GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG U0103 Code No Gears - Anyone have this?

JonVW

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I got a 2012 GTI with a DSG transmission and recently I shifted into manual mode in my car at a red light and as soon as the light went green I took my foot off the brake and I saw the flashing wrench of death while my car had no gears, I revved as if I was in neutral. I quickly put my cautions on and manuvered to the right side of the road but when I put the car back in automatic my gears were back and the car went happily on its way. I took the car to the shop and I had already gotten code U0103 showing on my COBB. The shop could not replicate what happened to me whatsover but said that there's a 90% chance it's the gear selector and quoted $1000 for parts and $1000 for labor, so a nice $2000 hit. Anyone get this code before or do this repair themselves?

I can't find anything on the internet with people doing this themselves but if I can't do it myself I might just sell the car as is and try to get something newer...

Thanks in advance!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I got this code once but erased it and never happened again. Seems it happened to a few others online. I also did not some research on how to repair it. It doesn't seem that bad tbh. There's a little info on it in ELSAWin. Fuck paying $2000 for it. Id prob just buy a used unit and throw it in myself.

JonVW

Passed Driver's Ed
I got this code once but erased it and never happened again. Seems it happened to a few others online. I also did not some research on how to repair it. It doesn't seem that bad tbh. There's a little info on it in ELSAWin. Fuck paying $2000 for it. Id prob just buy a used unit and throw it in myself.

Hmm I agree I’d do the same just apparently it’s a lot of labor and I’d rather not drop the transmission and all, can’t find anyone that has actually replaced it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I don't think you need to do anything with the transmision. IIRC you remove the center console and unbolt gear selector and also IIRC theres bolts on the bottom of the car and it just pulls out. It's been a while since I checked.