GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Now that we know the R is coming, will you buy?

Since the Golf R announcement, have you thought about keeping the GTI?

• Yes (the GTI is just that good)

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • Yes (believe R price will be too high)

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Maybe I'll keep the GTI (gotta drive an R to decide)

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • No way, I'm gettin the Golf R!

Votes: 26 21.5%

• Total voters

09vdubgti

Banned
You know what I find kinda funny, its completely different for me,...Im keeping my gti, the R just doesnt do it for me (If it had a Vr than thats a different story but it doesnt) but instead of looking forward to the MK7. I want an mk1/2

-cheap
-vr
-s/c it
= mad pussssyyyyyy and not only that but this car will still handle just as good as any car in the market today. A true weekend toy

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Now I miss my old MK2 GTI. :(

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
That's a tuff decision, had the R20 been out when I bought the GTI... I would have gotten the R20 definetly... now I'm in pretty deep with the GTI with my Ko4 plus other mods... it wouldn't be worth it to sell the GTI for an R20... plus as a fwd it is still very fast out on the race track and curvy canyon roads.

OTOH awd would make great use of my increased power.... hopefully stiffer engine mounts and maybe a true LSD may narrow that gap.

I'm leaning more towards keeping the GTI forever as a DD and occasional weekend track toy... which will allow me to have a used M3/ or Porsche 911 as my next car... maybe sometime down the line someone will have a wrecked R20 that I can pick the awd drivetrain from and stick into the GTI... we'll see...:)

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
That's a tuff decision, had the R20 been out when I bought the GTI... I would have gotten the R20 definetly.

I agree with this.

I was ready to buy the Golf R / R20 in Jan 2010 (originally read this to be the month of the release - C&D article in May 2009).

Now I'm really enjoying the GTI and it's a great DD with the DSG.

We'll see though.

It's one thing to sit here and type out my thoughts in the absence of the Golf R.

It's an entirely different situation when my car is 2 years old and I'm at the dealer sitting in a new Golf R. :D

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Since there will be no DSG and the Direct Injected Engines continue to have "carbon build up issues"... I'll be keeping my GTI until something better comes along.

I truly believe VW's choice to not offer both transmissions is a terrible decision. I have a feeling that sales won't be that good. Not to mention those that took part in the inflated polls reflecting the manual as the best choice. I believe the majority of those who chose manual in the polls were non-purchasers and kids just having fun.

The rumor that the R32 sales fell flat due to DSG only is pure bull. The GTI 2.0t was superior in all departments except AWD... not to mention affordability being most important.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
The fact that it doesn't come with DSG is the selling point, that and AWD. The beefier 2.0t is a definite plus, too.

If I wanted to be lazy and not enjoy a vehicle, I'd go for an automatic. I like driving, so I want a manual. I have other vehicles for when I'm feeling lazy/automatic.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Since there will be no DSG and the Direct Injected Engines continue to have "carbon build up issues"... I'll be keeping my GTI until something better comes along.

I truly believe VW's choice to not offer both transmissions is a terrible decision. I have a feeling that sales won't be that good.

The rumor that the R32 sales fell flat due to DSG only is pure bull. The GTI 2.0t was superior in all departments except AWD... not to mention affordability being most important.

Is the carbon buildup issue only on the engines with the cam-followers or on all DI engines? I've only recently started hearing about this.

I agree that they should have tried to offer both trans, but I don't think it will affect sales as much as many seem to think, or hamper it as bad as the R32. And speaking of, besides DSG only, what else do you think really hurt the R32 - the 2doors? the mpg? the price? it all added up, honestly. I was one of the guys in the market at the time (hell, I always am!), and when they released the R32, it was like a joke to me. AWD was great, as I love having it, but DSG only, slow and heavy, 2dr only, terrible mpg - it was very easy to not even consider. I never even test drove one new - there was no reason to. But now, the R can really compete better with the Japanese cars that are out there.

And again, I've thrown it out there but many don't seem to comment - if everyone wants fast AWD with DSG/paddles, why arent you guys looking at an Evo MR Touring? you can get a spoiler delete, it comes with some ridiculous stereo system, nav, keyless entry, sunroof, heated recaros, etc, and is going to be faster than a R by about .5 seconds, which as many of the DSG fans love to point out, means its A LOT faster ;)

We'll see though. It's one thing to sit here and type out my thoughts in the absence of the Golf R. It's an entirely different situation when my car is 2 years old and I'm at the dealer sitting in a new Golf R. :D

:lol: exactly where I may end up in a few years too! But trying to say no so I can get another/2nd car like you have! ;)

not even thinking about the R because they are using the old FSI engine which uses a cam follower. Cam followers have been known to wear quickly on tuned FSI motors here in the US (although not in Europe). Go search Cam Follower failure FSI, and read up on this very peculiar design problem.

I switched to the TSI MK6 and love it. I am keeping my mk6 for 6 years minimum. Besides, the driving dynamics of our GTI is beyond reproach. Heck, 2010 GTI, Automobile COTY... C and D Top 10 ....

Sorry, I like the R.... but not enough to trade in my GTI for it...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Complete with:

# Leather seating surfaces
# Heated seats & door Mirrors
# Auto rain-sensing wipers
# Auto on/off headlights
# Improved sound deadening
# 710-watt (max.), Rockford Fosgate® performance audio system with 6-CD/MP3-compatible head unit and nine speakers, including a 10-inch, trunk-mounted subwoofer
# SIRIUS® Satellite Radio w/ 3 months service provided by Sirius from date of sale
# FAST-Key electronic keyless entry and starting system
# Leather and sueded combination seating surfaces
# Phantom-black interior trim
# Faux leather door inserts and center console armrest
# Leather and sueded combination seating surfaces
# Center console storage with lid (x2)
# Chrome Grille Surround and Beltline Molding
# Color-keyed body vents

And unless you are in a really high priced area like Cali or perhaps some places in NY, the car should sell for much less than MSRP.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The seats in the MR are amazing. However, at 36 I'm too old to own/drive one.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
but you're not too old to mod the daylights out of your GTI??? :p

LOL, true. But I keep it clean, not boy racer that the MR screams.

From time to time I have to drive vendors and business associates in my car. I like that the GTI is quiet and reserved. I was really embarrassed when I had to take my SVP to the airport in my old heavily modded Mazda3. He kept commenting on the Sparcos.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
LOL, true. But I keep it clean, not boy racer that the MR screams.

From time to time I have to drive vendors and business associates in my car. I like that the GTI is quiet and reserved. I was really embarrassed when I had to take my SVP to the airport in my old heavily modded Mazda3. He kept commenting on the Sparcos.

And the GTI screams... high school kid hatchback? that's what I've heard.. or, "wow, that's a small car".

The MR without the spoiler looks great in person - mean and all "business".

Recaros are incredible, yes.