GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR install trouble

Warguello5113

Over the weekend I attempted to install the APR downpipe on my 2014 gti. Everything seemed to be going well (removal of OEM downpipe from turbo with some PB blaster removal of o2 sensors, etc) until i went to install the APR downpipe (kit DPK0002); it would not fit.

At first I thought it was the wrong part number (number on DP is: DPH0001) but a call today to APR proved it was correct. Called performance shops and they mentioned they never really had trouble installing this particular downpipe. So what could be wrong?

I was troubleshooting and thought, could the stud have bent while removing the nuts or warped over time with the heat, or mix of both? Does this make sense? Im sure it would take a lot of effort to bang one out of shape from impact while removing (i would have known if i made any impact on them--i didnt).

Long story short, I put the original DP and picked up new studs and bolts to install this weekend.

Has anyone come across this issue installing an APR DP or similar issue? Im looking to troubleshoot further. Last resort would be to have it installed at a shop.

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
I remember helping install a downpipe on my friend's mk6 GTI that he bought off eBay and he had similar issues. It seems like the bolt up pattern was slightly off. I told him that I never had this kind of trouble with mine as it just slid right on, no problem.

He sent it back, bought a godspeed one (another ebay hunk) and it worked fine.

Warguello5113

I remember helping install a downpipe on my friend's mk6 GTI that he bought off eBay and he had similar issues. It seems like the bolt up pattern was slightly off. I told him that I never had this kind of trouble with mine as it just slid right on, no problem.

He sent it back, bought a godspeed one (another ebay hunk) and it worked fine.

I was thinking the bolt patter was off also. Im sure anything is possible at this point.

The DP is straight from APR though.

Uberryan

Banned
I was thinking the bolt patter was off also. Im sure anything is possible at this point.

The DP is straight from APR though.

As I recall, they outsource their exhaust manufacturing to corsa. Corsa has had a number of issues with fitment over the years, so nothing would surprise me. Your best bet is to check the stock pipe's gasket, and manifold for any bends or stress on the metal. If the holes for the bolts aren't mangled or bent in anyway, and there's no obvious signs of stress, I would open an RMA case with APR and get another one to make sure. I sincerely doubt heat would bend any part of the exhaust. It would have to be impact trauma.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
As I recall, they outsource their exhaust manufacturing to corsa. Corsa has had a number of issues with fitment over the years, so nothing would surprise me. Your best bet is to check the stock pipe's gasket, and manifold for any bends or stress on the metal. If the holes for the bolts aren't mangled or bent in anyway, and there's no obvious signs of stress, I would open an RMA case with APR and get another one to make sure. I sincerely doubt heat would bend any part of the exhaust. It would have to be impact trauma.

They are built in house now. I have installed so many of these with no issue.

FriggenT1

Banned
Either he got the wrong part, or they fucked it up then. He even stated he got a DP with the # DPH0001 stamped on it vs # DPK0002 which is the part number for the kit, but you'd assume some of the part number would coincide.

Aren't the ccta and cbfa different bolt patterns slightly? Maybe they just got them messed up? Idk

Uberryan

Banned
Aren't the ccta and cbfa different bolt patterns slightly? Maybe they just got them messed up? Idk

Nah, I think someone speculated they might be different, but they aren't. I've seen CCTA pipes on CBFAs and vice versa. VW wouldn't go through the trouble of manufacturing a different bolt pattern on the exhaust manifold for just California regs.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Nah, I think someone speculated they might be different, but they aren't. I've seen CCTA pipes on CBFAs and vice versa. VW wouldn't go through the trouble of manufacturing a different bolt pattern on the exhaust manifold for just California regs.

But they did. Thats why the cheaper ebay downpipe need the holes elongated on 2 to fit CBFA (along with the 3rd bung welded in)

The bigger name exhaust guys tend to make a more "general" mounting place that accommodates both

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

Modified holes to fit a CBFA from a CCTA only downpipe.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Compare your stock and APR downpipe side by side to check for alignment/mounting issues. They should mount the same.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If that's the case, why would APR not have the generalized mounting point pattern?

They did, and there are other downpipes that fit both engines.
Not sure what issue the OP had here

FSI/CCTA downpipes just won't fit the CBFA, whereas a CBFA could fit all of them