GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel additives for lubrication of HPFP

aditya369us

Ready to race!
As most of you know, the diesel in America does not provide the same lubrication to our HPFP as the diesel in Europe and other parts of the world. This is why some of the HPFP on the 2010 and a few of the 2011 mk6 tdi engines have suffered failure. VW has tried on occasion to deny warranty support on the premise that it was customer error by putting petrol/gas or filling up at places with bad diesel. A group of people have started a class action lawsuit against VW to start taking responsibility for the failures.

I just wanted to know some more info regarding this topic, and what if any additives are being used by other people. Also, i have been advised by my sales advisor to keep ALL fuel receipts !!!!! Supposedly, it was mostly the 2010 cats affected, but there are a couple of cases were 2011 cars were affected also.
The official percentage of cars affected though is only like 0.1percent, but based on how many cases I have been hearing about I think that number may be a bit higher.

aditya369us

Ready to race!
In the owner's manual, VW says to not use any additives. However they indirectly advocate the use of an additive called STANODYNE by first of all telling the service advisors to tell their customers to use it, and second of all this diesel additive (STANODYNE) has an official VW part number and can be picked up at any dealership ! Very confusing !

thanatos

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd second what Timujin said, but I run Optilube XPD exclusively in my '11 TDI, now with 23,000 kms on the clock. Optilube ranked significantly more effectively than Stanadyne.

I asked my dealership about this issue before taking delivery, and they said that the issues generally seem to come from poorer quality diesel in the US market. I have filled up almost exclusively at a single fuel station since I got my car, and have kept every receipt so that should I experience failures, they can't say "bad fuel" or "gas in tank" without a serious fight.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728 is another good point of reference for lubricity info. I actually have to import XPD because there are no Canadian distributors. I bought 2 gallons about 6 months ago, and I'm probably 3/4 through the first one. I generally put about 3oz in a week, which handles about 600kms (little less than 400 miles) and a little more than half a tank based on the driving I'm doing..

aditya369us

Ready to race!
I'd second what Timujin said, but I run Optilube XPD exclusively in my '11 TDI, now with 23,000 kms on the clock. Optilube ranked significantly more effectively than Stanadyne.

I asked my dealership about this issue before taking delivery, and they said that the issues generally seem to come from poorer quality diesel in the US market. I have filled up almost exclusively at a single fuel station since I got my car, and have kept every receipt so that should I experience failures, they can't say "bad fuel" or "gas in tank" without a serious fight.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728 is another good point of reference for lubricity info. I actually have to import XPD because there are no Canadian distributors. I bought 2 gallons about 6 months ago, and I'm probably 3/4 through the first one. I generally put about 3oz in a week, which handles about 600kms (little less than 400 miles) and a little more than half a tank based on the driving I'm doing..

so you have been using optilube xpd since new ? good to know. here in america the dealer is strictly recommending stanadyne saying it is the only one that is VW approved. But i will ask them about optilube xpd and see what they say. By the way, in appearance and odor Stanadyne is remarkably similar to normal diesel !!!????!!! Is that a coincidence ?:rolleyes:

aditya369us

Ready to race!
There is a ton of info here just in case you didn't know:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Thanks for the info. I actually did see some of that first, but i wanted to start a diesel additive thread on golfmk6.com as there really was not one on here. Also i am mostly on golfmk6.com most of the time, so i just wanted to know what the members here were using in their TDi's . It seems like everyone is swearing by a different company on the additives !!!

demonrabbit

Ready to race!
The dealer wont recommend anything because they don't want to be responsible for any failures but "STANODYNE" is used at dealerships when doing your fuel filter so all dealerships should have it in stock and can sell it to you in cases of 4

now on a personal note anytime i add this to my tank i tend to see fuel mpg spike for a while so i like this stuff

other then this there is Diesel Klean which is sold at your local Vauto Zone

Pillow

I use Stanadyne in all my diesel cars and have been pleased. Granted you can really tell a difference on cold mornings in the other diesels, and TDIs in the general drivability. Sometimes the engine feels like it is down on power or "missing" occasionally without the Stanadyne treatment.

I put in 4 oz per fill up FWIW.

Mileage is about the same with or without though.

thanatos

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealer wont recommend anything because they don't want to be responsible for any failures but "STANODYNE" is used at dealerships when doing your fuel filter so all dealerships should have it in stock and can sell it to you in cases of 4

now on a personal note anytime i add this to my tank i tend to see fuel mpg spike for a while so i like this stuff

other then this there is Diesel Klean which is sold at your local Vauto Zone

XPD has tested above all of these for lubricity in independant lab test so I'm gonna stick with that one I think ;)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Using DieselKlean because its readily available everywhere and cheap.

If this thing dumps a HPFP after I use an additive and only top tier diesel then so be it. I will hate it forever.