GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beware of SPM Motor Mounts

GTIfanatic

Ready to race!
These mounts were installed along with my APR KO4 kit. They have approximately 15,000 miles on them and all proper torque specs were followed upon instillation. I've tried to contact SPM several times over the past months but it was only until recently going to some lengthy efforts to get a response through a vendor of there's that I FINALLY got a response saying they couldn't do anything for me and that the mounts were back ordered. Needless to say the complete lack of customer service, sub par quality of these mounts has led me to completely boycott buying anything from SPM again. I m not saying all there products are bad but there complete lack of customer support in this matter has been the determining factor for my lack of desire to ever want to deal with this again. I started sending them emails as soon as I noticed the mount was started to come apart about 3 months ago and today it finally let go. image.jpg

Last edited:

mcgti6

Ready to race!
holy crap on the picture! but from what i hear SPM is going through a weird time now, well for the past few months, so there hasnt been much going on with them but its supposed to get better. when i was getting all my stuff from them before, the customer service was AWESOME. so sucks u hafta come across a problem at a time like now.

but i have those same mounts n have put alot more miles (like 40k) on mine than that and dont have anything happening like that. wonder if u just got some kind of bad batch of polyurethane. i havent seen others get that yet though, and i'd expect that to be alot more prominent if it was from the material.

did u ever spray anything on the mount while engine bay cleaning? maybe something reacted with it....?

GTIfanatic

Ready to race!
I wish I could tell you there was a reason that the polyurethane just started literally crumbling and coming apart but sadly I can't think of anything that would cause this to happen. I'm not the guy that washes/cleans his engine bay. Other than wiping my intake down with a rag when I change my intake filter thats about the extent of it.

DomNhyphy

Passed Driver's Ed
Sheesh that is awful! Mine have been going strong for 15k miles now and show no signs of deterioration. Hopefully it is just a bad unit and you can get some sort of compensation :/

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I didn't even know SPM was still around

They showed up about 3 years ago, introduced some nice products and were active on the forum and then disappeared about 1+ years ago

Now it seems SPM is only carried thru ECS Tuning

DomNhyphy

Passed Driver's Ed
I didn't even know SPM was still around

They showed up about 3 years ago, introduced some nice products and were active on the forum and then disappeared about 1+ years ago

Now it seems SPM is only carried thru ECS Tuning

Yeah I really liked their products, but then they kinda fell off the face of the earth. They were really responsive and helpful a year or so ago then just nothing.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
SPM went out of business i thought? All that legal disputes between them and other manufactures of product stealing?

They were a promising budget minded brand company i probably would have used for exhaust... But seeing how "parts" of there exhaust have shown being "back-ordered" for 8 months now on their own website... and they are supposed to be manufacturing all exhaust in house i doubt they are really around. Maybe just 1 or 2 guys shipping out what they have left over.

GTIfanatic

Ready to race!
Wow have I got some interesting pictures for all to see. Check out these pics! And today SPM responded to my FB messages/pics and decided that I am lying about them not responding to emails and I guess that somehow means that I decided to make up a random story for I guess my amusement. I really enjoy being called out by SPM and them telling me I'm wrong. Yet today I got another "we will look for some extra poly mounts" for a third time being that the first two times they never followed up with me or contacted me again showing that they were half way interested in trying to correct the issue. Rather they take the high road and call my a liar and that they been with me on this issue since day one of my first email. WRONG! Wrong I say. I have emails and dates I'm absolutely willing to post and also of emails recieved. I have nothing to gain by making up or lying about anything, so I guess I'm just crazy and I obviously am delusional about expecting some sort of customer service what so ever.

I'll let the pictures do the talking for the quality and craftsmanship of SPM products. Also you will notice what a real deal quality product looks like next to a not so quality oriented mount. Please see pics!?image.jpg

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Damn...I had a BFI dogbone mount do that in my mk4, but that was after like 4-5 years and 50-60k miles.