GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catback Exhaust or Exhaust Tips???

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some help on deciding whether to get a Catback Exhaust for my 2011 GTi or Exhaust Tips. I know that you don’t really see much of a difference with a Catback in terms of sound and performance, but I’m just looking for a moderate increase in those. I’ve seen some videos online, and have determined that Milltek, Magnaflow, and Cobb all have a good enough sound for me with the stock DP, but my favorite looking Exhaust is the ECS Tuning Catback which is backordered. This one was also the only Catback that I couldn’t find a sound clip of. (If anyone has a video of the ECS Catback, I’d appreciate it if you could share it).

Originally, I was going for the visual affect, and wanted to just get the 4 inch Diamond black tips from ECS and install them on the existing muffler, but having seen a few of these Catback systems, I’m leaning towards the full Catback Exhaust.

One thing is certain, whatever I go with must fit perfectly with the rear diffuser cut outs, and should stick out a little more than the stock tips, as I feel they are slightly shorter than they should be. Not too much, just a bit more. Feel like it makes the 4 inch exhaust tips stand out and makes the car look more aggressive.

I have a Black on Black Autobahn DSG, and in addition to the APR Stage 1 that I currently have, I was looking to add the Carbobio intake (now that people have confirmed that there is no flute sound), and VMR 710s Limited Edition (Titanium Black) Wheels (Elimante the need for spacers) with Conti DWS 06. I’m in the North East, so AS are important. Would like to add Diamond Black or Tiramium Exhaust Tips to match with the wheels and complete the look. That’s about it. Don’t want to lower it or add anything else. Just want an aggressive look with some added power and deep growl provided by the intake and exhaust respectively. “NO FARTING EXHAUSTS LOL”. Oh, and I have 57k miles on it, and latelwy I have felt some steering looseness, so I may add the Tyrolsport Collar Kit. I heard it gives back the steering response the car once had, and then some.

Would appreciate any posts with pics of videos of stock Exhaust with aftermarket 4 inch tips and with Catback Exhausts that match the above. Thanks in advance for all the feedback, videos and pics!!!

CMGTI

Ready to race!
In my situation, i will be taking the suitcase off and install my new 4" black tips that have been sitting in my closet lmao. Unless I get sweet deal locally,I will be going that route.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
CBE will give you a change in sound, for sure. Tips, essentially wont. If you leave everything stock in your downpipe, a nice catback can be just right and sound fantastic. If you are concerned about loudness, once you add in messing with the dp, it can be hard to manage - IF you are sensitive to the sound issue, etc.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If my old journal pics are still live from PB, I had ton a few options, one of those was tips.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Honestly, there was good enough sound increase with a EuroJet DP. If you are looking for stock sound but meatier looking tips then that is your choice. Just put the tips on. I just feel it can be ricey but at least your car isn't loud either and barely moving. I guess either way would be rice, lol.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the feedback. I feel like the APR flash and the addition of the Carbonio intake are true performance upgrades that are worth it. I have the flash, and was thinking of adding the intake, along with some wider VMR wheels to give it a more flushed look. Spacers are an option with the stock wheels, but something scares me about them. I feel like they do more damage than good.

I’m torn between spending money on a CBE when it doesn’t really give you any gains, and the only part you really see are the tips. And other than the ECS CBE which isn’t available, i haven’t seen one with really aggressive tips. So I figured why spend the money on a potential small increase in sound, when beefy tips can go a long way in terms of value.

That’s why I was looking to see if people had just added tips to their cars, and what those tips looked like, and how the fitting was.

Last edited:

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
SnailPower....I see that you have a mangaflow exhaust. Are you happy with it? I’ve seen several videos on it and it sounded a little deeper than the stock exhaust, and looked good with the 4 inch tips. I was leaning towards that until I saw a few reviews about the CBE having fitment issues and bad customer service.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
CMGTi....Can you provide a pic once you do it? I was thinking of getting the diamond black tips from ECS, but wanted to see if anyone had them on their car first to get some feedback.

