GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DISCOVERED MY CAR IS STAGE II W/ APR DOWNPIPE..

eherma

UMMM OK. I just discovered my car is APR stage II, and I have access to the files on the ECU, AND I stuck my phone under my car and got a picture of the downpipe and it says APR!!

I don't even know what to think right now.. What do I do? On one hand I have a stage II tuned car with intake and a downpipe, plus its under a bumper to bumper warranty from VW. But the clutch began slipping ONLY in top gear / load at mid - low rpms.

What do I do?!

Do I tell the VW dealership? Do I tell them the car is / has been tuned? Do I bargain for them to fix my clutch?

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Fix the clutch.. get the software. They will tell u if its flagged TD1 (tuned)

eherma

Fix the clutch.. get the software. They will tell u if its flagged TD1 (tuned)

Thanks for the reply, but I know 100% the software is on the car. I just cruised in stock, stage 1, then stage 2. If I bring it in, VW will reset it..

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
I am guessing if it is a 2013, and it has a warranty that it is an extended CPO warranty (World Auto maybe?) or something like that which is separate from the VW factory warranty.

You're likely fine, just tell them if it isn't under warranty to stop the work and you will come back and pick up the car.

Go to Further Performance or SCI. Westside is borderline incompetent, too many issues to even begin discussing.

eherma

I am guessing if it is a 2013, and it has a warranty that it is an extended CPO warranty (World Auto maybe?) or something like that which is separate from the VW factory warranty.

You're likely fine, just tell them if it isn't under warranty to stop the work and you will come back and pick up the car.

Go to Further Performance or SCI. Westside is borderline incompetent, too many issues to even begin discussing.

Well, the warranty was given by Luther Westside VW, and it last for another 5 years or until like 105,000 miles or something. I'm at 48,000 now.

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, the warranty was given by Luther Westside VW, and it last for another 5 years or until like 105,000 miles or something. I'm at 48,000 now.

I wish you luck. If the warranty was from VW it should work at any VW dealership.

Westside has washed my car when I asked them not to.
They lost my car for over 2 hours once.
They billed me for work that wasn't done (billed me for tune up and I plug a dirty fouled spark plug when I got home).
Went into them without a bulb out error. They came back and said did you know you have a bulb out? The work is done, we just need you to authorize this extra $60 to change your taillight. No thats okay I can do it myself. oh... Then he disappears for 45 minutes and brings my car back. I honestly think they had to break the light bulb, because it was broken when I took it out, not just burnt out.
They put back on my oil plug without a crush ring and on my way home I got a "STOP ENGINE NOW" light and had to tow it back.
When my car was in to have the manifold replace I came back to about 350 unexplained extra miles on my car... "Well we have to test drive it after the repair" was the explanation I got.

Those issues were with my MkV. I complained to Luther and to VWoA and got nowhere. I bought my MkVI from Schmelz and refuse to deal with Luther. Schmelz also did my warranty manifold replacement on the MkVI and I had no issues.

I hope your experience with them is different than mine.

slowgti08

Ready to race!
I wish you luck. If the warranty was from VW it should work at any VW dealership.

Westside has washed my car when I asked them not to.

They lost my car for over 2 hours once.

They billed me for work that wasn't done (billed me for tune up and I plug a dirty fouled spark plug when I got home).

Went into them without a bulb out error. They came back and said did you know you have a bulb out? The work is done, we just need you to authorize this extra $60 to change your taillight. No thats okay I can do it myself. oh... Then he disappears for 45 minutes and brings my car back. I honestly think they had to break the light bulb, because it was broken when I took it out, not just burnt out.

They put back on my oil plug without a crush ring and on my way home I got a "STOP ENGINE NOW" light and had to tow it back.

When my car was in to have the manifold replace I came back to about 350 unexplained extra miles on my car... "Well we have to test drive it after the repair" was the explanation I got.

Those issues were with my MkV. I complained to Luther and to VWoA and got nowhere. I bought my MkVI from Schmelz and refuse to deal with Luther. Schmelz also did my warranty manifold replacement on the MkVI and I had no issues.

I hope your experience with them is different than mine.

Jesus Christ this dealer is ran by wrench monkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawag77

Ready to race!
I thought the clutch was only covered for 15k miles no matter what warranty you were under. If they do warranty it, they'll just replace with OEM. It sounds like you need something stronger anyway.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the reply, but I know 100% the software is on the car. I just cruised in stock, stage 1, then stage 2. If I bring it in, VW will reset it..
AFAIK there's no need to touch the ecu for a clutch job. Hell no codes to run. Never heard of a stealership reflashing software anyhow. I had my t.o.b. And clutch done under tsb with stage 1. They knew it was flashed only after they test drove it... still not flagged btw. I've had two intakes done and coil packs under warranty.... no reflash... unless things are different in US shops....

Anyhow some good info on this page. Make a move then sit back and keep grinning while you blaze through the gears :happyanim::happyanim::D

eherma

The way I see it is you lucked out and got some free stuff that you likely would have paid out of pocket for anyways. Buy a clutch (not oem) and have it put in. Rejoice in the fact that you got a downpipe and software for free.

True, and that's definitely how I look at it. Another part of me is nervous because I bought the car yes to have some gun GTIs are great, but also for reliability.

I am worried who had it before me bought the upgrades and drove the shit out of it and dumped it while they could..

I know if I bring it in and told them they sold me a tuned car, they would have to fix my clutch at no charge. But then I'd lose the software(which would be more cheap for me to re buy rather than the clutch).

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOO.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
True, and that's definitely how I look at it. Another part of me is nervous because I bought the car yes to have some gun GTIs are great, but also for reliability.

I am worried who had it before me bought the upgrades and drove the shit out of it and dumped it while they could..

I know if I bring it in and told them they sold me a tuned car, they would have to fix my clutch at no charge. But then I'd lose the software(which would be more cheap for me to re buy rather than the clutch).

If you got used to the car at stage2 levels you're going to hate it going back to stock.

These cars take a beating pretty well. I wouldn't worry so much if the previous owner beat on it or not as long as it's running fine. Put a stage 2 clutch in and enjoy the car.

eherma

If you got used to the car at stage2 levels you're going to hate it going back to stock.

These cars take a beating pretty well. I wouldn't worry so much if the previous owner beat on it or not as long as it's running fine. Put a stage 2 clutch in and enjoy the car.

Yea, the car had been on stage 1 for the first year I had it, until I put a boost gauge in and realized it had to be tuned at that point(this week lol) I have been changing through the settings. I cruised around on stock and obviously it was less fun. But I'm 26 and am a high school teacher.. so I don't feel the need to boost like I used to.. :p

Thanks for the input.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You've had the car for a year? VW isn't gonna do anything for you.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion

My car has been beat on by me since 33k. Always properly taken care of but these cars can take a beating.

^^ this. I've never switched back to stock but driving other stock cars or loaner cars are always very disappointing lol.

You've had the car for a year? VW isn't gonna do anything for you.

Also this.