GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuse Location For RNS-315 In '11 Golf?

1analguy

Ready to race!
The NAV unit in my '11 NA Golf has been coming up with some ultra-"creative" routing solutions lately, and I'd like to pull its fuse to re-boot it. The car also has DyneAudio which, I'm guessing, would be on a separate fuse from the NAV unit. The owner's manual doesn't even give the correct location for my fuse panel (actually located on the left end of the instrument panel, facing the door), let alone which specific fuse powers the radio, and there is no fuse "map" on the inside of the fuse panel cover as would be expected, so I have no idea which fuse I should pull. I don't want to just start pulling fuses willy-nilly as I don't want to create more problems than I already have. Can anyone tell or show me which one I need to pull?

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
pulling the fuse wont do anything, thats how the system(RNs-315) is like. Get a map update if you have not update it yet, it might help. There is a fuse behind the headunit where the connector goes if you really want to try it, I'm not 100% sure if thats the fuse for the headunit, but looks like it.

1analguy

Ready to race!
I got my first and, so far, only map update last year. It actually did improve on some features...most notably screen zooming options, but the problem with nonsensical routing is quite recent. Maybe just the last couple of months. We'll be taking a couple of trips in the coming months (one of them into Canada), and it would be nice if I didn't have to bring my portable Garmin along to back up the expensive in-car unit. I'm thinking of just disconnecting the battery for an hour or two and trying that if I can't find out for sure which fuse powers the NAV. Failing that, I wonder if there is a magic button combination that will force a reboot or reset on this unit...

What kind of car company refuses to provide this kind of basic information to its customers? Sadly, the answer to that question is probably "German". Back in '03, I briefly (9 months) owned an outrageously unreliable two-year-old Mercedes E320, and the manuals for that car were equally un-forthcoming. Do the Germans really believe that Americans are to stupid to be trusted with which fuse powers what? Sheesh...

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
to be honest, it will be easier to just use your phone. Unless you really dont have any signal at all, if not phone is 10 times better than the OEM nav. but if you have no signal and need direction... well OEM will still get you to the place you want to go so thats not too bad.

1analguy

Ready to race!
That's what I like about GPS; it works no matter where you are. I can't speak for anyone else, but when we travel by car there is often no cell coverage, so I don't even mess with the phone.

I just googled a few combinations of "RNS-315 reset". I checked out several of the threads and it turns out that, while the 510 does have a button combination for rebooting, the 315 does not. The proffered solutions are either pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery, and there is no guarantee that either will solve whatever problem you may be having. Good luck to us all...