SJC

Ready to race!
SnailPower....I see that you have a mangaflow exhaust. Are you happy with it? I’ve seen several videos on it and it sounded a little deeper than the stock exhaust, and looked good with the 4 inch tips. I was leaning towards that until I saw a few reviews about the CBE having fitment issues and bad customer service.

I have a catted Unitronic DP and Magnaflow cat back.
Deep sound that screams beautiful, acceptable noise at high revs.
Suitcase ugliness is gone and 4” tips look beauty.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for the feedback. I feel like the APR flash and the addition of the Carbonio intake are true performance upgrades that are worth it. I have the flash, and was thinking of adding the intake, along with some wider VMR wheels to give it a more flushed look. Spacers are an option with the stock wheels, but something scares me about them. I feel like they do more damage than good.

I’m torn between spending money on a CBE when it doesn’t really give you any gains, and the only part you really see are the tips. And other than the ECS CBE which isn’t available, i haven’t seen one with really aggressive tips. So I figured why spend the money on a potential small increase in sound, when beefy tips can go a long way in terms of value.

That’s why I was looking to see if people had just added tips to their cars, and what those tips looked like, and how the fitting was.

good stuff here. I have owned VMR's as well - good fitment, cheap to replace if you wreck one, etc.

Agree 1000% - just a flash and an a quality intake like the Carbonio does wonders. You could even skip / not ever do stage 2, tbh. A catback is nice to have fo rthe sound. if you are sensitive for noise levels - dont go dp, and perhaps just do tips like some magnaflows or any other options out there right now.

for me, on both platforms and modding through the GTI and the A3 (same engines, different trans), I think stage 1 and an intake is best bang for your buck. Next would be the K04 honestly... other than that, you are getting somewhat minimal gains for the money spent, and definitely more loudness if you are trying to keep the levels down. I REALLY loved my stage 1 car with a magnaflow catback - the tips, the sound.. amazing.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
CMGTi....Can you provide a pic once you do it? I was thinking of getting the diamond black tips from ECS, but wanted to see if anyone had them on their car first to get some feedback.

Will do.

Its not rice if you swap the tips on the exhaust, they're too tiny as it is. I like the one dude that put Tiguan tips on our cars. It turned out pretty nice.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a catted Unitronic DP and Magnaflow cat back.
Deep sound that screams beautiful, acceptable noise at high revs.
Suitcase ugliness is gone and 4” tips look beauty.

Magnaflow seems to have a good sound. Any fitment issues? I read that people have had issues, especially with one tip sticking out more etc.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
good stuff here. I have owned VMR's as well - good fitment, cheap to replace if you wreck one, etc.

Agree 1000% - just a flash and an a quality intake like the Carbonio does wonders. You could even skip / not ever do stage 2, tbh. A catback is nice to have fo rthe sound. if you are sensitive for noise levels - dont go dp, and perhaps just do tips like some magnaflows or any other options out there right now.

for me, on both platforms and modding through the GTI and the A3 (same engines, different trans), I think stage 1 and an intake is best bang for your buck. Next would be the K04 honestly... other than that, you are getting somewhat minimal gains for the money spent, and definitely more loudness if you are trying to keep the levels down. I REALLY loved my stage 1 car with a magnaflow catback - the tips, the sound.. amazing.

Thanks. If I do tips, I’m thinking of the ECS 4 inch ones, but I’m not sure if they fit well. Also, I’m happy to read about another satisfied Magnaflow customer. I was reading a lot of negatives about them.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I personally like having that nice shiny polished muffler and pipes sticking out below my booty a little bit. I would do more than just tips, but that's just me. I did a catback for the sound, so the better visual aesthetics was a bonus.

GTiMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks really aggressive. I know this is CTS, but I’m actually starting to like what I see and hear from the Borla Catback.

Last edited: