GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is 2k under invoice realistic?

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
Hello All! I'm looking at picking up a 4 DR, Sunroof and Navi DSG and interested to know if 2k off invoice or ~ 3k under MSRP is realistic on these cars at this point?

I actually drive 2011 S4 right now which is a fantastic car but my long term plans had always been to get into something lower cost after buying a house and starting a family which has happened sooner than I anticipated! In addition in my current job I drive about 10 miles a day so I'm really not making use of all the power and sometimes feel like i'm wasting a fantastic car.

What drew me to the GTI was that I previously drove a 2008 Audi TT dsg which is basically the same car in a less useful package. The GTI has a great interior and a decent fun to drive factor for the price.

I would have loved to wait for a 2014 GTI/A3 but i feel like the deals right now may be hard to pass up since they won't be discounting the new model right away.

I have no cash flow issues and equity in the S4(it's a lease and I am WAY under mile) so i'm definitely willing to play hardball since worst case scenario is I buy the S4 :)

All that being said 4dr navi DSG retail for ~30500 is getting one at ~27000 realistic with all you guys have seen?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
2-3k off msrp, yes.

off of "invoice".. depends on who is telling you what the invoice is ;)

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Haha Ill trade you, but I have a 2dr with Navi and 6mt :D S4 is a great car and likely what Ill be getting.

I know people getting leftover 2012 Golf Rs were getting close to 3k off, however the GTI seems to be a bit stronger. Im sure that once the Mk7 starts getting marketed in the US the prices for new Mk6s will go way down.

Socal is a tough place to buy a popular car, dealers in our area seem to never want to play ball.

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
2-3k off msrp, yes.

off of "invoice".. depends on who is telling you what the invoice is ;)

True! I'm just going off edmunds and what not. The margins are only 1-1.5 k on GTIs which seem artificially low. Is it a well known "secret" that VW publishes invoice prices that are higher than actual cost? :)

I've already surveyed the local markets and there are a good 7-8 4dr DSG/Navis around so ill plan to canvas the dealers with emails near the end of the month.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
all dealers do.

use edmunds for the price quotes, yes.

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
Getting 2-3k off MSRP shouldn't be too much trouble. Getting anything off invoice is not too likely at all imo. Since dealer invoice is what the dealership paid for the car in the first place. I doubt they would be willing to cut their losses for no reason.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
San Diego may be a bit on the higher side for california pricing.. But 3-4k off sticker is def achievable.

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
Getting 2-3k off MSRP shouldn't be too much trouble. Getting anything off invoice is not too likely at all imo. Since dealer invoice is what the dealership paid for the car in the first place. I doubt they would be willing to cut their losses for no reason.

See this is what confuses me about the published MSRP and invoice prices.

For example 4 dr dsg nav internet published invoice: $28,459 internet published MSRP$29,645 (note these don't include the dest charge)

So on one hand you have the invoice listed as only 1.2 K lower than MSRP, but it seems 3k off MSRP is realistic which puts the prices almost 2k under the invoice.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
what site is that from?

these "invoices" prices are not real, you need to go off of TMV for the most part, and also just as low as you can go. Dealers giving/showing you their "invoice" or straight out lying.

smac24

Ready to race!
I picked up the 4door dsg conv/nav. They msrp'd me at 30710. invoice at 29500ish. Got it for 2.7 under their msrp before title/tax with monster mats thrown in free. Dont go off their numbers. Jeffc if you need PM me it looks like we are both in SD :D

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I picked up the 4door dsg conv/nav. They msrp'd me at 30710. invoice at 29500ish. Got it for 2.7 under their msrp before title/tax with monster mats thrown in free. Dont go off their numbers. Jeffc if you need PM me it looks like we are both in SD :D

that's not the true "invoice" price.

smac24

Ready to race!
I understand that invoice will differ and a dealership will always show you above what their ACTUAL invoice is. He should be able to find a general avg online and based on what everyone else is getting and then try to go lower.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
I believe VW’s holdback is 2%. If a GTI lists for $32,110 and real cost is $30,816, they can sell it for $30,200 just to move it off the lot and make no money. That would represent 5.9% under MSRP and obviously 2% under real invoice.

I would not expect that on a 2013 car. (Because the GTI is a higher demand car, they may not even sell it at cost.) If a dealer sells a 2012 for 2% under real invoice, beware, it may still not be a good deal. It may not be enough to offset the fact the car has depreciated one year. A 2012 GTI with 1,000 miles will have a trade-in value that is about $3,000 less than a used 2013 GTI with 1,000 miles on it.

jeffc31337

Ready to race!
Yeah I wouldn't touch a 2012 at this point unless used. That's a double whammy with the mk7 model coming out and it already depreciating a year.

@GunKata the invoice prices there were from Edmunds.com and match what i have seen on yahoo and trucar. Seems something odd is going on there because lots of people are getting several thousand off invoice. Would be great to find a resource from VW sales on here who knows the REAL invoice pricing.

Lots of different ideas in this thread which is great. Since i'm not in a rush to make the move because I love my current car and have opportunity to wait I think ill blast out some emails towards the end of the month with some "aggresive" pricing on my part at the end of this month!

leeb79

I'm in the market for that same setup right now. Looking to buy in the middle of March. I used www.carwoo.com to get anonymous quotes from local dealers and now I'm starting to get them to bid against each other. First offers were 28400+ttl for 2013 or 27900+ttl for 2012. I'm sure there's still room to go lower.