GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0299 code - 2011 GTI

Fman1

Hello all,

I have a P0299 code popping up with my 2011 GTI, vehicle is bone stock with no engine modifications. I did some research and replaced the diverter valve with the new rev D. I thought this might have been the issue because the old valve had oil in the actual barrel connection which from what I was told was a sign of failure. After installing the new DV I reset the code, was fine for about a week then it returned. Now it is intermittently coming on and turning off. Vehicle has 92k miles on it with excellent maintenance (4k mile oil changes with Liqui Moly). I had someone follow me today and I got on the throttle and no smoke coming from exhaust, boost seems good with no performance loss.

Anyone have a recommendation of what I should check next? Next move was going to put the vehicle in the air and check the waste gate valve play.

Thanks for any input/recommendations.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
Check and replace the PCV valve diaphragm. They can cause boost leaks and cause a lot of money in damage when they completely fail.

Fman1

Check and replace the PCV valve diaphragm. They can cause boost leaks and cause a lot of money in damage when they completely fail.

Would that be a P0299 code if the PCV was bad? I was told it was a different code? like a misfire or idle problem. The car runs perfect with no idle issues.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There's multiple ways the PCV can fail which can give off different codes. Usually a vacuum leak along with misfire or p0507 idle control higher than expected care the most common

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hello all,

I have a P0299 code popping up with my 2011 GTI, vehicle is bone stock with no engine modifications. I did some research and replaced the diverter valve with the new rev D. I thought this might have been the issue because the old valve had oil in the actual barrel connection which from what I was told was a sign of failure. After installing the new DV I reset the code, was fine for about a week then it returned. Now it is intermittently coming on and turning off. Vehicle has 92k miles on it with excellent maintenance (4k mile oil changes with Liqui Moly). I had someone follow me today and I got on the throttle and no smoke coming from exhaust, boost seems good with no performance loss.

Anyone have a recommendation of what I should check next? Next move was going to put the vehicle in the air and check the waste gate valve play.

Thanks for any input/recommendations.
Watch this VIDEO

Checking the turbo for wastegate play is a good next step along with doing a boost leak check.
^^ This

flight1us

Ready to race!
That's what happened to my turbo and i gave up and went k04, could've saved money with a used turbo but it decent power gains for the price. may try and rebuild the k03 maybe with a forge wastegate actuator

Fman1

There's multiple ways the PCV can fail which can give off different codes. Usually a vacuum leak along with misfire or p0507 idle control higher than expected care the most common

This is why I am not targeting a bad PCV causing the CEL. It is always a P0299 code.

My next question, if it is a bad wastegate can you drive the car for awhile before replacing the turbo? I dont have any performance issues at this time, seems to drive fine.

flight1us

Ready to race!
This is why I am not targeting a bad PCV causing the CEL. It is always a P0299 code.

My next question, if it is a bad wastegate can you drive the car for awhile before replacing the turbo? I dont have any performance issues at this time, seems to drive fine.

You couldm, i did for a while before i got the K04 turbo. just so long as your car isn't in limp mode you should be fine, but change sooner than later

Last edited:

Fman1

You couldm, i did for a while before i got the K04 turbo. just so long as your isn't in limp mode you should be fine, but change sooner than later

Are there any places that sell refurbished turbos that you know of? I would be fine with a stock K03, I dont need any more power.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
im sorry for bumping your thread with no solution but I just wanted to say im in the same exact situation and from my research I've found that it seems to be happening to similar age of mk6's all with similar mileage and just like you my car is bone stock with no tunes or mods. the code first appeared last summer on a really hot day and seemed to come back this summer on the hottest to days and now it is back with a vengeance. when I clear the code, it will go away for as long as I can drive it like a grandma and it will come back usually within a week when I put the car under load + accelerate/merge onto a highway and gain to highway speeds. so far I have replaced the following (I am at 60,000 miles)

dv with rev d.
added go fast bits DV+ when replacing DV
new pcv oil separator OEM
removed and cleaned maf sensor
reverted k&n high air flow filter back to factory to eliminate this as an air leak problem
visually inspected all hoses no problems found
no loss of power, no limp mode
no oil leaks beyond minor oil leaking from pcv hoses when doing removal which I have found to be normal(?)

when doing research about this problem the most frustrating thing is that nobody ever updates their threads with their solutions found. seems people either upgrade until the problem goes away by completely replacing the turbo or getting rid of the car entirely all of which to me are shit solutions and do not inspire any confidence for me keeping this thing for another 60,000 miles. everyone just keeps telling me my turbo is toast but its hard to believe because I never abused the car and I am the original owner and took care of it well. if its the turbo this is my first and last Volkswagen

Last edited:

flight1us

Ready to race!
im sorry for bumping your thread with no solution but I just wanted to say im in the same exact situation and from my research I've found that it seems to be happening to similar age of mk6's all with similar mileage and just like you my car is bone stock with no tunes or mods. the code first appeared last summer on a really hot day and seemed to come back this summer on the hottest to days and now it is back with a vengeance. when I clear the code, it will go away for as long as I can drive it like a grandma and it will come back usually within a week when I put the car under load + accelerate/merge onto a highway and gain to highway speeds. so far I have replaced the following (I am at 60,000 miles)

dv with rev d.
added go fast bits DV+ when replacing DV
new pcv oil separator OEM
removed and cleaned maf sensor
reverted k&n high air flow filter back to factory to eliminate this as an air leak problem
visually inspected all hoses no problems found
no loss of power, no limp mode
no oil leaks beyond minor oil leaking from pcv hoses when doing removal which I have found to be normal(?)

when doing research about this problem the most frustrating thing is that nobody ever updates their threads with their solutions found. seems people either upgrade until the problem goes away by completely replacing the turbo or getting rid of the car entirely all of which to me are shit solutions and do not inspire any confidence for me keeping this thing for another 60,000 miles. everyone just keeps telling me my turbo is toast but its hard to believe because I never abused the car and I am the original owner and took care of it well. if its the turbo this is my first and last Volkswagen

hey responded to your PM... But yeah i got fed up with it after alot of research and talking to local VAG owners who've dealt with it could be a handful of things but the most common is the wastegate actuators are cheaply made and they go over time no matter the mileage im afraid its only an opinion but it seems they were rushed in terms of design and materials used. cost cutting at its best

Fman1

I have access to a lift and was able to put the car up in the air and take a very good look at the turbo. It does appear I have some freeplay in the lever mechanism as seen in the humble mechanic YT video. I mic'd it out with a feeler gauge and it is about .008 of an inch, so I am assuming this small amount of play is the reason I am receiving the CEL.

Now, next question, has anyone tried to insert an E clip into the arm where the gap has been created? It seems to me the clip could be grinded down to .008 and slipped in-between the gap to eliminate any freeplay? This was going to be my next investigation of this possibility. Other than the waste gate play the turbo is in fine condition, seems like a complete waste of money to have to go out and replace the entire turbo.