GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 11-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #953
loosecannon

Drives: 2013 2-Door Golf R - Tornado Red
Winter tire package for 2013 Golf R

Just purchased a 2013 2 door Golf R, and the previous owner had summer tires, so I'm looking for a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires.

I live in the Seattle area, and the winters in the city are rarely snowy, mostly just cold and wet. But I do want to be able to go up over to the mountain passes, to go skiing, winter recreation etc, occasionally driving up some sketchier packed snow back-country roads and such, though I was able to make it up those in all seasons on a Honda element, so it's nothing outrageous.

I was thinking about a performance winter tire, specifically the LM-001 with the 17" Anzio Turn wheels. Do you think that would be a good set up? Is there anything in particular you would recommend otherwise. I hesitate to go for the WS-80 or a full winter/studless just cause the dry/wet bare pavement is more the norm.

Is it possible to get steelies or otherwise cheaper wheels for the R, or will they just not clear the brakes?

I have this sitting in my cart on TireRack but am just kinda hesitating before spending that much without being sure it's the right call.
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #954
SpikeyNachos
Ready to race!

Drives: 11 GTI
Winter Tire Thread

Will a performance winter tire have better cold, dry weather grip from a dig than high performance all seasons? Given that tire size, car, conditions are all the same? I do not drive the car in inclement weather. I do however notice a slight decline in my all seasons when the temp. really drops. Curious to hear from those running performance winters how they compare to your all seasons (or whatever else you run) in the cold, dry weather grip department. Specifically from a dig but other categories as well.

Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpikeyNachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #955
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
All seasons trade summer performance for temp range of operation.
Winter tires trade tire compound for temperature.
It might be splitting hairs, but for no weather but colder, i would think the all season would be better.
Any weather and I choose the winter tire

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #956
Blakcard
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
All seasons trade summer performance for temp range of operation.
Winter tires trade tire compound for temperature.
It might be splitting hairs, but for no weather but colder, i would think the all season would be better.
Any weather and I choose the winter tire

This... if you have dedicated summers and are looking for an "all weather" tire for the winter season due to snow or ice or sub zero temps, nothing better than a dedicated winter tire if you have the budget. Cheaper in the long run than insurance deductible
Old 12-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #957
SpikeyNachos
Ready to race!

Thanks Brobst.

Blackcard, no inclement weather.

I'm just curious as to how the performance winter tires stack up against what else others run in regards to cold, dry weather traction only.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #958
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

For cold dry weather, performance all seasons and call it a day. For example, my summers give me full traction in second. My all performance all seasons did not. But I trade that for the temperature range ability of the all season tire.
Idk a performance winter tire just sounds strange. Because what makes it a winter tire, detracts from high performance driving.
At the end of the day, you are just going to lose some performance in the winter. There isn't a winter tire that is going to give you that warm weather performance you are looking for.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #959
SpikeyNachos
Ready to race!

Winter Tire Thread

Thank you. That's what I'm trying to determine before spending the $ on tires and wheels. Done enough of that. I'm curious as to what summer tire you are running?
My experience has me favoring my 17" bfg's a/s over my 18" pss & re71. A lot of research and good chunk of $ to figure that out.

Apologies for going off topic.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #960
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeyNachos View Post
Thank you. That's what I'm trying to determine before spending the $ on tires and wheels. Done enough of that. I'm curious as to what summer tire you are running?
My experience has me favoring my 17" bfg's a/s over my 18" pss & re71. A lot of research and good chunk of $ to figure that out.

I am using hankook ventus v12 evo for summers since they are budget price.
I was using continental Dws06 for all seasons, so one of the better all season tires. Second or third to Michelin a/s3

Old 12-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #961
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeyNachos View Post

I had Pirelli Sottoseries (sp?) for 2 winters and Dunlop Winter Sports before that. They do provide some insane levels of grip, but they still have a "slushy" feeling in corners like most winter tires do. They're pricey and they have a relatively short lifespan, but they do give very good traction.

They don't quite give the same amount of snow traction as a true winter tire like a Blizzak, but is still way better than an all season.

Their compound is kind of the opposite of summer tires... They don't harden up from the cold temps and still provide loads of grip.

zef is offline   Reply With Quote