GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbocharger overboost

grantbryson

Hi all, I am new to the group and have recently bought a Mk6 2009 Golf Gtd 170 with full VW service history and 100k.
Car had been no bother at all until today when it had a loss of power at around 75mph. Dash warning light started flashing yellow and message was “engine fault, visit workshop”.
Got home, switched off and left for a while before going back out to start it. Warning light never came back on so took it for a run and was fine again until I accelerated to around 70mph when it done the same again.
My mate came round (who has a recovery business) and put his diagnostics computer on it, and it came up with “turbocharger overboost” but no fault codes, however, his computer is basic for various vehicles.
I have looked at a few forums for ideas, and a lot of them go on about vag and codes etc and lots of possible causes, but if I’m honest I do not understand all the technical jargon.
Just wondered if anyone had experienced this or knows what the likely cause is.
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I had the same thing on my VW Crafter van recently, it was fixed by fitting a new turbo, luckily its leased so it didn’t cost me anything.

grantbryson

What is the actual code you are getting? Is it P0234 “overboost condition” ? If you’re “lucky” it could just be the G71 or N35 sensor that’s faulty rather than the turbo itself,
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16618/P0234/000564

Hi, didn’t bring any codes up but I think that was just because it is a basic diagnostics computer and not specifically VW. Just said under faults that it was turbocharger overboost, whatever that means.
Really hope new turbo is not required!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hi, didn’t bring any codes up but I think that was just because it is a basic diagnostics computer and not specifically VW. Just said under faults that it was turbocharger overboost, whatever that means.
Really hope new turbo is not required!

Even the most basic code reader should bring up codes as that’s what it’s looking for! It doesn’t need to be VW specific, you need the code really as a starting point but from what you’ve said it is likely to be P0234 ‘over-boost condition’, probably best to get it scanned by someone else.

grantbryson

Even the most basic code reader should bring up codes as that’s what it’s looking for! It doesn’t need to be VW specific, you need the code really as a starting point but from what you’ve said it is likely to be P0234 ‘over-boost condition’, probably best to get it scanned by someone else.

Ok I will do. Thanks for your advice. Will keep you posted.