GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can you run a k03 with oil only?

So not really pertaining to gti's but I have a k03 lying around that I'm going to use on a turbo knucklehead motor for my bike I'm building. So to avoid making a whole separate pump and cooling setup for coolant can I run another oil line threw the coolant ports as a substitute?

Thank you
Matt

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I've heard of people doing it before. Just be sure to use a turbo timer/let it idle after.

Thanks guys might be alittle while before pics but I will post some when it is done thanks again

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
you can run any turbo on just oil, but make sure you idle it after running to cool it down, otherwise it will "coke" the oil in the center housing and score the shaft

Given that the turbo will be hanging on thw side of the motor and not under a hood and im also going to run oil threw the coolant ports I would hope that would be enough to cool the turbo sufficiently but I can see there are two different answers

Jamie@APR

Ready to race!
The oil will not stay inside the water passages and will just drain back into the oilpan, just like the normal oil lines would. Even if you did have oil filled in those passages you would most likely have a ton of oil coking that would occur almost immediately. Running a turbo timer for 1-2 minutes after shutdown will help lower the temps but there still will be a decent amount of heat within the exhaust manifold and turbine housing once you shut the engine off. This heat will quickly be wicked into the center section of the turbo and could cause premature failure.

I'm actually going to be running a secondary electrical oil pump that will be dedicated to the turbo be cause the motor doesn't provide enough pressure so I had planned on leaving the pump on for a few minutes after wards to provide cooling. In theory would that help?

Well ill be sure to let you guys know what happens after a few months lol thanks for all the help

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Given that the turbo will be hanging on thw side of the motor and not under a hood and im also going to run oil threw the coolant ports I would hope that would be enough to cool the turbo sufficiently but I can see there are two different answers

I would think about running separate circuits for the oil "cooling" through the water ports and the oil lubrication through the usual oil port. If you just put a "T" in the oil pressure line and ran it to the lube port and coolant port (run in parallel) you will likely have a pressure drop as the coolant port will have much less obstruction and resistance, pressure will take the path of least resistance. Alternatively you can possibly run the oil in "series" and just go through the coolant passage first THEN to the oil pressure port and down out the drain tube.

Chris@DoubleApex

Ready to race!
So to avoid making a whole separate pump and cooling setup for coolant can I run another oil line threw the coolant ports as a substitute?

Not sure if running oil through the coolant passages is a good idea, but oil only would likely work as long as you have good air flow around the turbo (sounds like you will), good oil pressure, and run conservative EGTs and wheel speeds. Also it would be critical to not shut off the engine with the turbo hot, or otherwise use a turbo timer.

It's a different turbo and bearing but for what its worth Borg Warner does not require coolant be used with their EFR turbos, although its highly recommended.

You could also try to contact BW and see what they say.
http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/en/contact/default.aspx