GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 06-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
orangeman

Drives: MK6 GTI
Ac troubleshooting

I have a 2011 GTI with ac not working. I have worked on the ac on other vehicles but this one is different. I've been googling for days and can't find info I need to troubleshoot. Looking for help.
So the ac worked fine 1 day next day I start up and no ac. I can't even tell if the clutch is engaging as there is a rubber cover over the end of the pully that blocks the view. Normally I would jumper the relay to force compressor on and check pressures but no relay on this system. The low pressure port pins my guage which leads me to believe sys is charged but compressor is not running.
Looking for advice on how to move forward. I have a multimeter and know how to use it.
orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
orangeman

Ok I purchased a VAG401 clone(more than worth the $50.00) and got 1 trouble code showing bad recirculation flap motor. Fixed this and cleared code still no AC and no codes. Took a close look at the compressor and the shaft was not spinning. Turns out the shear plate had let loose. Compressor was not bound up so considered just replacing the plate but could not find a source for the plate as it is different from the ones available on ebay. Found the exact same PN compressor on a car at the local pick n pull swaped the compressor in recharged the system and AC is working. I did not replace the dryer or any other parts but only opened the system for a few minutes and pulled a vacuum for several hours. Time will tell but so far so good. Best info on ac troubleshooting I found was on the Ross Tech forums.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
orangeman

Didn't even know what an overrun pulley was till it took out the second AC compressor clutch plate. I replaced the AC compressor with a salvage yard unit . It worked for a month then the pulley sheared again. Compressor would spin freely and was not seized so went looking for another cause. What I found is that the alternator overrun pulley was frozen up and would not allow overrun. I had been getting some strange noises occasionally when starting from a stop and engaging the clutch . I first thougtht it was a boost leak or clutch chatter or exhaust rattle just couldn't figure it out.
If your compressor pully shears and the compressor still spins freely be sure to check the alternator pulley before replacing.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
orangeman

OK Last update. I was able to order a new shear plate for the denso compressor from a Chinese website. The old shear plate hub did not want to come of and the central shaft end with 7MM bolt pattern got stipped. I had to drill a hole in the hab parralllel to the shaft and drive a screw driver into the whole to split the old hub off. Its all back to together and working well.

Hope this help someone else out it sure did take alot of time to track everytthing down and get it fixed.