GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump, timing chain service

Mj75

Hey fellas, how much would I expect to shell out for the water pump, and full timing chain kit/tensioner/guide fix . Ty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
In the last month I had 2 quotes from different shops for the chain/tensioner labor/parts. One shop was like $1650, the other was like $1720. That also includes the $200 lower chain cover.

Not sure what the water pump would cost.

I'm gonna order my own parts for the chain/tensioner just so I'm not paying a whole bunch at one time, then have them installed a few months later.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
In the last month I had 2 quotes from different shops for the chain/tensioner labor/parts. One shop was like $1650, the other was like $1720. That also includes the $200 lower chain cover.

Not sure what the water pump would cost.

I'm gonna order my own parts for the chain/tensioner just so I'm not paying a whole bunch at one time, then have them installed a few months later.

Good idea. Just make sure the shop you choose is OK with you providing your own parts. Some are, but some aren't. Also if a part you supplied fails they will not warranty their work, it will be on your dime. With that amount of labor cost I might be inclined to have them supply the parts. What is the difference in cost theirs to yours?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Good idea. Just make sure the shop you choose is OK with you providing your own parts. Some are, but some aren't. Also if a part you supplied fails they will not warranty their work, it will be on your dime. With that amount of labor cost I might be inclined to have them supply the parts. What is the difference in cost theirs to yours?

I didn't get a detailed quote, was just something quick he gave me over the phone. I've been going to this guy for the last 8 or so years and he's got no problems with me supplying my own parts. I'm not worried about it. The 2nd quote is a new shop in town, but I won't be going to him.

Mj75

I was quoted $1800 parts and labor. Can you guys direct me to a link to the newest water pump design/part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had my timing tensioner and timing chain/guides/cover replaced at 80k miles for $1100+tax. now that i have the old parts of my car in my hand, i am wondering if it was even necessary to pay extra to have the timing chain replaced. After googling it seems like the timing chain is supposed to be a lifetime part.

icloudfiles

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had my timing tensioner and timing chain/guides/cover replaced at 80k miles for $1100+tax. now that i have the old parts of my car in my hand, i am wondering if it was even necessary to pay extra to have the timing chain replaced. After googling it seems like the timing chain is supposed to be a lifetime part.

Where did you get it done if you dont mind my asking. I was quoted $2500 for everything and $900 for just the TCT and Cover.

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
Where did you get it done if you dont mind my asking. I was quoted $2500 for everything and $900 for just the TCT and Cover.

Check out drive auto works llc in clifton NJ i've been going there for past 2 services and theyre honest guys. If you do go their route tell them edward referred you