GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing the Sony XAV-AX5000, USB to center console?

2020hs

Hi,

Looking at getting one of these units then bringing the 2 usb slots through to the center console, has anyone had experience with doing this? Seems like a more convenient location. Does anyone know what sort of adapter I would need to continue utilising steering wheel functions or will someone from a local parts store be able to help?

Ta

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

Indicted

This would probably be your best bet to bring the USB connections near the center console: https://www.doubleapex.co/collections/mkvi-golf-gti/products/dual-usb-ports
This is what I ended up doing for my XAV-AX100 as I didn't want USB cord laying around inside of my car.

To retain steering wheel control, you need something like this

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4VW11/PAC-RP4-VW11-Wiring-Interface.html?tp=3486

I am able to use following functions: skip, previous and volume control.

After switching the coding In VAGCOM, I can use voice control button as mute(significantly drops the volume).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

otis_bartleh

This is what I ended up doing for my XAV-AX100 as I didn't want USB cord laying around inside of my car.

To retain steering wheel control, you need something like this

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP4VW11/PAC-RP4-VW11-Wiring-Interface.html?tp=3486

I am able to use following functions: skip, previous and volume control.

After switching the coding In VAGCOM, I can use voice control button as mute(significantly drops the volume).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I did something similar when I installed my XAV-AX200 which I use Android Auto on. I used the Double Apex USB pass-through port, but put it in the center console where the stock AUX plug is, since that plug is useless to me. Then I have a 1ft USB cable going from there to my phone, which I keep under the ebrake. It is the perfect length to fit nicely and not have a bunch of cable all over, and keep my phone secure. I had to trim some of the backside of the USB port, and put it sideways for the best fit without modifying the console itself. I also used some paint thinner to remove the "USB" label from the cover so it doesn't look odd. Came out pretty awesome I think.

I used the same item linked above to retain steering wheel control.

A quick charge USB port is going in the far right switch location in front of the shifter for passengers or if I need some juice quick...

Also, for the stereo's microphone, I modified the ashtray I bought to replace the useless storage compartment, and put the microphone in there, coming up through it. It stays out of sight, and works nicely...

Attachments

• 2018-06-28 18.56.32.jpg
    2018-06-28 18.56.32.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 2018-06-28 18.55.41.jpg
    2018-06-28 18.55.41.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 2018-06-28 20.29.44.jpg
    2018-06-28 20.29.44.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 387