GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #29
danman1280
Ready to race!

Drives: 2011 MK GTI K04
Does anyone get the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s anymore?
danman1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #30
GtiDom25
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Mk6 GTI, Stage 2. BillyBoat �
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman1280 View Post
Does anyone get the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s anymore?
I just got them
GtiDom25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #31
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
i just got some Road Hugger GT ultras. they are gonna go on at 5pm today. They were relatively cheap and had pretty good reviews.
They are a discount-tire in house brand (made by nitto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #32
Roh Echt
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2007 MKV GTI
I used Sport Contact 2, standard equipped, for two sets. Didn't get 20k miles from either of the two sets. I then switched to a some other summer sets from Kumho(3 of 4 got sidewall blisters) and Sumitomo HTR ZIII(low miles and OK but not great traction) and was disappointed so I went to a set of Extreme Contact DW. Wasn't satisfied with them, lost traction often when cold and wet, and didn't get 20k miles as well. I am currently running a set of Pirelli P-Zero A/S Plus because they've been tested and rated higher than Conti DW and have a 40k warranty. I love the improvement in performance handling and hope to get the miles promised from them...plus, are more comfortable. The Pirelli's cost just $10/tire more than the Conti DW. I am now considering staying with Ultra High Performance All Season Tires year round on the Daily...and want to try a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, w/6 yr-45k mile warranty, next time but they aren't as nice a ride as the Pirelli are(per test result). I do live in Oregon and see wet and/or cool temps more often than temps a summer tire would need to be happy on.
`07 GTI/GIAC K04 files/AWE DV/APR HPFP/TTRS LPFP/Torqbyte PM3/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/TechtonicsTuning TB/2.25" Turbo Outlet/BSH MOUNT's/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/GIAC DSG Tune/13.2BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH

Last edited by Roh Echt; 03-04-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Roh Echt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #33
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
i just got some Road Hugger GT ultras. they are gonna go on at 5pm today. They were relatively cheap and had pretty good reviews.
They are a discount-tire in house brand (made by nitto)
just to update they are alright. I dont really hooligan around anymore and they seem quiet and comfy. I have done a little spirited driving and they have held up during that. So these work well for me the guy who mainly just commutes and cruises around with some spirited driving on occasion.

plus a 50k tread warranty will last me the life of the vehicle lol. ive had the car for 5 years and only put 24k and change in miles.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #34
dustbunny227
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 UG GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlody91 View Post
I'd take a look at the BF Goodrich G-force Comp 2 A/S tires. They're like the Michelin A/S 3+ where they're all-season tires but emphasize more dry/wet traction over winter performance, all the while lasting 40k+ miles and being $50 cheaper per tire.
I second this. I love my Comp 2's! So much grip! Not bad for an A/S tire.
Instagram
dustbunny227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #35
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
PSS are a great DD tire, can't wait to try PS4S
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #36
Dub_Polo
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG
I have a dedicated winter set up thats usually on from November/December all the way through April (I am at school so I change it whenever I am home). I know the PSS wear quickly do you think I'll be okay since I have other wheels to switch to?
Old 02-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #37
GtiDom25
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub_Polo View Post
I have a dedicated winter set up thats usually on from November/December all the way through April (I am at school so I change it whenever I am home). I know the PSS wear quickly do you think I'll be okay since I have other wheels to switch to?
From all the information I've gathered about them over the last few months, they don't last long at all even for the casual driver. I've seen people saying they only lasted 5,000 miles. I also only I've summer tires on for a few months out of the year and was told the pss will not last more than 2 seasons even like that.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #38
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
I've gotten 28k miles out of my PSS until 4/32", rotated tires every 5k, 1 track day and spirited drives...but if you're an experienced track junky, PSS will not hold up to the abuse, you'll need a dedicated max performance summer tire or some sort of track tire in the 200TW range
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | ST40| Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #39
SJC
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Iím trying the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500ís
SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:20 PM   #40
GtiDom25
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC View Post
Iím trying the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500ís
I've got mine mounted, I'm just waiting for the summer to put them on the car and actually try em out. I can already see how sticky they are though so that's good
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #41
2.0T Dan

Drives: '13 Audi A3
I had the pilot super sports and I am not going to lie they were the best tires I've had on the car. They wore out super quick though, but I drive the car pretty hard. I think they lasted max 15k miles. I wanted a better bang for my buck so I went with the A/S 3+. The price difference is amazing! A/S3+ =$148/tire | PSS = $170/tire. The A/S 3+ have lasted 30k miles so far, and could go longer if I didn't have a slight alignment issue. In my opinion the difference between the two are so minimal. The PSS are a little more grippier, but I feel like the A/S 3+ are better in the rain, especially since the tread lasts longer. If you want the grip of the PSS but the life of an all season, definitely go with the A/S 3+.

Last edited by 2.0T Dan; 03-01-2018 at 05:45 PM.
2.0T Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #42
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0T Dan View Post
I had the pilot super sports and I am not going to lie they were the best tires I've had on the car. They wore out super quick though, but I drive the car pretty hard. I think they lasted max 15k miles. I wanted a better bang for my buck so I went with the A/S 3+. The price difference is amazing! A/S3+ =$148/tire | PSS = $170/tire. The A/S 3+ have lasted 30k miles so far, and could go longer if I didn't have a slight alignment issue. In my opinion the difference between the two are so minimal. The PSS are a little more grippier, but I feel like the A/S 3+ are better in the rain, especially since the tread lasts longer. If you want the grip of the PSS but the life of an all season, definitely go with the A/S 3+.
good review thanks man. Thats why i went with a "performance" All season as well. my conti exteme contact DW tires only lasted like 12k. The new Road Hugger GT Ultras have a 50k warranty so if i can at least get half that ill be happy they feel pretty solid and i would say they are pretty quiet in comparison to the DW but that could also be due the the fact the DW tires were at 4/32"-3/32" when changed lol.
Quote:
Quote: