GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THROTTLE BODY UPGRADE (or replace)

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Your vacuum seems rather high, you should be between 18-20Hg. Check for vacuum leaks.

+1 thats what i was gonna say!

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Well, update. It wasn't a vacuum leak. I had to adapt the throttle body. I didn't use vagcom. Old method, which most will disagree but it worked:

1. Open drivers door.
2. Open hood.
3. Put key in ignition.
4. Turn to ACC.
5. Leave for 3 minutes.
6. Close hood.
7. Turn it over.
8. Enjoy your car starting on the first crank again. :)

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

doesnt work... no way to do it w/ out vagcom

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Could you explain this. If there is a vacuum leak, why would he have more vacuum? Wouldn't it be closer to 0

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, now that I think about it, I agree w you brobst. A vacuum leak would cause a high reading when coupled with other problems like a badly performing cat, partially clogged exhaust, dirty intake filter, sensor problems, etc. By itself it would show a low reading. Although if there is a leak prior to the compressor (turbo in this case) I would think maybe a higher reading could result?? Also, bad bearings or a jacked turbo that doesn't spin freely could cause a high reading.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah im dsg, it feels like since the adaptation fails, the TB is either shut or wide open. At low speeds the car bucks, and acceleration is choppy, 0-35 mph is hell. I also can hear the car bleeding off the excess boost. Cars also running rich to compensate.

For perspective my mod list (eventually gonna make a thread after i'm tuned and this crap is sorted out):

Cobb Tuning AP3-VLK-001
Cobb Tuning Downpipe Non-Resonated
Cobb Tuning Catback
Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold
Spulen Turbo Muffler Delete and Boost Pipes
Fluidampr + ARP Bolt Kit (Crank Pulley)
ARM Motorsports FMIC + Stock IC Delete
Grams 70mm Throttle Body
R8 Coilpacks
NGK BKR7EIX (2667) Spark Plugs Set (4)
Gruven Billet Pulley Set (Alternator and Tension)

Port and Polished Stock Turbo (IHI RHF5)
Forge Wastegate Actuator
GFB DV+

PTP Lava Wrap on Downpipe
PTP Turbo Blanket

Currently running Cobb Stage 2 Stock MAF 93 oct.

Attempted to run the first revision of my stratified map, but anything above ~30-40mph causes overboost and limp mode.
I know someone who ran the TB with I.E manifold and they have 0 issues. And yes I realize in this setup the turbo is now the restriction.

I am having preciously this same issue. Running my stratified base map on my new KO4/IE intake manifold setup and my car is doing the exact same thing. Going to get logs for Alex today to see if he can fix it or if it's just a defective TB.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
I am having preciously this same issue. Running my stratified base map on my new KO4/IE intake manifold setup and my car is doing the exact same thing. Going to get logs for Alex today to see if he can fix it or if it's just a defective TB.

I replied to your pm. Mine was a boost leak causing most of my issues. I am currently back using the stock TB because I could never get the Grams one to adapt properly. Gonna mail it back to them in the next few days.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Yup it was indeed the grams 70mm throttle body. Swapped back to the stock TB and the car runs 100% now. Going to send back to grams for a refund.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Yup it was indeed the grams 70mm throttle body. Swapped back to the stock TB and the car runs 100% now. Going to send back to grams for a refund.

I need to do the same. I think I'll just stick with the stock unit.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
No offense meant to those of you who have gone this route, but since big turbo cars make big power on stock TB and intake manifold, I simply don't understand why anyone would change either of those items out. Seems like the experience is a nice looking engine bay but nothing but problems for vanishingly small gains or a potential misappropriation of the benefit to the upgraded throttle body, when potentially the same responsiveness could be regained with a new OEM-spec throttle body.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
No offense meant to those of you who have gone this route, but since big turbo cars make big power on stock TB and intake manifold, I simply don't understand why anyone would change either of those items out. Seems like the experience is a nice looking engine bay but nothing but problems for vanishingly small gains or a potential misappropriation of the benefit to the upgraded throttle body, when potentially the same responsiveness could be regained with a new OEM-spec throttle body.

Because we’re always pushing to find more power

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Oh for sure, no disrespect meant. I just like to try to understand people's thought processes.

Yeah I know lol. Unfortunately the TB I got from grams won't work.

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Glad i sold mine, i'm not trying to extract every once of power out of my motor. But if you are feeling better throttle response and making more power with the grams, more power to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk