GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

42 dd o2 spacer ?

So I have a euro jet turbo back with the cat delete pipe and I had the car throw the lean code for a bad cat. So I installed the 42 draft design spacer because I read that other people had good luck with it. After the install I cleared the code and after about a hour of driving it came back. Wondering if anyone else used the spacer with good results. Also for stage two I was planing on going with unitronic however I read that a few people were still getting the lean code with the stage 2 tune. Any Input for either questions would be helpful !

Thanks
Matt

Muellebs

Ready to race!
So I have a euro jet turbo back with the cat delete pipe and I had the car throw the lean code for a bad cat. So I installed the 42 draft design spacer because I read that other people had good luck with it. After the install I cleared the code and after about a hour of driving it came back. Wondering if anyone else used the spacer with good results. Also for stage two I was planing on going with unitronic however I read that a few people were still getting the lean code with the stage 2 tune. Any Input for either questions would be helpful !

Thanks
Matt

I installed elbows and spacers in both pre and post cat delete section. Pointed towards the engine bay. I only have about 50 miles so far though.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
i am CBFA, i had it originally on the post cat o2 only, but that threw a code within 50 miles...so i threw in the the other spacer on pre and post cat now and so far i have about 70 miles no codes yet *knock on wood* they are both pointed towards the back end of the car for me

I was always under the impression you should never space the first sensor?

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
throw the lean code for a bad cat.

The code (P0420) for a bad (inefficient) cat does not indicate rich or lean (and it would probably show rich if it did). If you aren't throwing P0420, you should check the exhaust for upstream leaks. This can cause lean codes.

And referencing the previous posts, they did not install a spacer on the first O2 sensor, but the pre and post cat sensors. CBFA engines have 3. That being said, I don't know about the necessity or effectiveness of installing a spacer on the pre cat sensor.

Muellebs

Ready to race!
The code (P0420) for a bad (inefficient) cat does not indicate rich or lean (and it would probably show rich if it did). If you aren't throwing P0420, you should check the exhaust for upstream leaks. This can cause lean codes.

And referencing the previous posts, they did not install a spacer on the first O2 sensor, but the pre and post cat sensors. CBFA engines have 3. That being said, I don't know about the necessity or effectiveness of installing a spacer on the pre cat sensor.

It may have not been needed, but I did it for safety / don't want to have to install it after installing the DP and getting a code. The cbfa has the two sensors pre and post cat. The third is on the turbo itself? (Please correct me if I am wrong, I just know its not in the elbow of the downpipe). I read a number of posts regarding the spacers, direction and a few that had done both pre and post cat spacers. I went ahead and did both with 90 degree elbows and spacers. 70+ miles and no code. If it throws a CEL I will be sure to update.

Gray6

Ready to race!
You need two spacers...one for pre cat and one for post. I had the same problem and I'm using two 42dd spacers without a problem.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I was always under the impression you should never space the first sensor?

You shouldn't, the first one is most important for fuel/air mixture. But the first sensor is in the turbo, before any cats. The 2 on the downpipe are for emissions purposes and can be spaced without issue.

You definitely have to space the second sensor because it is comparing it's readings to the readings from the 1st sensor and in the OEM downpipe there is a cat between them. You have to space it so that it shows cleaner than the first sensor. The 3rd sensor is comparing it's results to the 2nd one and while there is a cat between them it is smaller than the 2nd OEM cat and so still needs a spacer.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
You shouldn't, the first one is most important for fuel/air mixture. But the first sensor is in the turbo, before any cats. The 2 on the downpipe are for emissions purposes and can be spaced without issue.

You definitely have to space the second sensor because it is comparing it's readings to the readings from the 1st sensor and in the OEM downpipe there is a cat between them. You have to space it so that it shows cleaner than the first sensor. The 3rd sensor is comparing it's results to the 2nd one and while there is a cat between them it is smaller than the 2nd OEM cat and so still needs a spacer.

bingo, thanks for the explanation thumper...i read that on vwvortex also. i bought 2 incase if 1 didn't work, but turned out that i did need to install both spacers

boosted plinko

Ready to race!
I am running a 42 3" dp with one spacer on the 3rd o2 and I am cove free. It took some time to get it there. You have to run the car till the code shows back the spacer out some clear the code and repeat till dose not come back. O and I'm cbfa. If you only have the two than pit it on the second and back out till code dose not come back.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I am running a 42 3" dp with one spacer on the 3rd o2 and I am cove free. It took some time to get it there. You have to run the car till the code shows back the spacer out some clear the code and repeat till dose not come back. O and I'm cbfa. If you only have the two than pit it on the second and back out till code dose not come back.

how many miles do you have on it now?

boosted plinko

Ready to race!
Stopped counting

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Learned a lot here, thanks Thumper. Do you recommend the 42 dd spacer or another brand? Thanks.