GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HPA K04 users need some input

Yadadameans

Ready to race!
Who's running the HPA K04 on here? I just need some input and reviews about this turbo. I've asked around on Facebook on Burnallmk6s group and some people say that the wastegate is weak that comes with the turbo.
I plan to get Stratified Tune with my Cobb AP.
Any input helps thanks!

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Who's running the HPA K04 on here? I just need some input and reviews about this turbo. I've asked around on Facebook on Burnallmk6s group and some people say that the wastegate is weak that comes with the turbo.
Any input helps thanks!

Stick to just a borg warner ko4 and save yourself the headache. The quality control on Hpas ko4 is awful.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Stick to just a borg warner ko4 and save yourself the headache. The quality control on Hpas ko4 is awful.

Do you have any actual examples of this? Did you run one or have friends that did? I'm interested as well, but I want to hear details of quality issues instead of a blanket statement. I've heard about possible wastegate problems, anything else?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have any actual examples of this? Did you run one or have friends that did? I'm interested as well, but I want to hear details of quality issues instead of a blanket statement. I've heard about possible wastegate problems, anything else?

I have a friend who runs one and had nothing but problems with the wastegate acuator. Stratified has had nothing but a problem tuning it. Alex basically told him to either get a new acuator or buy a new turbo.

VDubGTI12

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had one in my car since June with a United Motorsport tune. It was a breeze to tune and hasn’t given me any issues (fingers crossed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danman1280

I have a HPA K04 and have had 0 issues with the WGA. It did require some tweaking with the crack pressure when I initially got the kit on, but other than that nothing. Also, HPA has awesome customer service Darryl and Alan are awesome and will help you in whatever way they can.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I have a HPA K04 and have had 0 issues with the WGA. It did require some tweaking with the crack pressure when I initially got the kit on, but other than that nothing. Also, HPA has awesome customer service Darryl and Alan are awesome and will help you in whatever way they can.

I've spoken with Darryl before. Very nice guy. I recall Doug making a reference to them ripping off his design (which turned out to be a POS itself) in a post I read a long time ago. I'm not saying it actually was. Just saying.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Any input helps thanks!

I got 90k on my HPA turbo/tune with NO problems.

There was a tinkling contest a few years ago or abouts between them and FrankenTurbo.

You might want to find out which turbo Stratified recommends, and research that option. I've read about, and was told by tuners that not all turbos play nicely with other companies tunes.

I reached out to United Motorsport in CT, and they do tune the HPA turbo, I was gonna look into that, but my wallet says otherwise.......

OhioMK6

Ready to race!

There was a tinkling contest a few years ago or abouts between them and FrankenTurbo.

You might want to find out which turbo Stratified recommends, and research that option. I've read about, and was told by tuners that not all turbos play nicely with other companies tunes.

I reached out to United Motorsport in CT, and they do tune the HPA turbo, I was gonna look into that, but my wallet says otherwise.......

When did you buy your HPA turbo? They used to sell Borg Warner K04 kits, but switched to a K04 "hybrid" a little while back.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Imo the actual Borg Warner k04 will be the most reliable, tried and true version that can be used. The hybrids will put out more power, but at what cost?

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Imo the actual Borg Warner k04 will be the most reliable, tried and true version that can be used. The hybrids will put out more power, but at what cost?

I don't think the HPA K04 "Hybrid" is a hybrid in the traditional sense, and won't make more power over a regular K04. The F23T is a hybrid with different internals.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The quality control on Hpas ko4 is awful.

That's the first time I've ever heard that.

I've also read a few people have noted the waste gate is weak from the factory. It's easily swapped out to fit your needs/application.