Integrated Engineering IE Cold Air Intake Review - CCTA

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
My review
Product: Integrated Engineering IE Cold Air Intake Review - CCTA
Price: $349.99
Part number: IEINCC2

Reason:
I had to change my intake setup because the intake brand X that I was running had an integrated MAF housing and my short term fuel trims (STFT) and long term fuel trims (LTFT) were all over the place. I also wanted something with a better design filter.

Includes:
• One high-flow bellmouth
• One IE large Air filter
• One IE heat shield
• One stg 2 MAF-Turbo piping
• One silicone adapter from the bellmouth to MAF housing
• Installation hardware

Install:
The install is easy. Simple tools, and like most, I have been through several intakes. Make sure you take the time to get everything seated and lined up. The Heat Shield slides over the factory two OEM intake box mounts and the intake tube uses the OEM mount on the turbo heat shield. Unlike most CAI that use that one screw, this one is rock solid. My previous intake had enough movement that it was rubbing on the top of the brake master cylinder. It also just had a filter stuck on the end of a tube.

Driving:
I am an aerospace guy, so engineering and fluid dynamics is important. IE has taken the time to design a 5” Bellmouth velocity stack into the heat shield for the filter to slide onto. If you are interested in reading about it IE has a blog on their website about some of the engineering behind the use of a bellmouth. Also this intake utilizes a heat shield that seals with the underside of your hood. This has two benefits, one - cold air from the front bumper flows into it and two - it acts as an echo chamber for all your turbo whoooosh and cho cho cho noises! I mean this is way louder than my last intake, because my previous intake just had an open filter and a scoop that directed air onto the filter. The heat shield makes a little sound box for all the noises that reverberated out of your turbo! It is actually louder than that limited time I ran a DV spacer (yeah I know a DV spacer is like riding a moped).

I have reset my LTFT and have done some data logging to see how this intake fairs compared to my last one. It uses the stock MAF housing and that shows, because it is spot on. The STFT is < 1 % and LTFT is .06 %. These cars are just too picky to try running an intake that has a MAF housing integrated into the aluminum intake tube. On my old intake I had to buy a treadstone MAF straightener just to get my STFT and LTFT in a somewhat decent shape.

We all know CAIs don’t make big power numbers but that is not what is important. They play a huge role in your over all performance. We all pour our hard earned money into all of our mods and they need to have a well-designed intake or you are wasting your money. A shitty intake that puts turbulent air across your MAF and slows down your air flows, is screwing up your whole system.

This design and flow has really helped wake up my engine for sure. It is designed to get 100% of all your mods. Plus it sounds so cool :cool:

Onto the pics!!

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Your .... engine...bay.....:clap::clap::clap:

Dude!! It's just... :eek::eek: sooo clean?!?!? :thumbup::happyanim:

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
lol Yeah I am a freak about cleaning my car

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
My LTFT and STFT are still in great shape 200 miles on the clock!

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
That I don't know but it is a good piece to me. Hard to make an aluminium tube go from 5" to 3".

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Nice review. I also want this intake but don't know how well it plays with the APR stage 2 tune. Seems like the best engineered intake available.

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
One silly question, does the sticker on the las pic come with the CAI?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
How is your engine bay so clean in Dallas. All this construction causing dust makes it almost impossible to keep mine clean!

Great pictures, the IE intake is defiantly loud, whenever i have someone in my car they think i have a blow off valve.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My engine bay has sandy dust all over it. One of the perks of living about a mile from the beach.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the review, and I love the clean engine bay too!! I’ll be in the market for a CAI in the near future, and this looks like a great option.

Do you know if it’s compatible with a CBFA engine?

Yes they are compatible with the CBFA. You just have to select it when you purchase. You will get the SAI along with the above intake.

Thanks for the compliments on the engine bay :D

bommart

Passed Driver's Ed
Great review!