GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Unitronic Intake Fitment problems

Heitzke

I am the law
My Uni intake fitment is a little tight in that area too, nowhere near as bad as yours though. Part of my issue is that I left the worm clamps facing the engine cover, so it almost touches.

scoots

I saw that you submitted a support ticket over the weekend, it has been received on our side and we'll be back in touch with you today, if somebody hasn't already gotten in touch with you. Email me directly at john@unitronic.ca if you have any additional questions!

Nothing yet. But thank you John for the acknowledgment and I look forward to hearing from you guys on this.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
My fitment is good. No issues here. I would think it has to be the coupler where it meets the turbo. Maybe it's uneven or too far/close from the turbo.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
The installation on these intakes is extremely straight forward, but there are a number of adjustments that can be made. The first, is the alignment of the heat shield. The heat shield mounting locations are slotted, so that you can slide the heat shield left-to-right before tightening the mounting bolts down. Scott mentioned that he has already slid it to the maximum towards the driver's side, so unfortunately that won't assist in the fitment at all. Second is the depth of the intake tube into the 3" to 2.25" Silicone Coupler. If you slide the intake tube too far down, it will result in the tube being significantly pitched downward leading into the turbocharger, which will throw off fitment subsequently through the rest of the intake slightly. It's really hard to see in the images Scott provided due to their size, but, it seems that the intake tube could be slightly adjusted on that side.

I'll continue to work with Scott via the support ticket, to go through the adjustments explained above and worst case, issue a warranty replacement of the silicone elbow, as that is the only piece that could affect fitment in this nature and if that's the culprit, it's a completely isolated instance.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
After fitting this intake many, many times on my car (You know why John, wink wink, nudge nudge) I can also state that the intake will rub on the engine cover IF you tightened up all of the intake piping and clamps as you went through the install.

The trick is to leave the clamps loose. ONLY tighten the clamps attaching the stage 2 pipe to the turbo inlet. The rest need to be loose and only tightened when everything is connected.

Make sure you pushed all of the tubing in ALL the way and check that the mounting bracket attaching the stage 2 pipe to the firewall is sitting at the proper angle. You'll notice you can move it around a bit.

You only need a few mm's of clearance to break free from touching the engine cover but making sure everything is seated correctly is essential. Refer to this video for some tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15lYI8ZTZfo

scoots

Thanks all for the tips. As John pointed out we are working towards finding the best solution to give me the clearance needed to be happy with this product.

I will give John a lot of credit, he's working hard to ensure I get this where it's needed. Very happy with the customer service so far.

I have a few things to try (John's comment above and in my Uni ticket), I'll be sure to post when a resolution is found.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
You could always trim off a few mm from the pipe connecting to the intake filter/heatshield? That should be a last resort though.

scoots

So after some back and forth with John at Unitronic, he was able to tell from additional pictures that the curved hose attached to the heat shield looked to be too long. The picture "Old Elbow" is the one I think that sealed the deal on the elbow being too long (you can see the curve is actually compressed causing a restriction in the pipe).

John set to work doing a warranty claim, and although it took a little time (parts were out of stock, probably because these are popular), I received the new elbow today and threw it on the car. The picture "compare" is trying to show the difference in the two pipes. It is clear that the first elbow I received was for a different application as the new one is much shorter. There is now ample clearance between the engine cover and the pipe (new installed picture).

Overall, I like the Uni intake, but I am very happy with the customer service from John and crew.

Attachments

• Old Elbow.JPG
    Old Elbow.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 213
  • Compare.JPG
    Compare.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 208
  • New Installed.JPG
    New Installed.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 217

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
That's great customer service right there :thumbsup:
Great to see it's resolved.

tbakic

Mine has the exact same issue as yours! I was about to start a thread about my fitment issue with my unitronic cai, the damn elbow is too long. Guess ill send in pictures with a ticket to unitronic to get the correct elbow. I was all ready to cut my elbow down.