GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time for an upgrade!

Stockmk6

Hey im pretty new around here but I wanted to gather some thoughts and opinions from people that im sure are more educated on this stuff than i am.

I bought my 2011 GTI with 57k on the engine being the third owner.

After some two months if daily driving it i ordered a MAP performance green filter intake.

This thing is fun!

But it threw a check engine light and my connect at MaPerformance told me i need a stage 1 tune which i just ordered with a Cobb AP.

What should i be looking out for?

Anything you can give me i will appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Hey im pretty new around here but I wanted to gather some thoughts and opinions from people that im sure are more educated on this stuff than i am.

I bought my 2011 GTI with 57k on the engine being the third owner.

After some two months if daily driving it i ordered a MAP performance green filter intake.

This thing is fun!

But it threw a check engine light and my connect at MaPerformance told me i need a stage 1 tune which i just ordered with a Cobb AP.

What should i be looking out for?

Anything you can give me i will appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

Ive never heard of a intake requiring a tune.

Seems odd. i ran my CTS turbo intake for like 2 years before getting tuned.

EDIT
I see why now. thats a dumb intake design. Why did they move the maf? (Actually where is the maf? i dont see a housing for it anywhere) I thought it was where the silicon meets the plastic pipe but that doesnt look wide enough or sturdy enough to have a maf sensor.

EDIT #2. I found the maf its built in on the underside.

What was the CEL code you got?

Last edited:

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Definitely shouldn't need a tune just for an intake. I have the Injen intake and its built the same way with the MAF underneath the pipe although my car never threw a CEL.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that's definitely odd.....I put a Carbonio intake on my A3 without any tune at all and ran it that way for quite a while before I got APR. Never had a problem, or got any check engine lights.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I've heard of people getting errors when moving the maf to the underside. Or it could be the crack I'm on but I'm 90% sure. I would clear the code and keep clearing it for a couple weeks till your car learns the new intake.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
If you change the MAF position, it's entirely possible you threw off its ability to read airflow accurately. This will nerf performance for sure, and throw a CEL. I would go with a reviewed intake that leaves the MAF in the original position, and drop that tuner. He has no idea what he's talking about or he's trying to milk you for money.

Stockmk6

If you change the MAF position, it's entirely possible you threw off its ability to read airflow accurately. This will nerf performance for sure, and throw a CEL. I would go with a reviewed intake that leaves the MAF in the original position, and drop that tuner. He has no idea what he's talking about or he's trying to milk you for money.

Just to clarify he didnt tell me to get a tune to run the intake. Just said those combined will give me a bit more fun as opposed to stock

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Just to clarify he didnt tell me to get a tune to run the intake. Just said those combined will give me a bit more fun as opposed to stock

Honestly, with a Stage 1 tune I don't think you'd notice a difference. For example, let's say you flashed APR Stage 1, which is just a tune. A cold air intake might add 5-10 more HP versus the stock intake. I believe it's when you push upwards of Stage 2, where you'd have to upgrade your downpipe, will the gains become more noticeable.

Last edited:

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I say its worth it for the sound and having a serviceable air filter. You get all kinds of sucking, spooling and DV sounds

I personally like the sound of air running through an after market downpipe, but an intake will add some nice sucking sounds. :D

Stockmk6

Update: I do feel more power with more boost :) stock this car should be running 11-13 lbs and its doing a calm 16-18 lbs on stage 1+ Cobb tune with MaPerformance intake. I do think downpipes are next?

Thanks for the feedback guys