GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Question (I know, but this is different)

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
I know there are many many many different kits, diy's, custom, and crappy muffler man jobs out there; but this question is for those who have the knowledge of what sounds good, and what will work with stock set ups.

Now, let me explain. My wife wants the car to stay factory quiet... (she said I could get a CAI or SRI for the car to free up some horses up front, but I know when you do that, you HAVE to free up the tail pipe or it is like a FAN running On HIGH in a Box with a 2 Inch Hole in it... It isn't going to accomplish anything. )

So, being I've been around the shops and the auto shows and racing for a while, I figured out how to get the best of BOTH worlds... Quiet for my wife when we are in the car together, and INSANELY Loud and free flowing when I'm by my self... Now, I want something where I can hear the thing run, listen to that sweet 5 cylinder growl, and then shut if off when she jumps in... The answer to my dilema is an Exhaust Cut Out (leaning to Manual Cable operated due to how low the german cars ride lower factory compared to GM CRAP, and price is 1/3 of the electric ones)...

So, for you gurus of the exhaust and performance. Where in the Factory Exhaust Set up would you recomend about 6" of Pipe to be cut out and a Manual Cable Operated Cut out be placed for maximum sweet sound, without the ricey Wide Open Sound of running straight header... Unless you guys think After cat (practically straight header) would sound GREAT. Like I said above I don't care how crazy loud it will be, since it will be side exit and It can be shut off at any time.

Alright... Get Ready, Set, POST OPINIONS, and Suggestions too of course!

Thanks,
Steve

jaja123

Ready to race!
I personally would not do this. Hearing the automatic shift is not very sexy either. But do it after the cat for sure otherwise you will throw stuff off and it will sound worse. Do it where the catback starts. Let me tell you its going to be really raspy and nasty very loud and annoying. I have experimented with a few setups on mine and I have done the straight pipe from the cat. You will gain power with the CAI on stock exhaust. You will gain less power doing the exhaust. Id suggest a modest 2.5 catback like AWE or a dual borla, Carbonio CAI and a Unitronic or United Motorsports tune(2012 tunes are not out however) for first performance upgrades.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
^ I appreciate the adv, I didn't necessarily say I wanted to do it right after the header or the cat... I asked where in the exhaust would anyone suggest this set up... AGAIN, My wife wants NO noise when she is in the car. She wants that factory quiet ride... I have always had some kind of aftermarket exhaust set up on my rides.

Let me rephrase my question.

Where in the Factory 2.5L exhaust would be a great place to put an Exhaust Cut Out to get the effect I'm going for, I don't care how crazy loud it can get, I want a good clean sound, but I want to be able to shut it off at any time, that is why I want the exhaust Cut Out...

I don't want to replace the entire factory set up so I can have the best of both worlds, Peace and quiet when my wife is in the car, and nice rumble and sound when i'm by myself or with friends...

Again, Thanks,
Steve

jaja123

Ready to race!
cut off the front portion of the stock catback and put the cutout there. It is not going to sound clean though.

Sleepy1

Ready to race!
I know there are many many many different kits, diy's, custom, and crappy muffler man jobs out there; but this question is for those who have the knowledge of what sounds good, and what will work with stock set ups.

Now, let me explain. My wife wants the car to stay factory quiet... (she said I could get a CAI or SRI for the car to free up some horses up front, but I know when you do that, you HAVE to free up the tail pipe or it is like a FAN running On HIGH in a Box with a 2 Inch Hole in it... It isn't going to accomplish anything. )

So, being I've been around the shops and the auto shows and racing for a while, I figured out how to get the best of BOTH worlds... Quiet for my wife when we are in the car together, and INSANELY Loud and free flowing when I'm by my self... Now, I want something where I can hear the thing run, listen to that sweet 5 cylinder growl, and then shut if off when she jumps in... The answer to my dilema is an Exhaust Cut Out (leaning to Manual Cable operated due to how low the german cars ride lower factory compared to GM CRAP, and price is 1/3 of the electric ones)...

So, for you gurus of the exhaust and performance. Where in the Factory Exhaust Set up would you recomend about 6" of Pipe to be cut out and a Manual Cable Operated Cut out be placed for maximum sweet sound, without the ricey Wide Open Sound of running straight header... Unless you guys think After cat (practically straight header) would sound GREAT. Like I said above I don't care how crazy loud it will be, since it will be side exit and It can be shut off at any time.

Alright... Get Ready, Set, POST OPINIONS, and Suggestions too of course!

Thanks,
Steve

Dude I am thinking about doing the same but thinking more electric tho..

XZT123

Ready to race!
Didn't like old muscle cars have "cheater pipes" or something to that effect that was basically the same thing, they'd switch the pipe over to a 2nd exhaust for drag race?

Do like a 2nd set of exhaust tips, have 2 in the back on each side one that's basically straight through, and another that goes through the cat/muffler and switch between them. I'm not sure about the mechanics and where things would fit.. sounds like a crazy idea...

Anyway.. you should just get whatever exhaust you want and tell the wife she can have some shoes and a purse. :lol:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Anyway.. you should just get whatever exhaust you want and tell the wife she can have some shoes and a purse. :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out why he is letting her out of the kitchen? :iono:

:D

ChiGuyGolf2.5

Ready to race!
You do realize that a CAI ALONE is still "loud" in an average users mind right? I mean if you added just an SRI and CAI, it won't meet your wifes demands of "NO noise". If you think your wife will still be okay with it, then I would suggest you run a GTI stock exahaust. Its 2.5" so you gain a little bit of airflow. Also, I hear that it opens up the top end, but still has zero drone. Just a thought.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
well, she isn't going to be pissed about the acceleration noise from the CAI, it is going down the road at speed drone from an exhaust set up, and I frankly want something burbling at idle, medium loud at speed, and SCREAMING at WOT!... As for what I'm going to do, I'm thinking of taking that "carry on" out, and replacing it with the cut out and piping... that way it is right there by the rear wheel well for side exit, and then it gives me just a touch more coming out the rear when she is in the car :thumbsup:

the carry out I'm refering to is the first muffler, not the resonator, but the first muffler... I've been informed by an exhaust shop that the rear muffler is where all the noise is muffled...is this true?

What do you think?

Last edited:

jaja123

Ready to race!
Awhile back I took out the suitcase muffler(the last one) and then I did the mid muffler. Taking out the mid muffler made more of a difference. They both muffle a lot. That mid muffler is like right dead center with the wheel well not before or behind it so its gonna be trickey to get that side exit.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
actually, the pipe that goes into the mid muffler is right where I need it to be, then from there I can just make a 90* bend and out to the suitcase