GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

100k Mile "tune-up"...?

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
My 2011 GTI is nearing 100k miles, and I am hoping to keep the car at least until 185k-200k (3-4 more years at my 25k/year rate)

I have done the DSG service every 40k miles, I replaced the plugs every 40k as well and will continue to do so.

My timing chain, tensioner and guides were all replace at 85K miles along with a torn DV, got the new OE version of all those parts installed.

My suspension is not feeling like it once was, so I am going to done a major refresh - Springs, shocks, mounts, bolts. Anything else I should replace while I am doing all that work? Obviously I will check things to make sure nothing is broken while I am in there, but is anything nearing the end of its life? Good time for the Whiteline Essentials kit?

I had the intake manifold replaced around 55k under warranty, but haven't done carbon cleaning yet, so I know I am due for that. Anything I should have them do while they are in there?

I have the R8 coilpacks in my trunk, waiting for a stock coilpack to fail, and they have yet to do so...

When does the VAG "lifetime" coolant need to be flushed and filled? My waterpump has **knock on wood** never failed.

I went to Stage I at 85K and am enjoying that. Just put brand new tires on, and loving the car again!

Weird Issues:

-Headunit randomly "crashes" and turns back on. Becoming more frequent at once per week roughly lately.

- Squeaking, like basketball shoe on court, from somewhere in front of me when going over bumps. Not a clunk, a squeak. Its drove me crazy since about 50k miles. Have yet to figure it out. Hoping that it is the strut mounts or bearings that I will be replacing soon... (weird side note, happens less, but still happens when sunroof shade is closed...)

- Stock exhaust tips turned "chalky" this winter and I cannot seem to get them clean...

- My factory brakes (bought the car at 21k, and I have never changed the brakes) are still around 50% life - lots of highway miles, but I've only changed the fluid once... big deal?

Thanks in advance.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Carbon buildup cleaning -- DIY

H/U crashing -- update the software. If that's done already, time to replace it

Squeaking noise -- check the stock top hat bushings

Chalky exhaust tips -- NEVR DULL (Walmart, auto parts stores, etc.)

Brakes -- replace the rotors, pads and brake fluid

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Carbon buildup cleaning -- DIY

H/U crashing -- update the software. If that's done already, time to replace it

Squeaking noise -- check the stock top hat bushings

Chalky exhaust tips -- NEVR DULL (Walmart, auto parts stores, etc.)

Brakes -- replace the rotors, pads and brake fluid

i cant figure out what top hat bushings are

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I guess they do kind of look like top hats.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
the front strut mounts.

thanks. could it be the control arm bushings that are creaking too? Mine creak like crazy but theyre poly

zVp

Go Kart Champion
thanks. could it be the control arm bushings that are creaking too? Mine creak like crazy but theyre poly

I get these squeeking noise too, but don't necessarily get it on bumps on the road. It is mostly when I let off the throttle... wonder if this could be it?

cgj_mk666

If you're planning on new struts and springs then you should definitely replace the front strut mounts and bearings. I just installed a new suspension and my old bearings were trashed. I went with the ECS heavy duty mounts and oem bearings.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
On the topic of suspension refreshes, my approach is to replace every wear item that has to come out with the strut. So the strut itself, spring insulators, top mounts, bearings, dust boots, and bump stops. We don't talk much about bump stops, but on our cars they're a critical piece in how it rides and handles so you would be wise to replace them if they have more than 100k miles on them.

Other suspension pieces to look at include the dust boots which I replace if they have visible damage and on this car the rear position lower control arm mount. The LCA mount bushing can be pricey if you buy a pair of pre-pressed brackets, but if you have a three jaw puller and a hacksaw there's a really great, cheap upgrade in the Audi TT-RS bushing that can be swapped into the mounts you have on your car. Febi part number 33973, and it can be found for less than $20 a bushing. Alternatively you can just find a shop that has a press and pay them a few bucks to swap them, either way it's cheaper than the S3 bushings.

If you want stiffer you can get a pair of Whiteline W53196 poly bushings for ~$70, which is significantly less than any other option involving pre-pressed housings. I got a pair of these for $50 that are waiting to go on my car, my thinking was that for that price if I hated them I wasn't out enough to care, but if there isn't a dramatic increase in NVH the benefits should be worth it.

My refresh is going to be with the following parts...

Koni Sport struts
ECS top mounts - front
Sachs top mounts - rear
FAG top bearings
Whiteline poly LCA bushings
VW "Genuine" spring insulators - rear

I haven't decided on the brand for replacement bump stops yet. I'd like Lemforder, but they don't make them in stock lengths, only shortened, and I'm sticking with the stock springs for now. Eventually I intend to go with a Ground Control sleeve kit with camber plates, but now isn't the time. Genuine VW stops are expensive, but they're exactly what I want..... but I may not get full use out of them as I intend to play with up to a half inch drop with the Ground Control kit, meaning I'd have to source a set of Euro bump stops (~.6 inch shorter than USDM stops).

I've thought about replacing the main rear trailing arm bushing with a fresh OEM grade piece, but I'm not sure I'm interested in digging that out yet.

Vikingsloth1

Ready to race!
My 2011 GTI is nearing 100k miles, and I am hoping to keep the car at least until 185k-200k (3-4 more years at my 25k/year rate)

I have done the DSG service every 40k miles, I replaced the plugs every 40k as well and will continue to do so.

My timing chain, tensioner and guides were all replace at 85K miles along with a torn DV, got the new OE version of all those parts installed.

My suspension is not feeling like it once was, so I am going to done a major refresh - Springs, shocks, mounts, bolts. Anything else I should replace while I am doing all that work? Obviously I will check things to make sure nothing is broken while I am in there, but is anything nearing the end of its life? Good time for the Whiteline Essentials kit?

I had the intake manifold replaced around 55k under warranty, but haven't done carbon cleaning yet, so I know I am due for that. Anything I should have them do while they are in there?

I have the R8 coilpacks in my trunk, waiting for a stock coilpack to fail, and they have yet to do so...

When does the VAG "lifetime" coolant need to be flushed and filled? My waterpump has **knock on wood** never failed.

I went to Stage I at 85K and am enjoying that. Just put brand new tires on, and loving the car again!

Weird Issues:

-Headunit randomly "crashes" and turns back on. Becoming more frequent at once per week roughly lately.

- Squeaking, like basketball shoe on court, from somewhere in front of me when going over bumps. Not a clunk, a squeak. Its drove me crazy since about 50k miles. Have yet to figure it out. Hoping that it is the strut mounts or bearings that I will be replacing soon... (weird side note, happens less, but still happens when sunroof shade is closed...)

- Stock exhaust tips turned "chalky" this winter and I cannot seem to get them clean...

- My factory brakes (bought the car at 21k, and I have never changed the brakes) are still around 50% life - lots of highway miles, but I've only changed the fluid once... big deal?

Thanks in advance.

The clunk is either your top mount or sway links. You can get heavy duty ones from Ecs that are pretty good. Sway links go to white line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk