GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rough idle and stalling issue

Lauri

video:
https://streamable.com/xhavg

it's a gti 2010

This happens randomly, like once every two weeks or so, sometimes while i'm driving and I lose power, but after letting it rest (turned off) for an hour or so I can turn it back on and it's normal like nothing happened.

When it's idling roughly and stalling trying to maintain idle, there's a lot of gasoline smell.

I already changed all 4 spark plugs.

any idea what this could be?

thanks.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
How many miles?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Did you scan it for codes? That's the first thing I'd do.

Symptoms are similar to fuel pump control module, or maybe the pump itself, or both. Fuel smell though..........injectors? Get it scanned.

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
try cleaning the MAF with MAF Cleaner, its like 12 bucks. Make sure air filter clean too. Surprised its not throwing a code yet.

Last time did sparkplugs and verified the pregap ?

I own a 2011 gti and 2001, my 2001 gti was erratic iirc and it also turned on ABS light and i couldnt re-enabled traction control or something wacky. Not sure if a bad MAF on our car disables traction control too.

I also have a 2006 cobalt that did exactly this, it was a plastic airbox after the MAF before Throttle body, the airbox was broken, it wasnt able to measure the airflow and would eventually stall out or scare me enough to turn it off.