GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY for power steering rack?

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys,

Im looking to see if anyone has a DIY for replacing the power steering rack? I noticed that theres a loose bolt around the area where the electric motor is sitting on the subframe and havent been able to find a clear replacement diy

Thanks

10_white_gti

Did one on a 15 tsi jetta should be similar. Involves dropping the front crossmember few big bolts thing isn’t somthing like 6 (said to be stretch bolts) disconnect steering column from rack, Disconnect sway bar links, unbolt 3 bolts from each ball joint connected to the control arms. Remove tie rod, Unbolt dog bone mount, Unplug rack harness. Should all drop down now and just unbolt the rack and replace it. Try searching for sway bar DIY should be just about the same as the rack since they in the same location.

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
Did one on a 15 tsi jetta should be similar. Involves dropping the front crossmember few big bolts thing isn’t somthing like 6 (said to be stretch bolts) disconnect steering column from rack, Disconnect sway bar links, unbolt 3 bolts from each ball joint connected to the control arms. Remove tie rod, Unbolt dog bone mount, Unplug rack harness. Should all drop down now and just unbolt the rack and replace it. Try searching for sway bar DIY should be just about the same as the rack since they in the same location.

did you need a jack to support the subframe where the rack sits on? also did you change the steering rack because it went bad?

10_white_gti

did you need a jack to support the subframe where the rack sits on? also did you change the steering rack because it went bad?

Rack wasn’t bad... car hit a side walk and bent the sub frame so I had to swap it out. I just used my floor jack to lower it all down and slid it out from under the car to work on it.