GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Parking brake adjustment

Thought I would port this over from another discussion on another thread. The question was on adjusting the parking brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
^^^ copied for reference

STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).
This totally works
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
Thought I would port this over from another discussion on another thread. The question was on adjusting the parking brake.

This totally works
Great Find!

Seems to work on my wife's Honda Accord, as well.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-19-2018 at 09:00 AM.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Thumbs up

I had previousely adjusted the parking brake cable 3 turns looser. Tried this procedure on the Golf today, made no difference, so was glad nothing was "out".

If anything was out it would have only taken 5 minutes to readjust the cable. When I originally adjusted the parking brake I didn't remove the middle console when I adjusted the parking brake; rather removed the 2 screws holding the small recessed compartment at the back of the middle console and used a 1 1/2 inch stepped drill bit (looks like a cone) and drilled an access hole to the parking brake adjuster. Used a flex head and 10 mm socket to adjust it. Cleaned up and replaced the small recessed compartment and the 2 screws and no one knows you were even in there.

Here is the more common way to get to the parking brake adjustment nut:
https://youtu.be/Ott9sKJSpKk

Last edited by MLue1; 10-25-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
Wascally Wabbit
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Rabbit Diesel/TDI/2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
I had previousely adjusted the parking brake cable 3 turns looser. Tried this procedure on the Golf today, made no difference, so was glad nothing was "out".

If anything was out it would have only taken 5 minutes to readjust the cable. When I originally adjusted the parking brake I didn't remove the middle console when I adjusted the parking brake; rather removed the 2 screws holding the small recessed compartment at the back of the middle console and used a 1 1/2 inch stepped drill bit (looks like a cone) and drilled an access hole to the parking brake adjuster. Used a flex head and 10 mm socket to adjust it. Cleaned up and replaced the small recessed compartment and the 2 screws and no one knows you were even in there.
You have to follow the procedure exactly. Worked perfect for me. My brake was really loose after doing the rear brakes. Now it's back to three clicks tight. He does mention in the post that if you adjusted the brake manually your SOL so maybe that does something to how it self adjusts.
Wascally Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #5
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
You have to follow the procedure exactly. Worked perfect for me. My brake was really loose after doing the rear brakes. Now it's back to three clicks tight. He does mention in the post that if you adjusted the brake manually your SOL so maybe that does something to how it self adjusts.
Lets not stress over this, I don't believe it's a big deal,....what did we do before we learnt of this procedure.

If it doesn't work the first time, you can get back to square by (1) removing the rear calipers and screw the piston back into the caliper bore and try the procedure again and/or (2) adjust the parking brake cable manually.

No worries !!!

PS. So long as the parking brake works that's all I care about, if it is adjusted to 3 clicks ...great but, some times at spec, the parking brake can be a bit tight and bind slightly, I'd rather adjust it so it works but not bind at all.

It's not uncommon for VW parking brakes to be too tight from the factory, it is a PDI item to check/adjust the parking brake and customers bring their new cars back to the dealer to have the brakes readjusted after taking delivery.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-23-2018 at 12:33 AM. Reason: PS
Old 10-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
OrangeSpy
Autocross Champion

Drives: '12 VW Golf 2.5L 5D
This might be related to a problem I have been having.
This winter I replaced all my pads and rotors and greased the slides. The e-brake felt stiff afterward. my first drive was a quick 5 minute shot to the gas station. When I arrived I found my rear driver rotor glowing red and the brake pads smoking. After this the e-brake returned to how it normally felt and the brake never seized again. A few weeks ago how ever my rear passenger side did the same thing. Again, it fixed it's self.
My e-brake light was never on, I never had the warning "dings" and didn't feel like the cars brakes were engaged so I don't believe I left the e-brake up at all. (Especially since that would be both sides rather then 1)

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
MLue1
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSpy View Post
This might be related to a problem I have been having.
This winter I replaced all my pads and rotors and greased the slides. The e-brake felt stiff afterward. my first drive was a quick 5 minute shot to the gas station. When I arrived I found my rear driver rotor glowing red and the brake pads smoking. After this the e-brake returned to how it normally felt and the brake never seized again. A few weeks ago how ever my rear passenger side did the same thing. Again, it fixed it's self.
My e-brake light was never on, I never had the warning "dings" and didn't feel like the cars brakes were engaged so I don't believe I left the e-brake up at all. (Especially since that would be both sides rather then 1)

Any ideas?
Brake cable(s) are/is sticking or return spring on the caliper(s).

This video shows how to check the parking brake cable and spring(s), your rear caliper can have either the scissor/torsion springs on the outside the caliper body or can have a coil spring inside a rubber boot on the cable itself like the one shown in the video.

Last edited by MLue1; 10-25-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 10-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
OrangeSpy
Autocross Champion

Drives: '12 VW Golf 2.5L 5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Brake cable(s) are/is sticking or return spring on the caliper(s).

This video shows how to check the parking brake cable and spring(s), your rear caliper can have either the scissor/torsion springs on the outside the caliper body or can have a coil spring inside a rubber boot on the cable itself like the one shown in the video.
Thanks! Going to the garage for the season next week so I'll check it out

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk