GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0299 Driveable for a decent distance?

CanadianPenguin

Hey all,

So I went on a road trip and my check engine light came on, so went to a Canadian tire to buy a code reader the code I got was P0299 (code relating to low turbo output).

My mechanic I go to recommended I replace my oil separator/pcv valve when I get the chance. I'm assuming the code is relating to this?

Is it safe to drive like 500ish KMs with this issue? I'm not crazy far from home or anything but it's the weekend and no other mechanic shops are really open where I am :(

The car doesn't really feel any different while driving so I guess that's a good thing

Car is a 2013 GTI Wolfsburg with around 94,000kms.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I think you will be fine. I wouldn't be getting on it too much though. I have driven with p0299 for weeks before finally replacing my turbo.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
If it is actually the oil separator/pcv causing the code, then you will Not be fine. When they fail, it blows your rear main seal and starts to leak oil and the car will not idle.

Tsi_God

Go Kart Newbie
Yes and no. Failed pcv will not blow rear main every time. Every pcv fails differently and show different signs. With that said it would be best that you fix the issue asap before a new and more serious problem shows.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
P0299 can be attributed to a bunch of issues, boost leaks, bad turbo, leaking DV and I used to even get this when I had OTS eurodyne stage 1. Tune issue.

CanadianPenguin

Update

Got back home, accelerated like a grandma so the boost didn't kick in. Thankfully no other issues arose

I'm gonna try to get my car in the shop tomorrow ��