GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Outlet Pipe to Intercooler Coupler

chc29

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 mk6 on stock turbo and stock intercooler. I wanted an aftermarket turbo outlet pipe to eliminate the metal coupler that goes between the stock TOP (pancake) and the stock intercooler hose.

I ended up buying the AWE-Tuning TOP for aftermarket hoses. I trimmed the stock coupler off of the stock intercooler hose, and the hose fits inside of the AWE-tuning TOP. Is that how it's supposed to go? How do I secure this connection if the harder material (the TOP) is on the outside and the softer material (the silicone hose) is on the inside? Do I need another silicone coupling to slip over both the TOP and the intercooler hose to mate this up?

I have an email into AWE but just wanted to see if anyone else have any ideas.

This is the TOP I have: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/315AQV9mNQL.jpg

smanierre

Autocross Champion
The hose has to go on the outside of the TOP. There is no way to tighten metal onto silicon, you would just end up bending the metal and the silicone would just keep getting pushed in.

chc29

Ready to race!
The hose has to go on the outside of the TOP. There is no way to tighten metal onto silicon, you would just end up bending the metal and the silicone would just keep getting pushed in.

Yeah that's what I thought as well but the way the ends looked (how the end of the TOP was flared out) it almost seems like the hose need to insert into the TOP. I have no idea how I could be able to stretch the stock hose over the TOP. Are the aftermarket intercooler hoses much larger in diameter?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Looking at pictures online now I see what you're saying, looks like it's only meant to work with the metal coupler. I haven't done this on my car yet so I don't have any experience with the install, but it would seem the metal coupler is needed.

chc29

Ready to race!
Looking at pictures online now I see what you're saying, looks like it's only meant to work with the metal coupler. I haven't done this on my car yet so I don't have any experience with the install, but it would seem the metal coupler is needed.

AWE sells 2 versions of that TOP: one that is meant to take the stock coupler, and the one I bought which is meant for aftermarket hoses without the coupler. Take a look at the photo in my opening post. I was under the impression that if I trim my stock hoses, I can use the "aftermarket hose" version of the TOP, now I'm not so sure.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure then, I would call them to ask how it works, they will probably know best.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
The AWE S3 top is used with an aftermarket intercooler hose that will slip over the S3 top and get rid of that rediculous coupler that is prone to leaking. The only other solution is to find a Neuspeed Audi TT pipe that was discontinued a while back, that I currently have and not using.......

chc29

Ready to race!
The AWE S3 top is used with an aftermarket intercooler hose that will slip over the S3 top and get rid of that rediculous coupler that is prone to leaking. The only other solution is to find a Neuspeed Audi TT pipe that was discontinued a while back, that I currently have and not using.......

Would a possible solution be if I get a silicone reducing coupler, the large end slips over the S3 TOP, the other smaller end slips over the stock hose, use a worm or t-bolt clamp on both sides?

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Not that I’m aware of....

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
Are you using the stock intercooler? Golf R?

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I don’t believe it’s possible. At stock power levels you should be fine with the oem pipe?

chc29

Ready to race!
That AWE S3 pipe isn't gonna work for you...it's too big for the OEM hose (now without the coupler) to slide over. I found that out a few years back:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104107

So, my solution was this...which is EXACTLY what you're trying to do/accomplish....for your reading pleasure: :thumbsup:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104607

Sadly I saw those posts but you had the Golf R intercooler so I wasn't sure it was the same situation...

I already have the AWE TOP.. so here's my plan to try and make this work:

get a 2.5" to 2" 45 degree silicone reducer,
slip the 2.5" end over the AWE S3 TOP
slip a 2" aluminum joiner into the 2" end of the elbow
trim the stock intercooler hose even more to slip onto the 2" joiner,
clamp the 3 connections together with t-bolt clamps

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The TT pipe I used would simply replace your OEM turbo outlet pipe...same fitment (the Golf R intercooler doesn't play a factor) & eliminate the clip connection, which is what you were looking for

With your idea, you're creating another joint (cobbled together) that could be prone to failure/leak IMO

K.I.S.S.