GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro Switch/Headlights Help

Marcopolo2438

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I am new to this site and car in general so I apologize if some of this comes off as a stupid question.

I recently installed the euro headlight switch with the auto feature as well as the extra wire for the parking lights. I'm pretty sure that it works exactly as advertised (great deal actually, got the switch and the light sensor for 32 bucks on ebay, wire was $10 extra).

I guess my confusion is what exactly the DRLs are on this car. At first I was under the assumption that it was the parking lights and tail lights, but after reading around it seems like it's the xenons as well. I have a 2010 US MK6 with the AFS bi-xenon HIDS.

Here's what would happen with the old switch and what happens with the new one:

With the original switch, I was only given the on and off positions. With the switch in the off position when starting the car, the DRL light on the dash would illuminate, the xenon headlights would be on, but the parking lights and tail lights would not be on. When switched to the on position, the xenons would not change (always on), but the parking lights and tail lights would turn on getting rid of the DRL dash light. Fogs worked fine.

Now, with the auto headlight switch, the only way to turn the xenons off is to use the parking lights position in which only the two small lights in the headlights and the tail lights illuminate. This is all great, but in the auto position, the xenons are always on still. The only lights that are affected by the sensor in auto are the parking lights. I would want the xenons to turn on and off with the sensor, not the parking lights. Even in the off position the xenons are on. I think the xenons are kind of overkill during broad daylight and the parking lights, possibly fogs would suffice for day driving.

Sorry for my long-winded post, but I guess what I'm asking is are the xenons considered part of the DRLs? I've read that you can turn them off in VCDS, but would that enable the xenons to switch on with the light sensor in auto mode? That's what I want to do. Also, if anyone has a vag-com cable in the western Chicago area, I would love to pay for a few modifications with beer :thumbup:. I want to get the windows to close with the lock button, the fog light cornering feature, the heated seats to turn back on with ignition automatically and the flashers on with ABS features (I've read that these all exist).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
believe you need to just turn the DRL's off to achieve what you're trying to do, could be wrong on that but it's worth a shot.

I'm in chicago and have vagcom. I go to a meet on thursdays in lombard which isn't too far from naperville. send me a pm if you want to meetup some thursday. Or if you want to come to chicago any night during the week is fine.

Marcopolo2438

Passed Driver's Ed
Great, thanks man I just might do that!