission. You aren’t leaking any oil from the rear main seal or anything right? Hopefully it’s not that but that’s just from my experience

Yes DSG. How do I verify if there is a leak here? I haven't found any leaks tbh.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes DSG. How do I verify if there is a leak here? I haven't found any leaks tbh.

Mine was leaking from the rear main seal that’s how I saw mine, very small leak that drained the dsg fluid through time. But I don’t think that would be the cause of the smoke issue. Hopefully it’s like other guys said about the injector being open

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Mine was leaking from the rear main seal that’s how I saw mine, very small leak that drained the dsg fluid through time. But I don’t think that would be the cause of the smoke issue. Hopefully it’s like other guys said about the injector being open

Wait, a rear main seal keeps motor oil in the engine. The DSG fluid is encased in the transmission housing and the clutch packs are a sealed unit, there's no oil between them.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
Wait, a rear main seal keeps motor oil in the engine. The DSG fluid is encased in the transmission housing and the clutch packs are a sealed unit, there's no oil between them.

Gotcha, that’s just what I was told. I probably didn’t remember the exact words correctly my mistake

NoNameBoy

Passed Driver's Ed
This happened to me a few months ago. I had a single misfire code with tons of white smoke out of the exhaust with strong fuel odor and very rough running engine. Tried swapping plug and coil first. Didnt work, looked inside and saw cylinder and spark plug were wet with fuel. Injector had failed and stuck open. Had to remove intake manifold and put in a new injector. Check to see what your plug tip looks like and if you can see any fuel on it or inside the cylinder.

That also happened to my GTI with same exact problem almost 2 years ago. Dealer replaced everything and a few weeks later check engine light came up again due to a bad cat. Dealer replaced too under the warranty