GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

kern417

Go Kart Champion
depends on how much power you want. just to run the turbo itself you don't need anything but you can max out the stock fueling system pretty easily.

edit: responded like 20 posts too late. didn't realize there was another page lol.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Great. Any recommendations for a WM kit outside of the Aquamist kit?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

DO NOT waste time with anything other than Aquamist. We've all been here before, but ponying up the extra $500 for the quality system and failsafes is worth it.

Also, running W/M for just "cooling" is completely stupid. Basically you end up spending a pile of money for nothing, and in the end want more power, and then once again you have a sub-par system with low quality nozzles and junk failsafes (if any).

FWIW, I've been running a really aggressive high timing (20 degrees at high RPM, and ~30psi) file for like a year and a half and my car has never seen 100+ octane during that time. I rely on Aquamist for the fueling/knock resistance, and it's never let me down. And my car sees 20k+ miles a year..

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
DO NOT waste time with anything other than Aquamist. We've all been here before, but ponying up the extra $500 for the quality system and failsafes is worth it.

Also, running W/M for just "cooling" is completely stupid. Basically you end up spending a pile of money for nothing, and in the end want more power, and then once again you have a sub-par system with low quality nozzles and junk failsafes (if any).

FWIW, I've been running a really aggressive high timing (20 degrees at high RPM, and ~30psi) file for like a year and a half and my car has never seen 100+ octane during that time. I rely on Aquamist for the fueling/knock resistance, and it's never let me down. And my car sees 20k+ miles a year..

X2 for Aquamist [emoji7]

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I have a question for the big turbo gents, I recently broke a piston, and had to get some new ones. At the time I nor the mechanic knew the exact reason. After doing some hunting I found that it's more than likely the wastegate not opening, thus leading to at least 32lbs being created. Do the internals, ringlands/pistons hold that type of psi and I just had a bad piston, or it that type of psi too much for the ringlands/pistons? I am going to fix the issue, but I was just curious.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
Mahle or CP, but I'd go Mahle.

Something else happened for you to break it. I ran 34psi on my 6262 at the end of last season, would have ran higher also but my WG springs weren't stong enough.

I already put new OEM pistons back in, and by me, I mean the mechanic. Was that a mistake? I was under the impression the pistons were pretty stout and that the rods were the weak point. Even though I had a piston break. However I got IE rods put in as I got them at a good price at the time of install.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Not a huge update on my front, but I bought a QTP low profile exhaust cutout. The switch is mounted, but I still haven't really figured out where to put the actual cutout, nor have I looked. I almost pulled the trigger on the raceland one since it fits so nice, but I didn't want to deal with it leaking a month from now or immediately.

I'm hoping I can fit it above my "UB-type" brace and have enough room for it not to be hitting everything. I'll get under there and cut/cut/cut/hack/weld tomorrow most likely!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Swapped the DW pump for the TTRS pump. Was scheduled to go on the dyno, but my RSR clutch finally started slipping. I guess 60k miles of me abusing it and my wife slipping it finally took its toll.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Swapped the DW pump for the TTRS pump. Was scheduled to go on the dyno, but my RSR clutch finally started slipping. I guess 60k miles of me abusing it and my wife slipping it finally took its toll.
So this is about the rsr lifetime huh 60k miles?
Thats not bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
So this is about the rsr lifetime huh 60k miles?
Thats not bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's with it being removed and installed multiple times on multiple engines with a wife who might not be the best at using a clutch. It only slipped when cold too. I want to get dyno tuned though so I didn't want to risk it.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Not a huge update on my front, but I bought a QTP low profile exhaust cutout. The switch is mounted, but I still haven't really figured out where to put the actual cutout, nor have I looked. I almost pulled the trigger on the raceland one since it fits so nice, but I didn't want to deal with it leaking a month from now or immediately.

I'm hoping I can fit it above my "UB-type" brace and have enough room for it not to be hitting everything. I'll get under there and cut/cut/cut/hack/weld tomorrow most likely!

i say put it as close to the turbo as your willing to deal with. i think fireballs was right behind his subframe