GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone know this car? '14 GTI LI, NY

jschusteritsch

I've tried this in a few FB groups with no luck but maybe someone here knows this car:
I was hoping someone in here could help me out... I'm looking for info on a car I'm considering purchasing from Brown's Jeep/Dodge/etc in Patchogue, NY. Car is a 2014 GTI Driver's Edition, previous owner was from Cohoes, NY and went to school at St. Josephs in Patchogue (saw a parking sticker), kept the car in amazing condition and did a host of modifications (what I know of are the OZ wheels, APR CAI, boost gauge with questionable tap, a possible short shifter, possible APR stg2 flash if it hasn't been erased, and a red flagged warranty in the VW system). Was hoping to find the old owner to get more info on what was done and if there were any issues to be aware of, if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Car by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

Car by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I believe I used to see this car parked at one of my companies offices. Had a NGP Racing plate frame on it.

Will see if I can dig up a pic.

jschusteritsch

I believe I used to see this car parked at one of my companies offices. Had a NGP Racing plate frame on it.

Will see if I can dig up a pic.

Thanks! It’s not PSEG/Nat Grid by any chance is it? I’m with PSEG and know there’s a handful of VW guys in a few of our offices.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Whats the mileage on car, list price? DSG/MTX?

Personally, I would not touch a modified car, unless I was buying it from a family member or good friend who I trusted. Considering they left all the mods on the car means they wanted out otherwise they would have put it back to stock and made $$ on parts. And yes it could be well maintained, but the reality is an Intake and Stage2 tune means it was driven hard, and could need other things tended too in the future.

zrickety

The Fixer
Not everybody saves the stock parts or sells their upgrades. There are many reasons to trade in, need a bigger car, wanted an mk7, etc. I have always sold my modded cars as is, without an issue. A test drive will tell you everything you need to know, do an inspection, if you like it take it home. Crawl underneath or ask to see it on the lift, you'll find all the mods. Service history is nice, but not mandatory. As long as the car wasn't salvaged, I would go ahead and get it.

jschusteritsch

Whats the mileage on car, list price? DSG/MTX?

Personally, I would not touch a modified car, unless I was buying it from a family member or good friend who I trusted. Considering they left all the mods on the car means they wanted out otherwise they would have put it back to stock and made $$ on parts. And yes it could be well maintained, but the reality is an Intake and Stage2 tune means it was driven hard, and could need other things tended too in the future.

6 speed. Generally I'm the same way which is why I'm doing my due diligence first. Everything looks real clean with the exception of that boost tap that held on with what looks like hot glue. I've owned a lot of VW's ver the last 15 years and none were stock with the exception of my current wagons, so I have a good idea what I'm getting myself into ;)

Not everybody saves the stock parts or sells their upgrades. There are many reasons to trade in, need a bigger car, wanted an mk7, etc. I have always sold my modded cars as is, without an issue. A test drive will tell you everything you need to know, do an inspection, if you like it take it home. Crawl underneath or ask to see it on the lift, you'll find all the mods. Service history is nice, but not mandatory. As long as the car wasn't salvaged, I would go ahead and get it.

This seems to be the case here... I know the car had a DP at one time (when it was flashed stg2), but after looking today with my friend who is a VW mechanic we saw a stock DP and fully stock exhaust. We vag-com'd the car and it came back with an intermittent fan sensor fault but that was it, also I tested the cruise control stalk and it appears to still have some software programmed, I'll call my other friend who is an APR dealer and did the software to find out exactly what programs it has.

Lastly, I found a pile of service records in the owners manual with the original owners name... I'll try sending him a msg on FB and hopefully he can give me a heads up if there's anything major I need to know about.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Do it! Looks clean. I would also probably not part out if I ever sold my car but can tell you it would be one of the cleanest 2014 GTI's around and driven moderate. I get on it here and there but who wouldn't? Honestly, some believe it should be driven hard to keep it healthy, you know carbon cleaning and all :D lol.

I'm digging them wheeeeeeels!

jschusteritsch

So I found the orig. owner, sent him a msg on FB and ended up having a 10min convo on the phone where he pretty much gave me the car's history. He put a lot of care into the car and told me exactly what he traded it in for (money wise and what he got, a Wrangler, talk about a change). Long story short, I talked the dealer down to $14k and am now the proud new owner of this car :-D I didn't feel like installing a DP and dealing with inspection issues so I had my friend's shop reflash it to stage 1 and couldn't be happier.

How it sits currently, I don't have many plans for it, maybe some springs next year but that's about it, I just got new Blizzaks on a set of steelies I had and will be throwing them on in the next week or so:
November 24, 2018-JS1_0153-web by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr